Cannot install Safari Extension on Mojave

Options
cbtilt
cbtilt
Community Member

Hello,

I cannot install the Safari Extension on Mojave. When I go to the Apple link I don't get an option to download (see screenshot). I tried downloading the extension directly and loading it into ~/Library/Safari/Extensions but it was not recognized by Safari. Please let me know how I can get the Safari Extension back.

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.1
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: 10.14 (18A336e)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• rudy
    edited July 2018
    Options

@cbtilt,

do you have some form of content blocker installed in Safari? That's the only scenario we've seen where the Safari Extension Gallery doesn't display an "install now" button just below the listed description.

Developer ID signed extensions are no longer possible in 10.14 and Safari Tech Preview (to be more widely deployed later this year as Safari 12), so the only way to install our legacy extension is to use the Safari Extension Gallery at this time.

• cbtilt
    cbtilt
    Community Member
    Options

No, I don't have any type of content blocker installed. The message at the top says "Extensions in this gallery run in Safari 9.0 or newer" so that is the reason it is not coming up. It's acting like I have an old version of Safari but I have 12.0. This is occurring since the last developer beta a day ago or so.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cbtilt - I'm not quite sure what might be going on here, mostly because it's a fast-moving work-in-progress (Mojave). For now, I'd recommend you use either Chrome or Firefox if you need to be able to use both a beta version of the operating system and 1Password. Obviously, we'll be working to make sure that when Mojave is released publicly in non-beta format, we'll be there on day one, compatible. But that's something we can't and won't try to do with beta releases.

• xZH
    xZH
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Same problem here. This is on a new machine, with recently installed public beta 3 on my iMac 5K.

For what it's worth, I get the exact same behavior on my rMBP running High Sierra, and not just with 1Password's extension.

EDIT: WTF?! I refreshed the extension page on my iMac 5K running Mojave PB3, and the "Install Now" icon appeared. This is baffling.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@xZH - like I mentioned up above, this is a bleeding-edge, work-in-progress affair (like most betas). I can't explain why that might've failed on one go and worked the next, but I'd say if you've got the opportunity, go for it -- install that SEG extension.

• xZH
    xZH
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars. Just to be clear, this does not appear to be a Mojave issue, nor does it appear to be a 1Password issue. While I was able to install the 1Password extension on Mojave on the second try, I'm unable to install any extensions at all under High Sierra. I only mention this for others searching for a solution to this problem. It doesn't appear to be a problem that you are able to solve.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the input, @xZH

Ben

• spynovel
    spynovel
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting the same thing. Also does not show in App Store extension gallery. How is this post 5 days old without a response?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm getting the same thing. Also does not show in App Store extension gallery.

@spynovel: Here's the link:

https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

I can install from there, and others I talked to earlier can as well. I'm not sure why some folks cannot, but it isn't something we have control over unfortunately. Safari and the gallery are both operated exclusively by Apple.

How is this post 5 days old without a response?

There are no posts in this thread which have gone 5 days without a response.

• spynovel
    spynovel
    Community Member
    Options

My apologies brenty. For some reason I can only see the original questions with no responses in Safari. Not sure what's going on, but I can see the rest in other browsers. Are you saying that you can install the 1Paswword extension from that link on the Mojave beta? I was able to originally, but once I did a clean install, I can see the page but there are no install buttons.

• Ben
    Options

@spynovel

It sounds like you have a content blocker installed which may be the cause of both problems (not seeing all posts here and not seeing the install button on Apple’s site).

Ben

• spynovel
    spynovel
    Community Member
    Options

I thought that might be it too. I turned off all content blockers. That fixed the forums for me, but did not fix the extension gallery.
    I found that if I go to safari-extensions.apple.com directly and follow the 1Password link there (as opposed to following the link from the 1Password app), I get the install button even though the URLs are the same.

• Ben
    Options

Interesting. Thanks for letting us know about that. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I feel like Safari content blockers should whitelist apple.com :lol:

• nojetlag
    nojetlag
    Community Member
    Options

Having the same problem, can't see any 1password extension, neither on the website nor on the App Store.

• Hi @nojetlag ,

Did you follow the directions from spynovel above?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• kimar
    kimar
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same issue, then I installed the current Safari Technology Preview, inside the preview version I was able to install the extension with the direct link provided above. Then I quite the tech preview, quit the Safari stable that came with Mojave, re-launched Safari stable and voila, the link provided above worked and I was able to install the extension. Not sure if the tech preview hassle was even necessary or if a simple Safari re-launch would have done the job, however it's working now 👍

• davidwb
    davidwb
    Community Member
    Options

I’ll pile on. Both on my beta Mojave and the Sierra 12 beta on High Sierra I was unable to see the install now button until I saw brently's July 23 post. Thanks for the post!!!

• genimac
    genimac
    Community Member
    Options

As spynovel said going directly to the apple extension page make the install link appear.
    Do you have a beta version to test on Mojave beta? :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kimar, @davidwb: That's great! Glad to hear all is well for you now. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018
    Options

@genimac: We don't have anything specifically for Mojave at this point, but you will see anything like that in the beta first. You can opt-in at any time. Cheers! :)

• genimac
    genimac
    Community Member
    Options

7,1 Beta 3 working on Mojave last beta on my MacBook Aluminium 2008. Some times there are glitches on the UI, like a white field with white text, but it must be more the patch to make Mojave run on my test computer than the betas.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yeah, we haven't made changes in that area so it does seem like it's specific to the beta and/or your setup. But thank you for mentioning it in case it comes up for anyone else! :)

• rudy
    Options

@genimac,

7.1 won't be directly supporting dark mode, so you're going to see many of those visual glitches.

• ObjectConsulting
    ObjectConsulting
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps this will help some people?

--Safari --> Preferences ->> Websites --> Pop-up Windows

"click" install

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Interesting. I haven't noticed that setting before. It must be new. Thank you for sharing!

• ObjectConsulting
    ObjectConsulting
    Community Member
    Options

:p No problem! Is there an active Mojave thread with best practices?

Like should I/we be installing the (ladybug) beta builds?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ObjectConsulting - if you're the type of person who likes to live on the edge and get the newest goodies before everyone else, then yes. If you're willing to run the beta of an entire OS, then running the beta of 1Password 7 for Mac shouldn't be a stretch at all for you. But, you know, usual caveats: more likelihood of critters, etc. For the upcoming Mojave stuff, I'd absolutely recommend being on the betas of 1Password for Mac.

• ObjectConsulting
    ObjectConsulting
    Community Member
    Options

:) 8-) :)

• rudy
    Options

@ObjectConsulting,

Your best bet for Mojave compatibility will appear in the 7.2 betas, so 7.1 won't be a substantial Mojave improvement for you, though that's not to say there aren't improvements in 7.1. You can see the latest fixes available there under https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7#beta

This discussion has been closed.