Tags vs. folders?

Guffee
Guffee
Community Member

I presently have a standalone version of 1PW, 1PW6, on my hard drive. I would like to switch to the subscription version of 1PW7. However, I don't understand whether or not folders are supported in the subscription. I hear a lot about tags, and I've never used them although I may learn to do so later. I want the use of folders, so please tell me: Does 1PW7 allow a user to use folders (and avoid tags)?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Resilio Sync on my hard drive over our home LAN

Comments

• @Guffee,

1Password 7 and by extension 1Password.com don't support folders anymore. Their replacement is indeed Tags, so I'd definitely recommend reading up on Tags.

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member

That is what I was afraid of. I'll give Tags a try.

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member

Thanks, Rudy.

• Just a note here, tags has been improved in version 7. Tags can now be nested like folders could. Put a / between words in a tag to nest them. e.g. Finances/Mortage will show up in the side bar as a Finances tag that can be opened up to show a Mortgage tag.

And of course, unlike folders you can apply several tags to an item. So you could have Finances/Mortgage and Finances/Bills if you wanted.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member

Thank you, very, very much, Kevin. That could make a big difference to me. I'm behind times, as I've never used Tags in any instance. Now, when I give them a try, I'll have high hopes that I'll be able to emulate folders.

My regards,
    Don

• @Guffee,

I can't think of anything at this point that folders can do that tags cannot, but there are things that tags enable that folders do not. For example, an item can only be in one folder, but it can have many tags.

Ben

• Raca
    Raca
    Community Member

Hi,

Before 1Password 7 I was a big fan of Folders in 1P. I had folders like "Forums", "Public Services", "Retail", "Home Logins", etc.

After upgrading to version 7, my folders were changed into tags. Ok why not.
    And I definitely will keep using these tags as I did with folders.

But in previous versions I created an intelligent folder which was always automatically listing all the items that were not in any folder (for example any new item created in from my web browser that I forgot to move into a folder).

My question is: How can I have the same list in 1Password 7? In other words is there a way to identify "orphan" items?

• Hi @Raca

“Smart Folders” were a Mac specific feature that is no longer supported. We are hoping to find a cross platform solution that we can implement in the future. At present what you’re requesting isn’t possible, sorry.

Ben

• Raca
    Raca
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Too Bad. But thank you for your answer.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Raca - on behalf of Ben, you're welcome. I know it's not the answer you were hoping for, but the various platforms do not handle saved searches (which is really what Smart Folders are) identically. We hope to be able to find a more-robust solution that will work cross-platform reliably, but until such time, thank you for your patience with us.

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Rudy, Kevin, & Ben --
    Thank you very much for your replies. There's one thing, though, that I didn't make clear. I've always used multi-level folders, and I'm afraid that tags can only work with single-level folders, and not multi-level folders. PLEASE tell me I'm wrong :)
    (And, Ben, I know what you mean by tags' great advantage. They are like pointers, and more than one can point at the same target.)

Thanks, all three of you.

• Thank you very much for your replies.

You are very welcome.

PLEASE tell me I'm wrong

You are wrong. :tongue: :wink:

Nested tags

Use a special syntax to nest tags. Add a slash between words in a tag to create nested tags in the sidebar.

(From https://support.1password.com/explore/whats-new-mac/ )

Ben

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

wow - the news about about nested tags passed me by - looking forward to using that! :+1:

• :+1: :)

Ben

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member

Ben, that's good news, and your "You are wrong." was perfect :) However, it looks like child-tags cannot hide within parent-tags (as folders can within folders) and that if there are 400 logins there will be 400 lines (whereas I have 420 logins neatly arranged with only 12 parent-folders at the root level). Once again, I hope I am wrong. Could I bother you once more for an answer?

• Ben, that's good news, and your "You are wrong." was perfect

I'm glad you took it in the spirit it was intended. :)

Once again, I hope I am wrong.

Perhaps, but I'm not entirely sure I follow the question. Are you saying you have a different tag for each login? If so would you mind explaining why you're doing that?

You are correct that sub-tags cannot be collapsed so that only the parent tag shows.

Ben

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member

Ben, it's good of you to hang in here with me.
    I can't explain it in terms of "tags" since I am not yet familiar with them. I'm assuming anyone would have a different tag for each login. Am I wrong (again!)?

• @Guffee

I can’t say I’ve ever heard of having a different tag for each login. I’ve got over 1000 items but only a dozen or so tags... What would be the purpose of having a different tag for each item? In my mind that’d be a bit like having a different drawer for each spoon. :)

Ben

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member

I wasn't advocating such a thing; I was only asking for clarification. Do you have, then, on average, about 80 logins for each Tag?

• I don’t, no. Most of my tags only have ~10 or less items in them. Most of my items do not have tags. But that doesn’t mean your use case would or should be similar. I would imagine our houses are organized differently and so I don’t see any reason to expect that our 1Password data would be organized the same way.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.