How to stop password being filled in

One of my bank accounts requests random digits from my password. I have stored the complete password in 1PW and have both "Never display in browser" and "Never submit" checked. I thought these would prevent anything being filled in in the bank's password field but when i click on 1PW to open up the bank's signs page they don't, so I get an error message and have to go back and replace what 1PW has filled in. What am I missing?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Stop password being filled in.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@robbiees: If you're telling 1Password to fill on the page, then setting the login to Never Submit would allow you to enter any additional info you need to and submit the form yourself. However, based on your description (and the fact that you already tried Never Submit), it sounds like it's not 1Password at all but perhaps your browser's autofill feature. If you haven't already, it's best to disable it:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Now, that still won't prevent 1Password from filling your login credentials if you tell it to using the keyboard — ⌘ \ — or mouse. If you don't want it to, don't select the login; just go to the site and enter the information yourself. It may help you to use the Large Type feature:

That will get you your password in a window that makes it easy to find what you need:

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• robbiees
    robbiees
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply.

I like using the keychain to fill in my passwords when I've not used 1PW to reach a website that needs a password. However I never save my bank passwords in the keychain, and I've just checked it to confirm that there's not a password stored there for the bank in question. I've also brought up the bank's sign on screen by just clicking on the link in a Google search and Safari doesn't try to enter any password details so it doesn't seem that Safari is to blame.

I think the problem has to do with the fact that the bank first wants a customer number before bringing up the password screen. I have this number set as the username in 1PW. There is a facility to get this stored in the cookie, and I see that using just the bank's URL starts off a search of the cookie to see if the number is stored there. Perhaps what was happening was that the website was filling in the number from the cookie and then using the customer number from 1PW to fill in the password details. Anyway I had a look at the cookie, it was quite an extensive one, and deleted it and this seems to have solved my problem. Now 1PW fills in the customer number on the first screen and the second password one comes up empty for me to fill in the password details manually. I think this should now work OK provided I don't click the box on the first screen for the password to be stored in the cookie. Does this make sense to you?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not sure we'll ever know without being able to test it ourselves, but I'm glad that did the trick for you. If you have questions about anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.