Can't find a way to navigate to USB Flash Drive to backup 1Password 6 Data for move to new computer

Options
NoGo
NoGo
Community Member

I am moving to a new computer. I do not use ICloud Backup. Old Computer MacBook Air OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 with 1Password 6.8.8. New computer MacBook Pro MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6. Using USB Flash Drive instructions, I get as far as Preferences > Sync, Select Vault, Choose Folder. Then I cannot find a way to navigate to the USB drive. [by the way, about 2 years ago, I manually moved 1Password 3 to the MacBook Air by copying folder] I don't use the 1 Password Extension. I did purchase 1Password for IPhone a long time ago, but either deleted it or never downloaded it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can't find a way to navigate to USB Flash Drive to backup 1Password 6 Data for move to new computer

Comments

• NoGo
    NoGo
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

I DO NOT sync with ICloud
    1Password Version 6.8.8
    Not using 1 Password Extension.
    Old Computer Operating System OS X 10.11.6
    New Computer Operating System macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6
    I do not use 1Password on my 1Phone
    I am trying to use USB Flash Drive to Sync my data from 1 Password 6.8.8. I complete Preferences > Sync, select vault, Choose Folder from drop down menu. Then I cannot find a way to navigate to the USB Flash Drive. So I cannot move data to the new computer unless you have other instructions or a different manual method.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
    _Extension Version:
    None
    OS Version: 10.13.6
    Sync Type: NONE
    Referrer: forum-search:Can't find a way to navigate to USB Flash Drive to backup 1Password 6 Data for move to new computer

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@NoGo - sorry for the trouble you're having getting your 1Password data moved from your older El Capitan-based Mac to the new MacBook Pro with High Sierra. I assume you mean these directions but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Assuming that's correct, this is what writing out a sync keychain to your USB flash drive would look like. First, make sure you've inserted the USB flash drive to your older Mac. Next, click Preferences > Sync in 1Password. Choose the correct vault in 1Password's sidebar (you may have only one, that's OK):

Next, click the drop-down menu and choose Folder:

This will open the following window; click the "Choose" button to select where you want 1Password to write out the sync keychain.

Clicking the Choose button will open another navigation window to actually select the location. In the left sidebar of the navigation window, scroll down until you see the "Devices" list, which should contain the USB flash drive you inserted into your Mac. Click to select it, then click the "Open" button in the lower-right of the window -- or just press "Return" on your keyboard:

This will bring up one final window showing 1Password 6 for Mac about to create a new sync keychain on your USB flash drive, called OPVault. It will look something like 1password.opvault or similar, depending on title - in this example, it's "demo.opvault":

Click the "Create New" button to create the keychain, then proceed with the remainder of the instructions. Let me know if you have any other problems or questions.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

(by the way, I've merged your two threads, since they were essentially identical) :)

• NoGo
    NoGo
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Thanks for getting back to me. This is a picture of the window I see, and that is why I get stuck. I should mention that 2 years ago I manually moved the folder for 1Password version 3.8.2 from a MacBook Pro running MacOS Snow Leopard version 10.6.8 Snow to a MacBook Pro running El Capitan. Possibly there was a problem with that?

Also, the 1Password version 6.8.8 on El Capitan version 10.11.6 has begun staying open so that when I close out of it, it reopens in an opened state with all passwords showing. It also doesn't close in 5 minutes on my desktop which is what I have it set for. Should I reinstall?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@NoGo - So, it sounds as if you've already got your copy of 1Password for Mac syncing with a keychain in your Library folder. All you need to do is turn that off first. Just switch the drop-down menu to "None." Wait a second or two, then switch it back to "Folder," and proceed with my instructions above, plus the rest of the instructions at the page you were originally on.

• NoGo
    NoGo
    Community Member
    Options
    • Thanks Lars. That did the trick. 1Password is now installed and running on my new computer.
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@NoGo - great! I'm glad to hear it. :) Let us know if you need anything else, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

This discussion has been closed.