1Password may experience a setup error during updates if you're using Malwarebytes 3 [Update MB3]

MikeT
edited July 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi guys,

[Update 2018-07-09]: Please check for Malwarebytes updates, you need the Malwarebytes 3.5.1.2522 update with the component package version: 1.0.391.

How to manually update:

1. Open Malwarebytes 3
  2. Go to Settings > Application
  3. From Application Updates, click Install Application Updates

Confirm the update:

1. Open Malwarebytes 3
  2. Go to Settings > About
  3. Malwarebytes version: 3.5.1.2522 (or higher)
  4. Component package update: 1.0.391 (or higher)

Before 2018-07-09

You may see this during an update if you have Malwarebytes 3 installed:

An error occurred while trying to rename a file in the destination directory: 
MoveFile failed; code 183.

Huge thanks to the folks at Malwarebytes for quickly investigating this for us and they plan to have this fixed in their Malwarebytes 3 product very soon. They'll update us here as soon as they're done.

As 1Password use encryption libraries, it can sometime trip the ransomware protection in anti-malware solutions as it did in Malwarebytes 3. The Malwarebytes team have identified where 1Password (and other related installers) is doing this and they will fix this.

For now, here's how to work around this issue; do not abort or cancel the install:

1. After seeing the 1Password installer error, do not do anything, leave it as is.
  2. Open Malwarebytes and from the Dashboard, turn Ransomware protection to Off
  3. The User Account Control (UAC) message will appear, click Yes
  4. Malwarebytes Real-Time Protection turned off message will appear, ignore this for now
  5. Go back to the 1Password installer error and click Retry (or in some cases, OK then Retry)
  6. After 1Password successfully installs, go back to the Malwarebytes Dashboard and turn Ransomware protection to On

(Thanks to v2qrY7y2JZWy7Zup for helping us with this)

Comments

• Mirtma
    Mirtma
    Community Member

Great. So my ticket at MWB did help a bit for solving that problem.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Mirtma,

Thank you for the assist! :+1: Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with, we are always here for you.

++
    Greg

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

I left Malwarebytes a while ago and switched. It is garbage now.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ttim03,

Opinions differ. There is a lot of Malwarebytes users out there and if they have any issues with 1Password, we are here to help.

We will post updates here, once we have them. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Homer
    Homer
    Community Member

I was just about to post on exactly this issue, came up during an update of V7 to latest version. You folks, and the Malwarebytes folks really are on top of things, thank you!

Even better, I have seen the very same window a few times now during auto (as in behind the scenes, downloaded updates work just fine) updates. Same exact window, just insert name (*.exe) of app being updated. I think whatever the Malwarebytes folks come up with for a fix will take care of these issues as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for chiming in! Indeed, hopefully there will be a fix soon, and I hope that it will help with the other issues you've been experiencing as well. Cheers! :)

• RSG
    RSG
    Community Member

I did abort the install. If I try to launch 1Password its no longer found. Do I need to re-download software?

• Hi @RSG,

Yes, you'll need to reinstall 1Password. You can find the download from here: https://1Password.com/downloads/

• Hey guys,

Malwarebytes just released an update to fix this issue for us. I've updated the original first post here with the update version you need and how to install/verify the update you have.

• MortSkil
    MortSkil
    Community Member

Hi MikeT,

I just got the same problem on one of my Win10 PCs running Windows Defender. Do you have a suggested solution for this case?
    (DeleteFile failed; code 32)
    Maybe stop/kill 1Password, then reinstall?

Happens both with auto-update and when trying to run update from the 1Password app.

Thanks.
    Morten

• Hi @MortSkil,

Close all web browsers and then install the update. The installer already terminates 1Password for you.

However, if you've aborted the setup, you'll have to uninstall 1Password and download the new version from here: https://1Password.com/downloads/

It's odd, we rarely see any issues from Windows defender, it may not be the cause here. Let me know if closing the web browser helps.

• MortSkil
    MortSkil
    Community Member

I did not close the web browser, but I stopped/killed 1Password, uninstalled, then installed the downloaded version and it works again. I doubt this is a Windows Defender related problem, partly because there is nothing in the error message indicating which file is locked. Also, on my other PC running the same Win10 version and tanked with the same windows defender version from our IT dept did not report any problem at all.
    Anyway, until next update I am perfectly satisfied with the product and status.

• Hi @MortSkil,

Unfortunately, that's the battle we've been fighting for a while, there's no indication of why it was locked on certain setups where other identical setups don't show the same problem. In our research, it didn't seem like 1Password was the only one seeing this issue with its installer.

The good news is that we're not sitting around doing nothing about this problem, we're working on our own custom installer to try to address this specific issue. We hope to have more news soon.

This discussion has been closed.