How much would need to be done?

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited August 2018 in Lounge

Evernote has Skitch which is now only available in iiOS Could AgileBits buy Skitch from Evernote. Skitch does Markdown as does Evernote. Maybe AgileBits should create another App for Markdown and annotation?

Let 1Password be the best Password manager it can be, that is all I’m asking. There is enough feature creep or bloat as it is.

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Why do you want Agilebits the be the company to give Skitch another live?

I'm not saying that their not capable, but they have stated multiple times that they only want to work on 1Password.

(I like that focus and you also mention that you don't want feature creep)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

@XIII

Markdown in Secure Notes, a.new feature from 1Password 7.1 for iOS doesn’t appear to fit in?

There have been suggestions for the Markdown feature to be toggled on/off

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

There are plenty of Markdown editors available on iOS:

https://thesweetsetup.com/apps/our-favorite-markdown-writing-app-for-the-iphone/

I'm not sure I understand what you want Agilebits to do: maintain yet another editor, or integrate the Skitch MD engine in 1Password?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I am unfamiliar with Markdown but seeing that 1Password now has Markdown, I thought it might be best left to an external app, but part of the 1Password family.. Skitch was an example I am familiar with, being on Evernote.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

We’re not looking to maintain another app at this point. Our focus is on 1Password. :)

Thanks.

Ben

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem, I think you may have misunderstood the intent of our markdown support in Secure Notes. In no way does that make 1Password any kind of substitute for a markdown editor. If you want a markdown editor, 1Password is not the right tool for that. There are several reasons for this:

Not full Markdown

For security reasons, we are only rendering a very limited subset of Markdown. No links (even to images), and no general HTML processing. If we'd found usable text/enriched (not to be confused with rich text) libraries, we probably would have used that instead of Markdown.

Improving the readability of notes

Our goal here is just to make the notes that people write in 1Password a bit more useful and easier on the eye when it is more than just one or two sentences.

Markdown is easy to write and it can do a number of things regarding formatting

• It can make it easy to just create lists.
    • It can make it easy to emphasize text
    • It makes it easy to create things that should be bold

Structure

Markdown also makes it easy to specify header levels.

The best thing

The best thing about markdown is that the text is perfectly legible even if it is just viewed as plain text. Here is how I wrote the above.

Our goal here is just to make the notes that people write in 1Password a bit more useful and easier on the eye when it is more than just one or two sentences.

Markdown is easy to write and it can do a number of things regarding formatting

- It can make it easy to just create lists.
    - It can make it easy to _emphasize_ text
    - It makes it easy to create things that should be **bold**

### Structure

Markdown also makes it easy to specify header levels.

### The best thing

The best thing about markdown is that the text is perfectly legible even if it is just viewed as plain text. Here is how I wrote the above.

The point here is that we are aiming to make the Secure Notes (and other notes within items) more useful. Markdown is the tool we are using for that, but it is a tool for a goal within the aims of 1Password. You can do lightweight formatting without having to attach some word-processer document to an item.

This discussion has been closed.