Interface almost completely nonresponsive upon startup [Will be optimized in 7.3]

southernforge
southernforge
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi guys,
I launched 1P - and got the bottom banner about the client having been updated to v7.2.574 - and then attempted to scroll through the logins list. I was able to select an item from the list, but the item details on the right were from the topmost login list item. So that no matter what list item I selected details remained those of the first item, and i could not force a change in any manner. I forcibly closed the application, and after restarting it, behavior seemed normal. Thanks.

1Password Version: v7.2.574
Extension Version: v4.7.1.4
OS Version: 7 pro
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• Hi @southernforge,

Thanks for reporting this, I've moved your thread to our Windows Beta forum since you're using a beta version of 1Password 7.2.

That's due to the background sync that starts every time you unlock or start 1Password; right now, the sync causes the app's interface to be blocked until the sync is done. It is not supposed to do this but we're working on it. We believe this is the same reason 1Password mini can lag at filling and/or not show up for a few minutes.

Next time you start the 1Password app for the first time, don't terminate the app but wait about up to 2-3 minutes for the background sync to finish, 1Password should be responsive after that. This is definitely not what it should be but we just need a bit of time to fix it.

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member

Hi there @MikeT

Sure do appreciate the prompt reply, and the explanation. There can be issues with beta versions, and am glad to hear this is something known and being looked into.

I did follow your suggestions, and found no issues - but was happy to find that the sync process took very little time to complete - and being conscious of the timing, and the 'behind the scenes' activity worked. Thank you!

• You're welcome! Hopefully, not too long before our next beta update is out with the improvements toward this.

• Swivel_Eyes
    Swivel_Eyes
    Community Member

Mike,

Can you include an indicator on the windows interface to show that the vault is syncing ?

• Hi @Swivel_Eyes,

We have no plans to do that. I have bought it up in the past several times but the team do not wish to have that in the design anywhere, it goes against this ideal of "it just works" and you shouldn't need any indicators.

I know, it doesn't just works but a lot of the current "oddities" are due to the threading and we believe that once we fully address this, it'll make everything snappy as heck. This is the only focus we're on right now.

At this moment, it looks like we may have to push the threading improvements to 7.3 as there are too much changes happening to be added in 7.2 update.

• Swivel_Eyes
    Swivel_Eyes
    Community Member

OK Mike, thanks for the response,

It was just a thought that if something could be done along similar lines to when iOS syncs ….

• Yep, thanks for the suggestion though. I'll keep nagging at them. I think it is nice to have a bit more feedback.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

@MikeT , I'll tell you right now the product is virtually useless to me with whatever changed to make this syncing all the time issue appear. I sit for over a minute for at least 15-20 times a day and literally can't work as I'm waiting for the app to be done so I can get a password out of it. I still don't know what changed from a few betas ago when it was ten seconds once or twice a day, and I don't recall getting an exact explanation. This needs to be Job #1 as it seriously makes the app a hindrance to getting anything productive done.

I know you don't like to give ETAs but we need some sort of ballpark here! Right now, we are clicking, waiting what we think is a minute, clicking again, waiting some more.... with no indicator that things are done except maybe the Mini pops up in the middle of the wrong page since we've moved on to doing something else while we're twiddling our thumbs, it's really bad. I thought it was going to be a week or so. Doesn't look like it! Can you throw us a bone?

• Hi @leesweet,

We did explain it in the other thread you posted: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/451769/#Comment_451769

I would recommend you uninstall 1Password 7.2 betas and switch back to 1Password 7.1 stable if you haven't yet. Skip 7.2 until we get 7.3 beta 1 out.

It's not a sync issue (there was zero code change for the local vault sync), it's a threading issue and it is also affected by the hardware/OS. It doesn't affect everyone but a few % of our install base. For our team, we can't reproduce it on any of our actual machines, which also made debugging this very difficult. However, we made some adjustments to specific virtual machines and we found out what happened, we saw the issue and it feels horrible to use.

As mentioned in a few of my posts back:

This is the only focus we're on right now.

We've been working mostly exclusively on this very specific issue for the past few weeks, undo'ing what we did in the past few months was not an option. We've tried for a week to find a quick fix but whatever we did find was not good enough, so we've decided to work on a new approach to fix this problem and in very limited internal testing, it did work. However, in order for the fix to be effective, all of our calls have to be re-adjusted; meaning we can't simply apply it to the sync only, it'd just move the issue elsewhere.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

Thanks, I'd forgotten it wasn't a universal issue, sigh.... It may be a higher impact since I have tons of stuff running on this laptop (always over 30% CPU).

Recommendations on best method to downgrade? Any impact from so doing?

• MikeT
    edited August 2018

Hi @leesweet,

Yes, the busier your CPU workload, the quicker 1Password degrades with too much work at the same time and taking longer to finish.

We've changed one of our VMs from two to one core, the performance degraded by a factor of eight (why your local sync took 6 times longer to finish) instead of twice or so. Instead of working through one thread at a time properly, it just basically implodes and try to catch up.

You shouldn't notice any impact by simply uninstalling 1Password 7 with Control Panel and reinstalling 1Password 7.1.

If you want, you can do a clean install by renaming the data folder in %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\ directory and open the same vaults you had before.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

@MikeT, thanks much, looks like current 'public' software is 7.1.567, let me give that a shot.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

Well, that's quite a difference. Was so used to the slow version. :chuffed: And I did turn off beta updates, lol.

Now, to watch out for 7.3.x....

• MikeT
    edited August 2018

@leesweet I’ll ping you here as soon as we have it ready. You’ll want to turn off the automatic update as well.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

Yeah, just noted it wanted to update. Killed that... :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• trailmax
    trailmax
    Community Member

@MikeT Can this be related to a delay (10-15 seconds) I see after unlocking 1PW in browser before it fills in the first password? Once the initial delay is passed, second time I ask to fill in username/password form it happens instantly. (PW 7.2.567 with Dropbox sync)

Also I see similar delay when I save an item after editing - 10-15seconds, then it is responsive again. Related?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@trailmax: Yes. If it's 10-15 seconds for you, that's at the lower end of the spectrum unfortunately. We're working on a lot of changes under the hood to make sure 1Password has more breathing room when it's trying to do a lot at once (syncing, decrypting, UI, etc.) to make it more responsive. I'm sorry for the trouble in the mean time, but hang in there. We're holding off on other features until we're sure that we've got a clear runway on performance.

• trailmax
    trailmax
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for confirmation. First versions of v7 were really fast, it would be a shame to loose that snapiness now. I'll wait for your updates.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah sorry about that, but when we added all that cool stuff — local vaults, sync Watchtower, and a bunch more I'm forgetting — it all comes with a cost, so we're rearchitecting some things so that 1Password handles it all more gracefully. :)

• sonenthal
    sonenthal
    Community Member

I just wanted to mention that I too experience this issue, I am running 7.2.576 on a win 7 laptop, but happy to wait for the next 7.3.x release. Also noticed that when saving a new or edited item/entry, it takes around 45 to 60 seconds for the save function to complete.

Thanks,
    Seth

• Hi @sonenthal,

Thanks for letting us know. You can downgrade to 1Password 7.1 in case it helps and temporarily disable the automatic update to 7.2 until we release the first beta update of 1Password 7.3.

Saving is the same issue, when you save, it updates the local vault, which triggers a sync as well but the main interface struggles to catch up until the sync is done. This is being worked on right now, we're rebuilding a huge part of our codebase right now to improve and optimize this process.

• Hi guys,

Please give 1Password 7.2.580 beta 1 a try and let us know if it is working better for you. It is not the 1Password 7.3 update that includes a much larger change but we wanted to get this update out sooner.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT!

Looks like the unlocking and filling in is incredibly fast now :chuffed:
    (Only the removing or saving of items is a little bit slow)

Thank you very much for your hard work to improve the performance :+1:

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

@MikeT, so far, so good. Immediately after loading, I could access data even more quickly than with 7.1 which was usable but not as good as 580. So, excellent progress!

I'll let you know when it's a completely fresh start on a new day, etc.

• Awesome, thanks for the feedback!

On behalf of our team, you're welcome and thank you for your reports and patience.

We're on the right track and there is a lot of more optimizations coming later this year to improve various areas of 1Password.

• sonenthal
    sonenthal
    Community Member

Much better, thanks!!

• From our team, you're welcome. We can't wait to ship this to everyone soon and continue on more optimizations.

• Hi guys,

We've shipped 1Password 7.3 beta 1 with more performance improvements for standalone vaults, please give a try and let us know how it works out.

That isn't the last of the improvements, we still more planned changes coming, including for 1Password accounts.

This discussion has been closed.