To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

"Wrong Master Password" errors out.

abbiehodges
abbiehodges
Community Member

I recently signed up tonight, for my first 1Password account. Created the account on Chrome browser and everything worked and even received my PDF emergency kit file. After everything had worked, I navigated around on the Chrome browser of my 1Password account. Then I went to download the 1Password app for my Macbook Air and on my iPhone and the downloads worked great, except for one problem, that when I went to enter all the levels of information, it states that I do not have 1 of 4 parts correct. I presume it could be the Master Password.

So I struggled with this for 4 or 5 times, with both the Air and iPhone. Then I went back to my Chrome browser and it stated I had logged out because of 10 minutes of activity and now on my Chrome browser the Master Password does not work.

Yes I do direct copy and paste on the Secret Key.

I have read all of the instructions on how to recover your Master Password, but my issue, is that I cannot log into any device or browser to initiate this process. So i have nothing to test against, because I cannot get in through Chrome, Air or iPhone.

So since I have no real data in 1Password yet, because I just created it I then moved to on Air of Reset all 1Password Data, https://support.1password.com/starting-over/

I have now tried that step twice and it claims I have reset everything, and I have restarted the 1Password software on my Air and nothing, same problem. So it is like that the Reset is not working either.

Any suggestions, please help?

2017 Macbook Air - High Sierra 10.13.3
Google Chrome - Version 68.0.3440.106
iPhone 8 - iOS 11.4.1

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: don't know
OS Version: high sierra 10.13.3
Sync Type: not established yet

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@abbiehodges: Hmm. Are you able to sign into your account in Chrome still? It sounds like that may be the case. If so, that suggests that your Master Password isn't the problem at all, but something else. And either way, we do see some confusion around this since folks change their account types over time and that means using a different sign in URL. Starting over in the app will not affect your account or the credentials used to sign in to it. But if you were using a local (Primary) vault in the app with a different Master Password, that can cause some confusion with the account too, as that would be completely separate. Can you tell me where you can access your 1Password data now — OS, 1Password, browser versions, etc. — and the name of the vault it's in?

• abbiehodges
    abbiehodges
    Community Member

brenty - i talked about in the original post, that I am not able to login anywhere now, neither Chrome Browser on the Air, or the software app on the Air, or Safari on the Air, or the app on the iPhone.

the item, is that I cannot login anywhere. I also have not really created any data or any vault yet, because I just downloaded the software tool and just created the account. So I don't have much data and I don't the name of the vault, because I was just barely 1 (once) logged into the tool through Chrome.

==============================================================

Why is this step of Reset All Data, not working for me either? I should be able to do this. It makes me enter another code, acting like there a reset, but it never takes me to the step of creating a "new vault".

Open 1Password.

Choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data and follow the onscreen instructions.

The next time you open 1Password, you’ll be asked to create a new vault or sign in to your account. You can also use existing 1Password data that you might have on another computer or device.

Any help would be appreciated?

• Why is this step of Reset All Data, not working for me either? I should be able to do this. It makes me enter another code, acting like there a reset, but it never takes me to the step of creating a "new vault".

Could you please post a screenshot of what you’re describing?

▷ How to take a screenshot

Ben

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member

I following this forum since a long time and it’s very interesting that from time to time users are facing problems with the login to their accounts.
    Currently I’m using 1PW 4 for Windows and fighting with my self to upload my data to the cloud ( I know it’s end to end encrypted). Due of that, all my hopes were that you will implement wlan sync or another functionality to sync the vault between windows and iOS locally.
    In all threats about wlan sync you mentioned that you cannot support wlan sync, because the network of the customer is not under your control and customer were facing a lot of issues with wlan sync. So I ask my self: What are the differences between facing wlan sync issues and login issues. In 1PW4 I have some backup functionality, so that I’m able to recover a corrupted vault. But what can I do if I have no access to my 1PW Account like the customer above? Will my data be lost forever?

Regards
    Finke

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Finke03: Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Indeed, there's a pretty big difference between local sync and account login: the former depends on a lot of moving parts in a specific user's network environment, and the latter depends entirely on the user having and using the correct login credentials. A similarity though is that data is available locally. But with WLAN it's only available on the devices you sync it to, whereas with 1Password.com the server has it (and redundant, versioned backups) so that even if all of your devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed, you can sign in using your account credentials to get your data back. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,
    in general I fully agree, but my impression is that several users will be locked out of their account although they are using correct login credentials and their emergency kit. Or how can you explain the post from the above user? Which sense does it make to have redundant and versioned backups on server side if I cannot login to my account? An export/import functionality would make sense, so that the customer can reset/delete the complete account and upload a backup file from their local machine in case of account lockout.

• I can’t discuss the specifics of anyone else’s account situation but what I can say is that typical causes of problems like this are:

1. Having multiple accounts, perhaps even under the same email address
    2. Having changed the Master Password / Secret Key since the Emergency Kit was stored
    3. Having a Primary vault, which has a different Master Password from the 1Password membership account, and that is the password that is known because it is the one that unlocks 1Password. The membership password has been forgotten.

I can’t say I’ve ever seen a case where I had reason to believe that all of the correct credentials had been entered but 1Password wouldn’t unlock.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Finke03: Well, as an addendum to Ben's comments, I'll add that technical issues can prevent someone from logging in too: unable to establish a secure connection to the server due to device settings (often time), malware, "security" software behaving like malware and interfering with communications, etc. But these aren't 1Password problems; they can happen to people when trying to login to anything, even if they've never even heard of 1Password.

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

I can’t say I’ve ever seen a case where I had reason to believe that all of the correct credentials had been entered but 1Password wouldn’t unlock

@Ben : Thanks a lot for your explanation. Hopefully this is really the case, because according to this forum it gives another impression.

I'll add that technical issues can prevent someone from logging in too: unable to establish a secure connection to the server due to device settings (often time), malware, "security" software behaving like malware and interfering with communications, etc. But these aren't 1Password problems;

@brenty
    Exactly! But the same is valid for WiFi sync! In this case the arguments not to implement WiFi sync, because the WiFi of the customer is not under your controls makes no sense. As you already mentioned the same can be happen during accessing the 1PW Account.

But anyway I don’t want to discuss the WiFi topic here. Important for me was to get some informations why there are so many post from people who are locked out. Now it’s a little bit clearer to me.

In addition I want to mention: I would pay for a subscription, but I don’t want all my data in the cloud (maybe some of my data, which I will share with my wife). If 1PW supports offline sync between iOS and Windows and functionality to local backup/export the vault, I will switch immediately. 😀

Cheers
    Finke

• abbiehodges
    abbiehodges
    Community Member
  • @abbiehodges

Could you please post a screenshot of what happens after 2.2.3, when you relaunch the app?

Ben

• abbiehodges
    abbiehodges
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

@Ben:
    I am going to school and need to keep moving and going on. Thanks for your help. I deleted the app on my Air and have moved to the next item, so I cannot get a snap. But what would happen when you closed and then re-opened the software app on my Air, then the normal screen would pop up and then you have to enter all 4 fields of entry login and then I would enter the "what I believed the password was" and so then of course that was not valid. (it could be I have to enter a different master password, but the app does not prompt that).

But thanks for your help and again you can close this ticket on the forum.

ref: YJZ-12171-242

• Thanks for the update Abbie. If you change your mind and would like to troubleshoot further we’ll be here to help.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.