Feature Request: Easier way to use op to get a username and/or password into a command

PBAdams
PBAdams
Community Member

I'd like to request a drastically easier use case for getting a username and/or password from a login item.

I'm not a bash guru, so forgive me if there is a trivial way to solve this, but I'm looking for a very simple way to use op to input my password in an ssh command.

By "very simple" I mean not having to do a long pipe into a set variable, use the variable in the ssh command, then clear the variable afterwards. Nor do I want to write a super long op | jq pipe just to get my password into an ssh command.

As this is my primary use case for op CLI, I'd like a syntax like "op get-password ITEM-NAME" and "op get-username ITEM-NAME". I love the flexibility of the JSON output, and do use it occasionally, but a simpler syntax would make life easier 99% of the time.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

@PBAdams we do have some plans around this, I've personally been looking into it. Keep an eye out for future releases :)

• PBAdams
    PBAdams
    Community Member

Hi @cohix, that sounds great — looking forward to getting my hands on it!

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Me too :)

• kv3
    kv3
    Community Member

oh yeah, +1. Those jq pipes are a pain and depends on deep patterns in the 1P schema, which worries me.

Oh joy: You have posted 2 times within 60 seconds. A spam block is now in effect on your account. You must wait at least 300 seconds before attempting to post again.

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

@kv3 fetching data more easily is also something that we're working on, you might notice from the CLI release notes that work has ramped up significantly in the past few months, we've been able to grow the development team and we're actively working on new functionality.

This discussion has been closed.