I don't have a sync option with dropbox

Options
marinoel
marinoel
Community Member

I need to sync with someone else's vault which they saved in a dropbox for me. However, I am not able to see the sync option in preferences. This is what i've done so far:
1. Downloaded 1Password app
2. Created a free 30 day trial account
3. Opened 1Password app on my computer, and signed into my account (scanned my code etc)
4. Then I attempted to follow the steps in this link: https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/
5. However, after I click the 1Password menu, and preferences I do not have the yellow sync icon.
Please help me out ASAP! Thank you!
Mari

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.7 (70007000) AgileBits Sto
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:preferences sync

Comments

• marinoel
    marinoel
    Community Member
    Options

I sent the diagnostic report:
    Here's my ID [#TFS-48692-686]
    Thank you!

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @marinoel

The reason for that is because you currently have 1Password set up to use a membership. When using a membership, the standalone syncing options (such as Dropbox and iCloud) are hidden because they are unnecessary. Your membership handles all of your syncing for you.

If you have a family account, you should be able to share your data as well without the need of services such as Dropbox.

• marinoel
    marinoel
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response. So my original problem is that I need to sync with someone else's vault which they saved in a dropbox for me. Can you tell me how I could do that? Perhaps send me the link to where I can download a standalone account?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marinoel: Sorry for the confusion. There is no such thing as a "standalone account". If you purchase the standalone 1Password app, you'd be using 1Password without an account, and syncing your own data (using Dropbox, for example). Sharing stuff using Dropbox is done outside of 1Password, and using the Dropbox service in general is outside the scope of 1Password support. But Dropbox naturally does have information on how to do this on their own website:

How do I share files or folders in Dropbox?

If you have a 1Password vault in your Dropbox folder that you want to open in the 1Password app, you'll need to have local vaults enabled in 1Password Preferences > Advanced. Then you can simply double-click the vault to open it in 1Password. Just keep in mind that doing so will change the Master Password used to unlock the 1Password app on that device: it will use the Master Password of the Primary vault you setup there — in this case, that may end up being the shared vault from Dropbox.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.