Upgrade from 1Password for Windows 4 to 1Password 7

I have a standalone license for 1Password for Windows v4.6.2.

How do I upgrade to 1Password for Windows v7.

The upgrade prompts for a license file to activate the new version. Where do I get this license file?
I understand the difference between standalone license and an account. I do not wish to subscribe to an account.

Thanks

1Password Version: 4.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @paulc1986,

Thank you for getting in touch and using 1Password! :+1:

1Password 7 for Windows is a new purchase, so if you want to use it, you can download 1Password 7 from our website and then purchase the new license from within the app, please see this reply from Mike here.

Let me know if it helps and answers your question. If you have any others, I will be happy to address them as well. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• paulc1986
    paulc1986
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply.

Can you outline AgileBits policy on licenses and upgrades?
    Does a license purchase grant/include future upgrades (either free or discounted)?

In was under the impression that in the past new versions were free to license holders. I've been using 1Password for over 5 years and had a number of upgrades. Now I'm being asked to pay again.

Regards,

Paul

• @paulc1986: Our policy has always been that your license is good for the version you purchased only, but that said, we have offered quite a few free upgrades over the years. Indeed, I'd say we've done ourselves a bit of a disservice in that regard. Paid upgrades stink. Y'all (understandably) hate them and they're a lot of work for us too. Not only do we have to make sure we're adding value and not just fluff with a new version, we also tend to have a surge in support requests following a paid upgrade helping folks purchase and apply licenses in addition to actually upgrading their app. The logistics of asking for a paid upgrade are pretty awful too. In short, we just hated having them so we often didn't and that definitely did lead many folks to believe upgrades were free forever.

1Password 7 is the first paid upgrade we've had in years and the general consensus is that we should be asking for paid upgrades more often than every five years. I can't say for certain whether or not 1Password 8 will be a paid upgrade as we don't have the faintest idea of what 1Password 8 will even look like at this point, but I can say expecting a paid upgrade more often is safe. Five years without a paid upgrade is not sustainable. We should have done a better job of setting the expectation that upgrades would be paid years ago, and I do apologize for that. It was never our intent that 1Password would be free forever, but we do endeavor to ensure we ask for paid upgrades when a new version provides real value to our customers in the form of useful new features and significant usability improvements. We won't be charging just for a new coat of paint, but we do need to charge for the hard work we do to keep 1Password moving forward and ensure it remains a premium option for our customers. I feel you – paid upgrades hurt – but I hope you understand our reasoning and that 1Password 7 proves well worth the cost. 🙂

• kiyoto
    kiyoto
    Community Member

This is your fraud. The new license with the upgrade license cannot be the same price! you need to fix this!

• While it's certainly common to offer upgrade pricing, @kiyoto, there isn't anything that requires it. 1Password 7 is also totally new – it was built from the ground up with every feature developed from scratch. Regardless, we do appreciate the opportunity to show some appreciation for our existing customers by offering a small discount on new versions, but we've found in the past that offering that discount often resulted in more work for y'all. Heck, depending on how you value your time, just a few e-mails back and forth might wipe out that discount and it has taken more than that to sort out upgrade pricing problems in the past. We decided to try out a compromise and keep pricing lower overall early on. After all, most of the folks who grab a new version early are going to be the folks who have been with us a while. Does this mean a few new customers likely get a lower price? Probably. Most of our new customers choose a 1Password membership, but I'm sure there are some that buy a license instead.

I suppose this may make the discounted price seem a bit less special and I apologize for that. It sounds a bit contrived, but y'all really are special to us. Those of you who purchased 1Password 4 were part of our family when it was much smaller and even if we don't know all of you personally, we do consider you like old friends. You were there for us before we were a big deal and supported our mission as we grew. We really are grateful for that. Our goal with pricing decisions this time around wasn't at all to minimize that contribution, but instead to make it easier for y'all to grab your upgrade and get back to the important things in your lives. Asking you to dig up old license and purchase info has never struck me as a good way to show that appreciation. It is a different way to tackle this, though, and I understand it may not feel right at a glance. I hope this explanation of why we made this decision makes sense and helps you understand what lead us here. And, regardless, we do appreciate your support. Without you and our other early adopters, 1Password 7 wouldn't have been possible and that's not something we'll forget. :chuffed:

• pgdleo
    pgdleo
    Community Member

I have a standalone license for 1Password4 as well, and would like to upgrade to 1Password 7, just because new version of google is not working and agilebits won't fix it :(
    Buuuut pay the full price again? It is not fair..

I convinced more than 10 people to use 1password when nobody knew what was 1password...
    Please the price of upgrade standalone from 4 > 7 should be reviewd

I'm from Brazil and pay $49,90 is not easy for us!!!
    :(

• baker
    baker
    Community Member

I've got 1Password 4 and have this Chrome problem. I'm going to upgrade to 1Password7. I don't mind paying for an upgrade every once in a while.

One thing I'd recommend, is 1Password needs to advertise that they have a stand alone version of 7. I never knew this until recently. I probably would have upgraded earlier if I had known of the stand alone version as I'm not interested in the subscription service at this time. Also I need to do more research into the safety of having your vault on the internet. But I do like the idea of automatic backups.

I may buy the stand alone version now, and maybe later upgrade to the online service.

Thanks

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pgdleo,

A standalone license for 1Password 7 is sold with a discount now. Please send us a message to support+windows@agilebits.com and we will see what we can do for you. Thank you! :+1:

@baker: If you sign up for 1Password account, you will get a 30 days free trial. This way you will be able to test it properly and decide if it suits your needs. By the way, you can learn more about the benefits of 1Password accounts here.

If you have any questions or security concerns about 1Password accounts, please let us know. We will be happy to answer and address all of them.

Cheers,
    Greg

• baker
    baker
    Community Member

@Greg: I wish there was a "quote" function like other message boards.

I'll do some research on the "subscription" version of 7. My main concern is your vault being uploaded to the internet. One of the main reasons why I originally got 1Password4 was because it was offline. Also I got it because I felt a paid version would probably be more secure than the free password managers. I also do think your yearly subscription cost is very reasonable.

• There actually is a quote function, @baker. Our forum supports markdown so tack a > in front of the text you want to quote and it'll show up

like so.

As for information in the cloud, this is something we're very conscious of. We designed our hosted service in such a manner that we never hold any useful information at all. Your data is encrypted with both your Master Password (which only you know and never leaves your local device) and your Secret Key (which is generated locally on your computer during sign-up and is never sent to us). This encrypted blob of nonsense is the only thing we ever have. Although we certainly have a strong focus on ensuring even that blob is protected, should someone steal it, they still wouldn't have your passwords unless they first obtained your Master Password and Secret Key from the only person who has them – you. The Secret Key was actually implemented precisely because we know password managers will be a tempting target. Your Secret Key ensures that the encryption protecting your important data on our servers remains strong even if your Master Password isn't the best.

We've published quite a few articles about the security of our hosted service. You can get an overview of our security design here and, if you're interested, dig deep into the technical details in our Security Design Whitepaper (PDF). We understand the trust you must put in your password manager and don't want that trust to be blind. We strongly value transparency and want you to have all of the information you need to feel comfortable your data is private, secure, and well-protected.

• baker
    baker
    Community Member

@bundtkate: Thanks I'll check it out.

Also, I do think you should advertise your standalone version. I would have upgraded to 7 when it was released, but at the time I didn't want to do the online thing. And I thought 7 was just a subscription/online service thing.

• There are arguments to be made both ways, @baker, but we ultimately decided a clear path was best. Standalone is a great option for some not fussed about managing sync themselves and with the technical know how to make it work, but the choice caused a lot of confusion when they were side-by-side in the past. Folks would sign up for a subscription and still think they had to buy the apps, start a free membership trial and try to purchase a license after it expired ... it was in all honesty a mess. We tried various ways of presenting both options together, but ultimately what worked best was to focus on memberships, which we genuinely believe provide the best experience anyway. We may end up losing out on some upgrades that way, but what we want is to make using 1Password as simple as possible for as many of our customers as possible. 1Password memberships do that for the folks most prone to that confusion – new ones. And I sincerely hope we've shown we're always more than willing to help those of y'all who prefer another path. 🙂

• baker
    baker
    Community Member

bundtkate: Thanks. I think I'll go ahead and do the subscription. I'm assuming if you lose your Secret Key, that you could just set up a "new" online account since your vault is saved on your home device and could be re-synced to a new online account?

Also, if you have a subscription. and then later decide to go with the standalone version. Is your online vault backup still saved on 1Password's Servers encase you later decide to do the subscription again? Or is your online vault DOD'd erased?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@baker: You could certainly create a new account, but I don't recommend it. Just save your Emergency Kit and you don't need to worry about it. ;)

The account will be frozen if you don't have an active subscription, which is read-only so you can still export your data. Inactive accounts are not meant as long-term storage.

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

I'm assuming if you lose your Secret Key, that you could just set up a "new" online account since your vault is saved on your home device and could be re-synced to a new online account?

Hi @baker, in a standard setup your secret be would also be saved on the "home device" so that could never happen in case you don't lose access to your "home device". If you safely store the key, your passwords are still accessible even if you ever lose access to all your devices at once (e.g. fire at home or another similar tragedy). That is why I store my Emergency Kit in a bank lock box where only I and my wife have access. This also is a solution for my wife to access all my data if something should ever happen to me (and vice versa, since she stores here Emergency Kit there as well).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Absolutely. Better safe than sorry. :) :+1:

• pgdleo
    pgdleo
    Community Member

Please the price of upgrade standalone from 4 > 7 should be reviewed..
    I dont wanna subscribe and pay the fullprice again it´s not fair.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You only have to pay full price for a license if you wait until it's no longer discounted to purchase. ;) But if you'd like help making the transition to a 1Password membership, shoot us an email at sales@1password.com with receipt(s) for previous purchases and we'll see what we can do to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.