How can I use 1password on a public computer?

So I am not at home and using a public computer and I need to access my Linkedin account.
My Linkedin password was generated by 1Password, and I will never memorize it of course.
Then I try getting to my 1Password account to get the Linkedin password. No luck. I need the secret key, impossible to memorize.
So... what would be my options in that case?
With Lastpass I had 2FA to login.
With 1Password, no such thing, what can I do - other that memorizing the freaking impossible key so I can access my account?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How can I use 1password on a public computer?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Because you need BOTH the secret key and the master password to log in to a device that is new to you, there is no harm in having the secret key written down somewhere and carried with you.

Of course that runs the risk of your needing the secret key when your wallet has been stolen. You could keep the key on something like One Drive, Google Drive, or the like and remember the password for that.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

You can access all that info (secret key) from a mobile device. That you have 1Password on

For this you need the 1Password membership also. If you have the stand alone license, you can’t do this.

Personally, I would never go on 1Password on a public computer or any computer I don’t have control over.

Of course that runs the risk of your needing the secret key when your wallet has been stolen. You could keep the key on something like One Drive, Google Drive, or the like and remember the password for that.

Storing this in plain text is also a horrible idea.

One idea is make the password you need easy to type (using the multiple word option) so you can look at your mobile device and read the password easier.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Certainly a mobile device is very much better than using any third-party computer.

But that does assume access to a mobile device. And that could well have been stolen/lost.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@amassis, as you mentioned 2FA it does seem like we can assume you have a mobile device, is this a good or bad assumption to have made? If you have access to 1Password on a mobile device but need to log into an account on a guest PC then prime's reply would be what I would have leaned towards, a strong words based password and then either reveal the password or use Large Type if it helps for typing. Like prime, I would also take steps simply not to use a machine that I couldn't place absolute trust in but I do acknowledge that it may not always be possible for a variety of reasons.

• amassis
    amassis
    Community Member

Thanks for the input everyone, very helpful tips!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.