PasswordX doesn't honor "never display in browser" setting

The latest PasswordX fails to honor the setting from 1Password login which is set to "never display in browser".

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: PasswordX 1.9.0
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Subscription

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Slobie Taboobie: It's a fair point, but I'm not sure it would be reasonable to do so. That would make items seem to disappear from 1Password completely for anyone not using a native 1Password app, which is the primary use case for 1Password X. What do you propose?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Slobie Taboobie: I get that. But if we make this consistent as you propose, we end up with the following scenario:

1. 1Password X user on Chrome OS gets tired of seeing login for a disused Gmail account
    2. User selects "Edit"
    3. User edits login to "Never display in browser"
    4. User is glad to not see it anymore...
    5. Until they need it again one day, and cannot find it at all because it would only be shown in a native app which they cannot use on Chrome OS

I don't think that would instill confidence, even if we could then claim consistency. What solution do you propose?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Well, that would depend on whether PasswordX would actually hide it in its web editing view. I always thought of that view as n equivalent to the native app's browser view but I see how I could be wrong there.

@Slobie Taboobie: You're not wrong. And that's a good point. I think a case can be made for it to not be hidden in the web interface...but then we're stuck with that inconsistency, with a "Never display in browser" setting being ignored in the browser. If nothing else, it could be confusing, and I'm not sure what the right answer is.

Maybe a shift in thinking what that view shows would be an answer (maybe a button that says: "open full list in browser" or something to that effect). Although I see how shifting a browsing function into PasswordX has created an unintended inconsistency. Thank you for opening a discussion here, I appreciate your effort greatly!

Likewise, thanks for bringing it up. I think we've got bigger fish to fry right now, but it's definitely something worth considering. If and when 1Password X gets inline editing (probably one a matter of when), it may become even more of a sticking point worth addressing, for the reasons outlined above. :)

• TJdohertyCvl
    TJdohertyCvl
    Community Member

I am completely with @Slobie Taboobie ! I need that "Never Display" to work, as well. I am SO tired of client logins showing up in my browser list when I have moved them to an archive vault and don't need them on a daily basis.

His suggestion has merit

Maybe a shift in thinking what that view shows would be an answer (maybe a button that says: "open full list in browser" or something to that effect).

The option to "opt in" to "open full list" for those times you need a password you thought you wouldn't use is an excellent reminder that it may still be in your vault and you just forgot about it.

While I appreciate there are bigger fish to fry, that unintended inconsistency is affecting user experience - and many of us who pay for that experience!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I need that "Never Display" to work, as well. I am SO tired of client logins showing up in my browser list when I have moved them to an archive vault and don't need them on a daily basis.

@TJdohertyCvl: Have you tried hiding the "archive" vault from All Vaults? It sounds like that would help in your case.

The option to "opt in" to "open full list" for those times you need a password you thought you wouldn't use is an excellent reminder that it may still be in your vault and you just forgot about it.

It's a reasonable suggestion, but additional options add complexity, for development, testing, and for users. It's an opportunity to introduce bugs and unexpected/unwanted side effects, and increase confusion and frustration for all 1Password users, so we do need to be careful to consider carefully doing anything like that. Sometimes it's necessary, but we need to be sensitive to all 1Password users, even if something like this would help you with your workflow.

While I appreciate there are bigger fish to fry, that unintended inconsistency is affecting user experience - and many of us who pay for that experience!

Thanks for the feedback. We'll take it into consideration along with everyone else's. :)

• TJdohertyCvl
    TJdohertyCvl
    Community Member

Thanks for taking time to reply, @brenty … will look at hiding archive. As soon as I can get my desktop version to actually allow me to scroll through different logins and edit when updated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TJdohertyCvl: Sure thing! That sounds odd though. What's the issue you're having on the desktop, and what OS and 1Password versions are involved?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

(split Windows-specific discussion into a separate thread)

• sthilaa
    sthilaa
    Community Member

I also find this to be an annoying shortfall of 1PX. I have roughly 20 Google logins between work, personal, and other projects. Some are more or less archived that I rarely need access to, but want to save them in case I ever do.

Taking into consideration the points raised by @brenty, I think a way to address this would be to have a section of logins that appear first -- these would be your "always display" logins. At the bottom of this list would be a "see more" type of option that would allow you to expand the list to see your lesser used / hidden logins. Something like this would really clean up certain logins and make this experience less annoying.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sthilaa: Any Logins you have marked as Favorite will be at the top. Does that help?

• sthilaa
    sthilaa
    Community Member

@brenty Not particularly. I use Favorites to highlight my top 5-10 logins across everything so on my phone I have quick/easy access to them. If I were to use the Favorites feature as a hack to get what I had from the "never display" feature, it would be ruin how I currently use Favorites. Not really a good trade-off.

IMO there needs to be some way of hiding unused logins so they do not clutter up the main 1P experience we use 99.9% of the time. It used to be that the browser on our computers was the main device, but now that we have mobile and other ways of using 1P, it sounds like there should be a better universal way to hide or archive certain logins that you only need to access once in a blue moon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's up to you if you want to use Favorites or not. Similarly, you could create an "unused logins" vault and hide that. Both are just suggestions. :)

• If the logins you want to hide are in different vaults, I think we could add a setting to only recommend logins from the currently selected vault (instead of All Vaults).

This discussion has been closed.