Some pretty serious UI issues in the latest versions

Options
Zander_venn
Zander_venn
Community Member

first up - 1password is great. Much better than Lastpass and any others I have tried....

BUT

The latest update's browser extension UI is a step backwards in many ways... most notably; as someone with many unique logins, the "open and fill" option is probably my most used. That's now been hidden behind an extra click, so I need to click into an entry to use open and fill. sounds like a small thing, but if you're using it 20-30 times per day it gets tedious.

It's compounded by the fact that the hover interaction (that reveals the fill > option) doesn't always work, so I'm having to waggle the mouse to even get it. Can we at least have the fill > button always displayed without needing to hover the cursor.

A bit of background - we have around 50-60 sites, each with hidden URLs to make accessing admin harder to hack. We also have staging, local and live environments with similar base URLs, so being on a site's homepage will still bring up multiple options when you first click on the browser extension.

1Password Version: 7.07
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Teams

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Zander_venn - thanks for the kind words about 1Password! We're glad you like it. In regard to the current extension's operational differences from the previous version, pressing your "return" key will actually perform the default action for the selected item -- which is Open & Fill. Hope that helps. :)

• Zander_venn
    Zander_venn
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Not for me - the default action is fill when I'm on the root domain.

My workflow:

• go the homepage of the site I'm working on
    • click the 1pass dialog
    • select the particular login I'm looking for
    • select open and fill.

If you follow these steps the default action is fill, not open and fill.

If I search for a domain then the above works, but if I do a search then:

• I get results in the list I don't really need We store vaious things against a particular client ID)
    • I'm then in the search dialog - which is kind of annoying because you then need to exit that mode before doing anything else

Again, these are a really minor things, I'm not fuming or anything... but over a week they really add up.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Zander_venn: Thanks for sharing the details.

My workflow:
    go the homepage of the site I'm working on
    click the 1pass dialog
    select the particular login I'm looking for
    select open and fill.

Right. You're already ad the website, so 1Password doesn't try to take you there again. Its understanding is that you want to fill the login in that case. :)

If I search for a domain then the above works, but if I do a search then:
    I get results in the list I don't really need We store vaious things against a particular client ID)
    I'm then in the search dialog - which is kind of annoying because you then need to exit that mode before doing anything else

If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like maybe you're expecting 1Password to search only within logins matching the current URL. That isn't how 1Password has ever worked (rather, it automatically displays all logins match the URL when opened, but if you type in the box that says "Search 1Password" it searches everything), but it's something we can consider for the future. I'm not sure it's something we'll do since we don't get much feedback like this, but you never know. Thank you for the feedback on this!

• Zander_venn
    Zander_venn
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

HI Brenty. Thanks for your reply. I'm directly comparing the previous version of 1 passwords with the current one. As in. It used to have open and fill in one click, now it doesn't.

I was talking about search because its only when you use the search feature that open and fill becomes the default action. In fact I rarely use search. Everything after the colon was a description of a different UI issue since the update, for the purposes of this discussion, let's just forget about that bit, its not really relevant and wasn't a feature request.

The main point I'm trying to make is that:

• open and fill is annoyingly hidden
    • The hover interaction (which you need to do to get to open and fill in the scenario above) doesn't work most of the time.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

HI Brenty. Thanks for your reply. I'm directly comparing the previous version of 1 passwords with the current one. As in. It used to have open and fill in one click, now it doesn't.

@Zander_venn: Indeed, I was confused by this, because that's exactly how it works for me: I literally just 1) opened 1Password mini, 2) typed "face" into the search field, 3) got my Facebook login in the search result, 4) clicked Open & Fill on the right, and 1Password took me right there and filled my account credentials. We haven't changed how that feature works...

I was talking about search because its only when you use the search feature that open and fill becomes the default action. In fact I rarely use search. Everything after the colon was a description of a different UI issue since the update, for the purposes of this discussion, let's just forget about that bit, its not really relevant and wasn't a feature request.

But I guess what you mean is literally that you're scrolling through all of your items and clicking. I can see how that might seem slower to you. But the fastest scrolling/clicking is always going to be slower than search and navigating with the keyboard. Mouse navigation is limiting in a lot of ways, especially with an app like 1Password where many people have hundreds or thousands of items. So we have sacrificed some click convenience to get more functionality in 1Password mini since that's how most people use 1Password and most often people are filling on the current webpage and don't need to navigate through all of their items to find what they need. I'm sorry that this is had the most impact on your specific workflow, but I don't expect it's something we're going to change. :blush:

• Zander_venn
    Zander_venn
    Community Member
    Options

HI

It seems you're getting further from understanding me! I don't use search. Of course I don't scroll through thousands of entries to find a password. I hardly ever use search, unless I'm using it for something where the login is not for a website, in which instance open and fill is irrelevant. I've only mentioned search because you mentioned it.

This is my worfklow from my earlier comment.

My workflow:
    go the homepage of the site I'm working on
    click the 1pass dialog
    select the particular login I'm looking for
    select open and fill.

So I have a site...it's called mysite.com. Because of that, I also have passwords for a master user, a lower level user, a team user (as I am the password admin) the local site, the dev site, sometimes more.

• I open my browser
    • I type in mysite.com to get the front end
    • I open 1pass browser extension.
    • Type in my password
    • It lists all the above logins, each of which have a shared root domain but different, randomised login urls.
    • I would like to just click open and fill. Instead I have to hover over the right one to get the little > icon to appear. The hovering is really unreliable, and doesn't work half the time, so I need to leave the chrome extension and open it again, until the hover interaction works.
    • Then I can click the arrow, then I can click open and fill.

Now I know you're going to tell me to change my workflow or whatever, but I'm telling you that:

• it used to be better in the old version.
    • why have the hover interaction in the browser extension at all?

It seems actually a bit crazy that this thread is going on so long!

• Zander_venn
    Zander_venn
    Community Member
    Options

So - you seem to be getting further away from understanding me. Forget search. I don't use search. I only mentioned search because you mentioned it. Of course if I do search (for when I'm looking for a password not attached to a website URL) I don't just scroll though thousands of entries.

I'm kind of tired of this now. Here's a simple version.

The hover interaction to get open and fill doesn't work every time. Why does there need to be a hover interaction? If you want people to use the keyboard why add a mouse based interaction? I can get to the open and fill with five or six keyboard presses - depending on how many things are in the suggested list, but I used to be able to do it in one click.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. We'll see what we can do to improve that.

• Zander_venn
    Zander_venn
    Community Member
    Options

Apologies for the double post - the first one disappeared, so I posted again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries. I think it just got stuck in the spam queue temporarily. :)

This discussion has been closed.