1P no longer fills in user or password field on updated websites

So I have many dozens of logins now that I must copy and paste the username and password either in the website, mobilesite or app but ditching the 1P item to trash as has been recommended so I can make a new item means I have to copy and paste the security questions, notes, dates, bother and then resync and rediscover the mobilesite and app.

Has this been simplified in 1P 7, a feature to update 1P login when a website, etc. changes?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Wifi

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @over-specd,

While there hasn't been functionality added to specifically address this, 1Password 7 does allow something that would help speed up the manual copying and pasting. From the main window you can tear off two new windows, one for each of the two Login items and you can enter edit mode in both new windows simultaneously. This would allow easy copy and pasting of field labels as you could only copy field values when not in edit mode.

Outside of that, while it is possible to manually transplant part of one item to another, it involves being comfortable with a text editor, ideally one that can format JSON formatted text, that or comfort with at a terminal prompt. It's the sort of thing the average person would likely find more cumbersome than manually copying fields so only for the determined.

• over-specd
    over-specd
    Community Member

Thank you for the workaround. I can edit JSON files. How can I access the JSON in version 1P 6 to give this a try?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @over-specd,

Enter 1Password's preferences and switch to the Advanced tab. Enable the option titled Copy JSON. You will now find a new menu option in the Item menu. What you'll want to do is save a new Login item, one that works and then copy the two JSONs into your preferred text editor. They're in compacted form, below is what they would look like after some automated formatting. I also truncated the fields array a bit as it was overly long for an example.

{
      "URLs": [
        {
          "overview": {
            "label": "website", 
            "url": "https://twitter.com/"
          }
        }
      ], 
      "categoryUUID": "001", 
      "createdAt": 1534853301, 
      "details": {
        "fields": [
          {
            "designation": "username", 
            "id": ";opid=__0", 
            "name": "session[username_or_email]", 
            "type": "T", 
            "value": "somebody@example.com"
          }, 
          {
            "designation": "password", 
            "id": ";opid=__1", 
            "name": "session[password]", 
            "type": "P", 
            "value": "peekaboo"
          }, 
          {
            "id": ";opid=__2", 
            "type": "I", 
            "value": "Log in"
          },
          {
            "id": ";opid=__50", 
            "type": "B", 
            "value": "Next Tweet from user"
          }
        ], 
        "htmlForm": {
          "htmlMethod": "LB1"
        }, 
        "sections": [
          {
            "name": "linked items", 
            "title": "Related Items"
          }
        ]
      }, 
      "overview": {
        "ainfo": "somebody@example.com", 
        "ps": 1, 
        "title": "Twitter", 
        "url": "https://twitter.com/"
      }, 
      "sectionName": "T", 
      "updatedAt": 1534853302, 
      "uuid": "cken5gxkt5cidps4stvkydogle"
    }

What you would want to do is copy the entire fields array from the working one and replace the one in the original but broken one. Copy the entire thing back into the macOS clipboard and then switch to 1Password. With the JSON in the clipboard you will find a new menu option, File > New Item from Clipboard. This item will have all of your custom fields but as it has the new fields array it should fill like the new item did. Once you confirm you can safely delete the original item that this one replaces. So if you don't mind editing JSON you may find this quicker.

This discussion has been closed.