To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Comparing .com vs .eu: any speed or other differences (besides billing / servers location)?

gantico
gantico
Community Member

I'm in the first month of trial for a family subscription on 1password.com and I've already populated a lot of data in my account. I discovered at a second time that there is an alternative subscription with an European server, but it requires starting over. I don't mind if my data is stored in the USA, but I was wondering if the .eu could offer a significantly faster experience for someone living in Europe. Do you have a Global Content Delivery Network that will make any difference in speed between .com and .eu relatively marginal or should I expect a completely different experience? Besides billing in € vs $, servers in Europe vs USA, gift cards not yet available on .eu, more staff in the USA vs less staff in EU, is there any other significant difference between a subscription on .com vs .eu?

Thanks for any clarification
Giovanni

1Password Version: 7.2.576
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• Hi @gantico

We use Amazon AWS, and so while you may notice a very slight difference in connectivity speed between .com and .eu we’re likely talking about miliseconds difference. Much closer in my estimation to “relatively marginal” vs “completely different experience.”

Besides billing in € vs $, servers in Europe vs USA, gift cards not yet available on .eu, more staff in the USA vs less staff in EU, is there any other significant difference between a subscription on .com vs .eu?

Those and data storage location are really all I can think of. If you aren’t required to store your data in the EU and don’t have a requirement to be billed in €... If it were me I wouldn’t make the effort required to change.

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2018

So, to add some additional information about the effective speed difference... this is going to be completely variable based on network conditions. It is actually possible, though not very likely, that 1Password.com would be lower latency / faster for someone in the EU than 1Password.eu. It really depends on how your ISP routes traffic to these destinations. I thought about posting measurements taken from my computer here but really that provides very little if any valuable information. Traffic from your computer traveling to each of those destinations is likely to take a very different route than traffic from my computer.

If you want a measurement, you can load each https://start.1password.com/ and https://start.1password.eu/ in a web browser and use the network times measurement in the development tool to compare. But if you need to look that closely at it to notice a difference I'd argue that it probably doesn't make enough difference to justify spending any time evaluating. :)

Ben

• gantico
    gantico
    Community Member

Hi @Ben
    thanks for your quick and clear reply. I feel relieved knowing that there's no good reason to start over with the .eu

Currently the $-€ exchange fluctuations are making the .com offer more convenient and 100$ gift cards only on the .com are definitely making it more attractive!

I knew that 1password had a great reputation for assistance, but this forum exceeded my expectations. I wish that all the support forums in the world where like this one!
    :chuffed:

• gantico
    gantico
    Community Member

I was more concerned about syncing a new device and downloading a lot of items, but I guess that loading the landing page .eu vs .com test could be a just good enough indicator. For the sake of curiosity I made a quick test like you suggested @Ben and there was a really small difference. Results were slightly different each time (even disabling cache) but we are talking about 1.06s vs 1.11s. It's literally a matter of milliseconds for the landing page and I imagine that won't be any significant difference with data sync.

thanks again.

• You're very welcome @gantico. :) Thanks for the kind words. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• gantico
    gantico
    Community Member

Last 2 questions @Ben:
    I understand from this forum that you plan to introduce localization of categories for subscribers. When it happens could there be something different in the .com vs .eu? For example "Social security numbers" don't exist in my country, we have fiscal code with different kind of details. If one day you introduce the option to localize categories or introduce templates tailored for European market, do I risk to miss them if I'm subscribed on the .com?

Is more probable that new features roll out earlier on the .com and later on the .eu? (like it happened for the gift cards)

Super Thanks again.

• @gantico,

If one day you introduce the option to localize categories or introduce templates tailored for European market, do I risk to miss them if I'm subscribed on the .com?

One of the first big steps for this just rolled out today, and is available on all instances. You can change your language from your profile page. This only affects the web client at the moment (not the native clients like 1Password for Mac).

So, in short, I'd say I suspect you'll continue to see the same software running all instances.

Is more probable that new features roll out earlier on the .com and later on the .eu? (like it happened for the gift cards)

Anything I could say here would really just be speculation, but I don't suspect that'll be the case.

Ben

• MartinBzm
    MartinBzm
    Community Member

Hi. I have signed up with 1Password on .com recently but had not noticed there is an European option. I intended to test it for personal use but like it so much I want to use it for my day-to-day business as well.
    Is there an option to move my account from the .com to the .eu servers ?
    I ask because some of my clients are very sensitive about where (their) data is stored.
    Thanks in advance!

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member

You have to create an .eu account. Then transfer the database and delete the denn.com account.
    But it can also be that there is now an automatic way.

• Hi folks.

Instructions and further details can be found here:

1Password in your region

Ben

This discussion has been closed.