I have a membership, but no secret key or emergency kit

Kate7745
Kate7745
Community Member

I've had a 1Password account for YEARS. Ever since v.3.7.5 I think. Or even earlier. I believe I was told at one time that my secret key was the email I used to sign up with. Is that correct? Anyway, I need it. Can you help? I'm currently using 1Password v. 6.8.9 on my iMac running OS v.10.13.6.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Kate7745
    Kate7745
    Community Member

Months ago, after much back and forth, Stephen was able to help me get 1P 6 running on my iMac. Had no luck doing the same with my IOS devices. Very frustrating. Can you help?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
    Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
    OS Version: OS 10.13.6
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @Kate7745

There is a little bit of confusion over terminology going on here. So let's try to clear that up.

An "account", as far as 1Password means it, refers exclusively to those who have 1Password membership subscriptions. If you don't have a subscription, you don't have an "account". Instead, you have a standalone license and use 1Password that way. Considering that 1Password accounts were only introduced in 2016 part way through 1Password 6's life cycle, my guess is that you don't actually have a 1Password account.

So here's the next question. What exactly are you trying to do that brought this all up?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Kate7745 - I certainly think you can get 1Password running on your iOS devices. 6.8.9 isn't a 1Password for iOS version; that sounds like your Mac's version. Can you tell me what version of 1Password for iOS you're running, and what sync method you use (1password.com account? Dropbox? iCloud)? Thanks.

• Kate7745
    Kate7745
    Community Member

Trying to update from 1P 3.x.x on my iMac & IOS devices. Worked with another agilebits tech for weeks earlier this year and finally got the 1P v6.x.x on the OS but never on my IOS devices. And I really need it on my IOS devices.

• Kate7745
    Kate7745
    Community Member

Looks like 7.0.6 on the iPhone, but there is no data populating the app. That’s what we were never able to accomplish. Don’t know about syncing. It wasn’t Dropbox nor do I think it was iCloud. Apparently, I do not have a 1P account; only the licenses I purchased for the various devices.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Kate7745 - thanks for the clarification. When you were (previously) using version 3 on both iOS and Mac, were you syncing your data between these devices? What I'm getting at is: were you able to get a complete an up-to-date copy of your data from your Mac working in version 6 on your Mac? Is that working OK now?

• Kate7745
    Kate7745
    Community Member

Yes, I was able to get an up-to-date copy from my Mac working in version 6 on my Mac. I was unable to do the same on either of my IOS devices.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Kate7745 - if the copy of your 1Password data that's currently on your Mac is complete and up-to-date, then you don't need to worry about preserving the data on your iOS devices. What you can do is visit the App Store on each of your iOS devices, download 1Password 7 for iOS (assuming you have iOS 11 installed), and then sync your data from your Mac.

Can I ask: how are you syncing your 1Password data, currently, on your Mac?

• Kate7745
    Kate7745
    Community Member

I'm not sure I understand the question, Lars—forgive my stupidity. While 1Password is currently working on my iMac, 1Password is not working on my IOS devices, so there is nothing to sync.

However, I will go ahead and download 1Password 7 to my iPhone. Should I delete the vault that was previously migrated to the iPhone? Not that it's done me much good.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Kate7745 -- Don't apologize! No need at all. When you begin using standalone 1Password, all your data is on your local device. And it will stay there, unless you sync it. If you were able to get 1Password 6 for Mac running on your Mac with an up-to-date copy of your data, then all you need to do is choose a sync method. Then, on any other devices you want to use 1Password on, download the most-current version, and on the first-run, choose to sync with whatever method you chose as a sync method on the first device.

The only way this will NOT work is if your iOS devices are old enough that they can't run recent versions of 1Password. If you're using an iPhone 5S or newer, you should be OK. Are you currently syncing your 1Password data on your Mac? If you unlock 1Password and go to Preferences > Sync, what do you see?

This discussion has been closed.