Crashing at startup or launch

My 1Password (version 7.2.576) keeps crashing when I attempt to launch it. I have already installed .NET 4.7.2 on my Windows 7 x64 bit laptop.

Faulting application name: 1Password.exe, version: 7.2.576.0, time stamp: 0x5b69b6af
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.24214, time stamp: 0x5b627020
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000c54f
Faulting process id: 0x22fc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d43a54a0077ed1
Faulting application path: C:\Users\chank\AppData\Local\1password\app\7\1Password.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: e254955d-a647-11e8-bd91-f8cab847f186

Application: 1Password.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

1Password Version: 7.2.576
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 x64
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Crashing

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kchaneg,

Thank you for getting in touch! :+1: I am sorry to hear about the crash.

First of all, could you please tell me if you are running Windows 7 Service Pack 1? Do you have all of the Windows updates installed?

Additionally, please try to do the following:

1. Open Start, search for services and open it.
    2. Scroll the list to find the Network Location Awareness. Right-click it to select its Properties.
    3. Set the Startup type to be Automatic and press OK. Here is how it should look like.
    4. Reboot and check if the issue with 1Password crash remains.

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• kchaneg
    kchaneg
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply, however, I checked the services and it was already started and is set to be Automatic (for Startup type). And yes, 1Password 7 still crashes.

• @kchaneg: I see you've got a lock screen in the background there – is 1Password crashing when you launch the app, or does it open fine and crash when you unlock? If the latter, have you attempted to sign out of any accounts recently?

• kchaneg
    kchaneg
    Community Member

It crashes at launch time. Not on this machine, ever since 1Password 7 got updated. I have been using this machine with 1Password successfully.

• Thanks, @kchaneg! I saw the error prompt in your screenshot and assumed that was from the problem machine. In that case, if you're able to generate one, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

If your app doesn't live long enough to do that, could you send a crash report instead:

Sending a Crash Report

One thing to note with the crash report is that these sorts of crashes are usually coupled with a .NET crash. It should be logged right below the 1Password-specific crash and will generally (though not always) make mention of 1Password at some point. Make sure to include that one as well – it tends to be the more helpful error event.

Attach the diagnostics or crash report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com and please include a link to this thread as well. That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your email.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. If you post that number here, it will help us hunt down your e-mail so we can take a peek and get back to you ASAP. Thanks! :chuffed:

• kchaneg
    kchaneg
    Community Member

Yes it was from the problem machine.

Log Name: Application
    Source: .NET Runtime
    Date: 8/23/2018 4:33:09 PM
    Event ID: 1026
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: ---Censored ---
    Description:
    at System.Runtime.InteropServices.ComTypes.IConnectionPoint.Advise(System.Object, Int32 ByRef)
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceNetwork.AdviseForNetworkListManager()
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceNetwork.RegisterEvents()
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceNetwork+<b__23_0>d.MoveNext()

Exception Info: System.AggregateException
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.App.b__11_1(System.Object, System.Threading.Tasks.UnobservedTaskExceptionEventArgs)
    at System.EventHandler`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].Invoke(System.Object, System.__Canon)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskScheduler.PublishUnobservedTaskException(System.Object, System.Threading.Tasks.UnobservedTaskExceptionEventArgs)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskExceptionHolder.Finalize()

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
    ---Censored ---

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.ComTypes.IConnectionPoint.Advise(System.Object, Int32 ByRef)
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceNetwork.AdviseForNetworkListManager()
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceNetwork.RegisterEvents()
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.WorkspaceNetwork+<<StartAsync>b__23_0>d.MoveNext()

Exception Info: System.AggregateException
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.App.<StartErrorLogging>b__11_1(System.Object, System.Threading.Tasks.UnobservedTaskExceptionEventArgs)
    at System.EventHandler`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].Invoke(System.Object, System.__Canon)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskScheduler.PublishUnobservedTaskException(System.Object, System.Threading.Tasks.UnobservedTaskExceptionEventArgs)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskExceptionHolder.Finalize()

• kchaneg
    kchaneg
    Community Member

Support ID is [#QMX-89592-742]

• Thanks, @kchaneg! I found your e-mail and went ahead and replied there. Having to redact crash reports on a public forum is a bit less than fun, so I figured taking things somewhere less public might be a boon to your typing fingers. For others that might see this though, this is the crash Greg was referencing earlier. I'm not sure why his steps didn't work for you, but for most encountering this issue they should. We'll keep digging via e-mail, though, so we're not trying to talk in two places. 👍

ref: QMX-89592-742

• ny_italiano
    ny_italiano
    Community Member

Having same issues here with Win 7 SP1...I've uninstalled and re-installed and get the same error on initial launch (1Password for Windows desktop has stopped working). In Windows event logs there are errors for 1Password application and .net runtime, as aforementioned in this string. The NLA service is started and set to auto for me as well...any other ideas? Submitted ticket five days ago, but no reply as of yet...

• ny_italiano
    ny_italiano
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Windows Installer installed an update. Product Name: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2. Product Version: 4.7.03062. Product Language: 0. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Update Name: KB4457016. Installation success or error status: 0.

Started noticing issues after this update was installed...

• ny_italiano
    ny_italiano
    Community Member

I removed KB4457016, but still no joy...same errors being thrown with application and .net...?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ny_italiano,

Thank you for chipping in! I am sorry for the troubles.

I can see that you also sent us an email. We will take a closer look at your situation and get back you via email soon.

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: WZJ-62372-696

• ny_italiano
    ny_italiano
    Community Member

Thanks Greg.

• ny_italiano
    ny_italiano
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

This is the fix Greg had me apply...thanks! In my case, NLS and BITS weren't set ot auto, and NLS was disabled.

Could you please try to do the following:

1. Open Start, search for services and open it.
    2. Scroll the list to find the Network Location Awareness. Right-click it to select its Properties.
    3. Set the Startup type to be Automatic and press OK. (Screenshot: https://com-agilebits-users.s3.amazonaws.com/mike/pb-YtJtEZ2y1C-w.png)
    4. Repeat the process for the other services: Network List Service and Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
  • On behalf of Greg, you're welcome.

I'm glad he was able to get you up and running. We're not entirely sure why all three services need to be running but got to love Windows.

This discussion has been closed.