Sharing license with family member

Options
asankey
asankey
Community Member

I have been using 1P for several years as a stand-alone app. That is, I purchased a license and have been using it without an account or subscription on all my devices. I have recently downloaded 1P on my son's computer through iTunes. His version seems to require a subscription (or a free trial that leads to a subscription). Is this the only way that he can use it? Is there a way to just share my license with him without having to move to a subscription?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@asankey: The 1Password apps are sold per-person, per version. And specifically with the App Store, there is no license that could even theoretically be shared, as the purchase would be tired to your Apple ID. So it would be a separate purchase for him.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password Families membership, which not only gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data — it allows you to share that with your loved ones as well. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits, like these:

• It's easy to share vaults securely, so you can each give each other access to important information that might be needed in an emergency.
    • Automatic offsite backup and item history are included, so losing your devices doesn't mean losing your data.
    • Family Organizers can perform account recovery for other family members if they forget their Master Password or other account credentials.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• asankey
    asankey
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. We do have family sharing in iTunes, so I am normally able to share apps with him -- but I think what you're saying is that the license to use 1Password doesn't transfer.

• Ben
    Options

That is correct. Only 1Password memberships come with the ability to share with your family (specifically 1Password Families).

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018
    Options

@asankey: Just to clarify, in-app purchases are not eligible for Apple's Family Sharing feature.

This discussion has been closed.