Why does my 1PW login work on Windows and Mac, but not iOS?

cappy
cappy
Community Member
edited August 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

When I login to the Keyboad Mestro forum site using my iPad &1PW, the website states that it doesn’t recognize my credentials. The only way I can log in, is to reset my password. When I reset my password, I can see that my login name is correct, and matches the entry in 1 Password.

I’m able to login to the Keyboad Mestro forum site on MacOS and Windows, with the same login entry in 1 PW.

When I manually paste the username and password into the login dialog, I am logged in without incident.

This is a head scratcher.

1Password Version:7.1.1
_Extension Version:TBD
_OS Version:
Sync Type: Icloud

Comments

• Hi @cappy,

A head scratcher indeed. You're saying that if you copy & paste the credentials from the login item in 1Password for iOS it works, but if 1Password fills that login instead it doesn't work? If that is the case I'd suggest creating a new login item:

How to save a Login manually in your browser | 1Password

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Ben

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

You're saying that if you copy & paste the credentials from the login item in 1Password for iOS it works, but if 1Password fills that login >>instead it doesn't work?

Correct. Also, these login credentials work on Windows and Mac.

I have created a new login item, as well as having deleted the old one.
    Nothing changed.

Please try this for yourself at https://forum.keyboardmaestro.com, and post the results here.
    You'll need to create an account on that website.

• @cappy

Please check and see what you have saved in the login item for a username. When I test this Ben was saved as my username, but agben is actually my username. I believe 1Password is getting confused on this point if you save the login item from the registration page, but it doesn't cause any such confusion when saving the login from their login page.

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2019

I did open an issue with development to see if we can improve the process of saving logins from the Discourse registration page (Keyboard Maestro uses Discourse for this page).

Ben

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#239

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

accidental duplicate post was deleted

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

Please check and see what you have saved in the login item for a username

Remember- this login works on two other OS's, so the login has to be correct

• I'm not able to reproduce that on my end. Once I corrected the issue with the username the login worked perfectly on iOS from both Safari and 1Browser.

How/where are you saving the login?

Ben

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

How/where are you saving the login?

I'm not sure what you're asking.
    1Password doesn't prompt me to create the login, so I've typed in my login & password manually, along with the URL for the KM forum.
    That information is saved in 1PW's database

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2018

I'm not sure what you're asking.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I'm asking how the login ended up in 1Password. Did the browser extension on your Mac prompt you to save it? Did you enter it manually in the 1Password for iOS app? Did you save it through the 1Password extension in Safari on iOS?

1Password doesn't prompt me to create the login, so I've typed in my login & password manually, along with the URL for the KM forum.
    That information is saved in 1PW's database

That may be the problem and the difference between what I'm seeing and what you're seeing. I used the instructions I posted above to manually save the login from my Mac. I tested it using both 1Password X and the regular 1Password browser extension that integrates with 1Password for Mac. Both produced the results I mentioned above. I posted the instructions for doing that above:

https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/

Ben

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Did you enter it manually in the 1Password for iOS app?

Yes, that's the only way to create login entries these days. 1PW just doesn't prompt me to save them any more.

Why did you do this from the Mac?
    Would you do this on iOS to see if you can duplicate the issue?

1PW rarely prompts me to save logins, on on of the 3 iOSs I use it on.

I wont be able to try your suggestion, until later tonight.
    My Mac and ipad are at home.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2018

Why did you do this from the Mac?

You didn't mention which OS you saved the login from, only that you were having trouble filling it on iOS.

Would you do this on iOS to see if you can duplicate the issue?

Sure, though whether I can or not doesn't help you get a working login item. For what it is worth I just tested manually saving the login on iOS and it fill as expected (and allows me to login) both in Safari and 1Browser.

1PW rarely prompts me to save logins, on on of the 3 iOSs I use it on.

1Password on iOS will never prompt you to save a login because it doesn't have that ability. If you aren't seeing prompts elsewhere I'd suggest checking in the 1Password application's preferences to make sure the option to do so is enabled.

Ben

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

Password on iOS will never prompt you to save a login because it doesn't have that ability.

That's news to me. How can that be?

• Extensions on iOS aren’t active or able to interact with you until you open them from the share sheet, and as such on iOS we have no way of prompting you to save a password.

Ben

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

Hi Ben

Ok, after a long weekend, I'm getting back to this issue.
    I've deleted my previous login for the KM forum, and followed these instructions ->https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/
    by creating the login on the Mac. I've also verified I can login go the KM forum on the Mac, before trying the new login, in iOS.

When I go to the KM login screen on iOS, I bring up 1PW by clicking on the up arrow on the browser bar (I don't know the correct terminology for that up arrow menu on iOS), and bring up 1PW. When prompted with the fingerprint screen, I put my finger on the him button. 1PW unlocks, displays the "new" (based on the timestamp at the bottom of the login entry) login for the KM forum. When I click on that entry, my USer ID & password are pasted into the appropriate boxes. After a few seconds, "Please enter your email or username and password" is displayed. When I manually copy & paste my password from the 1PW login entry for the KM forum, into the Log In box on the KM site, I click the Login button, and I'm logged in just fine.

The problem only occurrs when 1PW autofills my password. My User ID doesn't seem to be a problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@cappy: Thanks for following up. I'm wondering if there's some information we're missing though, because like Ben I'm not seeing that behaviour at all. Can you tell me the specific browser version you're using? Also be sure to update iOS if you're still using 11.3. Also, in order to go from this:

When I click on that entry, my USer ID & password are pasted into the appropriate boxes.

to this:

After a few seconds, "Please enter your email or username and password" is displayed.

You'd need to tap the "Log In" button below the username and password fields to submit the form. Did you do that? It sounds like maybe not.

Finally, this:

The problem only occurrs when 1PW autofills my password. My User ID doesn't seem to be a problem.

suggests that the problem may be that you've saved a password in your login item which is too long for the website to accept. It's possible that there's some other issue with what you've saved in 1Password, but length is the most common cause of an issue like this. Unfortunately the site is not at all forthcoming with regard to password requirements/restrictions, so I can't tell you what they might be rejecting. But it's worth considering. Let me know what you find.

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

suggests that the problem may be that you've saved a password in your login item which is too long for the website to accept.

If that were the case, when I manually paste the password into the login dialog, the site would not log me in.

However, manually pasting the password is the ONLY way I can log into the KM site.

I'll have to reply to the other things tha tyou've asked about, when I get home tonight, since that is where my Mac is.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If that were the case, when I manually paste the password into the login dialog, the site would not log me in.

@cappy: Nope. Most website's will truncate text entered manually. But 1Password uses a script, bypassing such restrictions. But I'm not sure that's what's going on here. Just something worth checking.

However, manually pasting the password is the ONLY way I can log into the KM site. I'll have to reply to the other things tha tyou've asked about, when I get home tonight, since that is where my Mac is.

Sounds good. It's really baffling to me that it works for both myself and Ben. Maybe try changing your password on the site and updating the login in 1Password:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

It seems that the site doesn't actually have a password change mechanism though; rather, you do a password reset and then create a new one. All kinds of confusing!

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

@brenty
    Sorry for the delay, was on a business trip without the Mac, so I couldn’t do the troubleshooting steps.

Can you tell me the specific browser version you're using

Chrome on iOS, but I can’t find the version.

You need to tap on the log in button, it sounds like you didn’t do that.

If I hadn’t tapped on the login button, there would not have been an attempt to login, and I wouldn’t have posted
    This thread.

Will try a shorter password, it seems like that’s the only recourse I have.

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

BTW, I’m staying on 11.3. From what I read 11.4 caused more problems than it fixed.

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

I see one problem- I’ve used my Mac to reset the password to 10 characters, saved the new PW in 1PW on the Mac, logged out and back in, to verify the new password is saved and works on the Mac.
    When I tried logging in on iOS, I looked at the PW in 1PW on iOS, the new password that I had saved on my Mac, didn’t propagate to the 1PW database on iOS. How long should this take?

Correction- the above refers to the 1PW shortcut that is at the top of the browser screen, near the URL entry box. However, when I run the real 1 PW app on iOS, the updated password matches what I saved on the Mac. This explains almost everything, except for the fact that the 1PW shortcut app isn’t being updated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cappy: Can you tell me what "shortcut app" you're referring to? Are you maybe confusing Apple's "key" icon for Keychain with 1Password's "key_hole_" icon? Off the top of my head, the only other thing I can think of is that you tried to fill it using the extension only before opening 1Password for iOS, and 1Password for iOS cannot sync any data until you launch it. If you try it now, is the password updated?

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cappy: Ah gotcha. 1Password iOS extension. :)

Can you answer my other question though?

Off the top of my head, the only other thing I can think of is that you tried to fill it using the extension only before opening 1Password for iOS, and 1Password for iOS cannot sync any data until you launch it. If you try it now, is the password updated?

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

The 1PW shortcut app at the top of the browser, next to the URL bar.

I’ve just checked the PW extension, now the PW for the KM forum is finally updated, but it’s been hours since I posted my reply.

I DID launch the full 1 PW app to compare the passwords, but the sync was too slow. The full 1PW app does show the correct password.

It doesn’t make sense why these two apps have two different databases. They should be using a common database.

I’m still not able to log into the KM forum, even with a short password (10 characters).

Is it possible to add a delay between the auto fill of the username and password?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The 1PW shortcut app at the top of the browser, next to the URL bar.

@cappy: :) :+1:

I’ve just checked the PW extension, now the PW for the KM forum is finally updated, but it’s been hours since I posted my reply.

Indeed, iOS extensions do not have the ability to do things like sync data in the background, so you'd need to launch the main 1Password app for it to update your data. Then the extension can use it too.

I DID launch the full 1 PW app to compare the passwords, but the sync was too slow. The full 1PW app does show the correct password.

If you're seeing a situation where the main 1Password app has the correct data, and then after that you're still not seeing it in the extension, let me know. It doesn't sound like that's the case though.

It doesn’t make sense why these two apps have two different databases. They should be using a common database.

They don't. There's one database, and it's in the main 1Password app. The iOS extension is literally part of the main app — and extension of it — and it only has the data the main app does. And since only the main app can sync, it will need to be launched first to update the data before the extension can access it.

I’m still not able to log into the KM forum, even with a short password (10 characters). Is it possible to add a delay between the auto fill of the username and password?

I'm not sure I follow. Can you give me the play by play of what you're trying to do?

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

“If you're seeing a situation where the main 1Password app has the correct data, and then after that you're still not seeing it in the extension, let me know. It doesn't sound like that's the case though.”

That’s EXACTLY what I’m saying. The full 1PW app has the correct password, but the extension initially showed the wrong password. The extension has been updated, but it took a very long time. However, I still cannot login to the KM forum, using the extension.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cappy: What I mean is that the extension cannot have any updated data until after you've launched the main 1Password app. Here you said you did that, and now the extension has the updated data. That's exactly what I'd expect. What am I missing?

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

And I've mentioned several times, that I've had to launch the full 1PW app, before checking the the PW in the 1PW extension. How else could I have known that the passwords did not match?

That's exactly what I'd expect. What am I missing?

Initially, the Extension PW didn't match even after I had launched the full 1PW app. Only after several hours (and many posts about the same thing), did the extension get updated.

And again, even though the extension is finally updated, I still cannot log into the KM forum, unless I manually paste the password into the login screen.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

And I've mentioned several times, that I've had to launch the full 1PW app, before checking the the PW in the 1PW extension. How else could I have known that the passwords did not match?

@cappy: I don't see anywhere you said that previously in this entire discussion, so thank you for clarifying.

Initially, the Extension PW didn't match even after I had launched the full 1PW app. Only after several hours (and many posts about the same thing), did the extension get updated.

That's very clear. Thank you.

And again, even though the extension is finally updated, I still cannot log into the KM forum, unless I manually paste the password into the login screen.

Indeed, I did understand that, and I'm sorry to hear it, but again, it's not something any of us here are able to reproduce. Where are you copying and pasting the password from exactly? The main 1Password app? Maybe this is also related to the extension somehow having different data on your device. Certainly that could also explain the login failure.

If you're able to reproduce the issue, with different data in 1Password extension versus app, again, generate a diagnostic report immediately so we can take a closer look:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#LNQ-42875-198]

If you’re reading this and you are not cappy, this Support ID is for cappy only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: LNQ-42875-198

However, I wonder if there may just be a misunderstanding surrounding the login issue. Earlier you said:

1PW unlocks, displays the "new" (based on the timestamp at the bottom of the login entry) login for the KM forum. When I click on that entry, my USer ID & password are pasted into the appropriate boxes. After a few seconds, "Please enter your email or username and password" is displayed. When I manually copy & paste my password from the 1PW login entry for the KM forum, into the Log In box on the KM site, I click the Login button, and I'm logged in just fine.

After you have 1Password fill the login credentials, did you tap the "Log In" button on the form? It sounds like maybe you didn't, and we're expecting that to happen automatically. But I'm not able to get the message you're describing — "Please enter your email or username and password", so that either means I'm reading too much into you not mentioning the actual login attempt, or perhaps the website isn't immediately recognizing that something has been filled by 1Password and is causing you some confusion by displaying that message, maybe unnecessarily. Let me know if tapping "Log In" to submit the credentials 1Password filled works for you.

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

Let me know if tapping "Log In" to submit the credentials 1Password filled works for you

You’ve asked me this more than once, and I’ve replied each time.
    I did click Log In
    If I didn’t tap/click LogIn, how would I know that the website doesn’t like my credentials?

This discussion has been closed.