Unable to search for logins if no website listed against it

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

Hi All

This is my first post, I got fed up of the syncing glitches in Enpass, so I'm trying 1Password and there's a lot to like, but also some stuff I'd like to see changed. Anyway, the point of my post is to mention that it's frustrating not being able to search for logins on iOS when trying to login to a site. It only seems to list items with a website attached. I don't have this attached to all my logins and sometimes the URL's are different, so I wouldn't always have them all. It would be nice to be able to search for them as well as listing the ones with matching websites.

Rich

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12 Public Beta 9
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hi Rich!

Welcome to the forum, and to 1Password. Thanks for giving us a try. This was a very intentional design decision. Even if you could search to find such logins 1Password would not fill them. It will only fill login items that have a website field that match the page you’re viewing. Do note however that it is possible to list multiple websites on a login, so for example if you have a login that is valid for both https://login.microsoftonline.com/ as well as https://www.office.com you can list both of those sites and 1Password will fill on either. When you use 1Password to save a login it will always save at least the URL you are currently viewing. For more popular sites we also have a list of alternate URLs that will be saved (gmail.com vs google.com is one example).

The reason we do this is to help prevent phishing, which is still a really common problem. We don’t want your credentials for https://www.office.com to get filled on https://www.offlce.com (note the “L” instead of the “I”).

I’m sorry that probably means some work in order to get your data straightened out but I hope that explains the thought process behind why this works the way it does.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Thanks for the response Ben, your justification makes sense, I understand the reasoning/approach and perhaps it would work if you have URL's set against all accounts and people knew that's why they aren't shown, but I'm not sure it would actually stop a phishing attempt, as people can just switch to the app and back, just thinking there's a missing feature, as I did.

Personally, I'd rather an option to search, but perhaps with a warning or only if selected in an advanced menu, as all I do is switch to the app and then come back. Envato is a good example of where listing URL's isn't easily done as there are a lot of different sites, with different purposes, but all managed via one account.

Rich

• Thanks for the feedback, Rich. :)

Ben

• thanel
    thanel
    Community Member

I totally agree with the OP - this an annoying 'feature'. I have to open the app to find the password. It does nothing to prevent phishing just makes it more difficult to use and is definelly a reason to look at lastpass

• We respectfully disagree @thanel, and if you’re finding you need to do this often I’d recommend adding appropriate ‘website’ fields to your items. When you use 1Password to save an item it will do this for you automatically. That said, we do appreciate the feedback here and will take it into consideration as we continue to improve the offering.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

From my point of view, please don't worry about this as I've found 1Password lacking features and functionality in many areas, but thankfully Enpass has upped their game in their latest beta versions. Since my last feedback was instantly dismissed, I'm not willing to share my thoughts, as I feel it would be a waste of my time and you wouldn't take it on board.

I've deleted my 1Password passwords, vaults and account. How can I delete my forum user? I'm surprised there's no easy way to leave the community.

• @wallacr,

We consider all feedback that we receive. I wouldn’t assume yours was dismissed. In any event, I’m glad to hear you’ve found a password management solution that works for you. Best of luck. I’m deleting your forum account as requested.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.