Browser extension doesn't do anything when clicked

nickmpw
nickmpw
Community Member
edited August 2018 in Mac

I'm a 1Password admin for my organization, and I have a user on a MacBook whose 1Password browser extensions aren't working. The main 1Password app works just fine, but when clicking the extension icon, nothing happens. I've tried reinstalling the Chrome extension multiple times, as well as reinstalling Chrome, and even deleting Chrome profile information before reinstalling.

I took the following from a similar report: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/72653/nothing-happens-when-clicking-the-browser-extension-button. Please let me know what other information would be useful.

If you use the ⌘\ (command+backslash) keyboard shortcut in a browser instead of clicking the extension icon, does anything happen? A 1Password window opens and displays credentials in the left-hand pane, but the right-hand pane also suggests installing the browser extension. This behavior is the same in Chrome and Safari.
What happens if you click on the URL field of a Login item in the main 1Password app? A blank Chrome tab opens. (Chrome is the default browser.)
In the main 1Password app, if you go to 1Password > Preferences > General, is the Always keep 1Password mini running option enabled/checked? I don't see this option in the described path. Has this option been removed?

1Password Version: 7.0.7 (70007000)
Extension Version: Chrome 4.7.2.90; Safari 4.7.2
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nickmpw - sorry for the trouble!

I have a user on a MacBook whose browser extensions aren't working.

ExtensionS, plural? Does this user typically use more than one browser to do 1Password-related work? And if so, is the 1Password browser extension not working across all browsers? Or is it only in a single browser that things aren't working properly? And by "extensions," did you mean ALL extensions in that browser, or just the 1Password extension?

That thread you reference is from December of 2016, so yes, a number of things have changed, including the option you referenced in your final question. Let me ask you this: where are 1Password 7 and this user's browser(s)? Are they in /Applications? Or in ~/Applications? Or somewhere else?

• nickmpw
    nickmpw
    Community Member

Sorry about that - I should have been clearer. This user just wants to use the 1Password Chrome extension - all mentions of Safari above were for testing purposes only. Other browser extensions seem to work fine - it's only 1Password that has been acting up.

1Password 7.app, Google Chrome.app, and Safari.app are all in /Applications/ - none are in ~/Applications/ or elsewhere.

• @nickmpw

Thanks for that additional information. In the short term I’d recommend giving 1Password X for Chrome a try. This is an extension that interfaces with 1Password.com directly, instead of relying on communication with the 1Password for Mac app. It can be installed alongside the traditional 1Password extension. You can get that here:

Download for Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, Chrome, Linux | 1Password

As for finding a longer term solution... I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from this user’s Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/94831/
    • Your forum username: nickmpw

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• nickmpw
    nickmpw
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben. My support ID is #XAK-14389-626.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nickmpw - thanks, one of us will be with you shortly. :)

ref: XAK-14389-626

• nickmpw
    nickmpw
    Community Member

Just wanted to leave a follow-up for anyone who might run across this thread at a later date. I never determined what the issue was. I had already restarted the problematic MacBook multiple times before posting here, and it made no difference. During troubleshooting, 1Password support had me restart again, and the extensions started working normally. I have no idea what changed - just that everything's working, now.

Thanks again to everyone at 1Password support for your help!

• Thanks for the update @nickmpw. Glad to hear you were able to get this resolved, even if it is a bit of a mystery.

Ben

• maxamg
    maxamg
    Community Member

Hello! I also have this issue - browser extensions have been misbehaving a little since upgrading to 7. In Chrome, until today, I was able to use it, but the command+\ shortcut to launch a new tab and URL was not. Today the chrome extension has stopped working - strangely the icon in the chrome bar doesn't display anything when clicked. That was also the case before today (but since upgrading to v7). Today, the safari extension doesn't work either - its visible, but when clicked it sort of flashes up for <1second then disappears.

I did try to remove v7 and reinstall 6.. Then went back to 7 when I couldn't get my passwords.

So I've cleanly uninstalled app, browser extensions, then restarted and re-installed app and browser extensions. 1Password is now working fine (just subscribed to a year, yay) but can't seem to get any browser extensions to work.

I'm reluctant to install 1PasswordX - installed that for my girlfriend and I just don't like the experience. Much prefer the native app support and keeping as much out of the browser as possible. Provided the non-X extensions are still fully supported - I'd like to proceed with them, if possible.

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@maxamg: Can you tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using? I'm sure we can get you sorted. :)

This discussion has been closed.