Web editing item with mulitple password fields

btaroli
btaroli
Community Member
edited August 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

This seems to be the most applicable forum for my issue, but redirect me if not.

I tapped Edit in a 1Password X item, which opens up the web login to modify the item... which is fine. The issue I ran into is that I was editing the password of the item -- a recently hacked web site -- and I decided to transition my security questions to additional password items. There were two behaviors I noticed.

First, when adding a new item... type the name, oh wait... I can't see the widget to change the field type. OK... type a value. Tab. Oh, there it is. That's fairly minor.

Second, and more concerning... once I changed the type of the item, I tapped the gear icon next to the field to open the generator. Suddenly the generator for the MAIN password opened up and generated a new password. Um, no. No. Worse, I hadn't SAVED the item yet (I was making mulitple edits) so now I've LOST the password I just updated. sigh.

Turned out that this KEPT happening. I was creating items for security questions, of which there were three. But EACH time I opened up the generator it popped me back up to the first one (main password) and changed it. sigh. I was finally able to get it to do what I wanted, but I did have to go through the site's password reset path AFTER I'd already changed my password.

Is there a better way to accomplish something like this in the web UI? I've done this in the iOS app without any headaches at all, so it was a little surprising to have the web UI behave this way.

FWIW, I'm on Linux Firefox 61.0.2.

1Password Version: web
Extension Version: 1.10.1
OS Version: Fedora 28
Sync Type: None

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

@btaroli: Thanks for getting in touch! And I'm sorry for the delay getting back to you.

First, when adding a new item... type the name, oh wait... I can't see the widget to change the field type. OK... type a value. Tab. Oh, there it is. That's fairly minor.

Indeed, this is something we'd like to improve as well. Thanks for bringing it up!

ref: b5/b5#4412

Second, and more concerning... once I changed the type of the item, I tapped the gear icon next to the field to open the generator. Suddenly the generator for the MAIN password opened up and generated a new password. Um, no. No. Worse, I hadn't SAVED the item yet (I was making mulitple edits) so now I've LOST the password I just updated. sigh.

I'm sorry to hear that. However, this either doesn't happen for me at all, or I'm misunderstanding what you're talking about. Can you give me the exact steps? When I click the password generator icon in a custom field I've set to "password" type, the password generator fills in that field. Any additional details -- or screenshots -- would be appreciated!

Regardless, while a website cannot behave the same as a native app, we'll continue working to get the 1Password.com web interface as close to a real app as we can. :)

This discussion has been closed.