As as group manager, I can't see which of my groups have access to a specific vault

pminne
pminne
Community Member

As a group manager, you can see which vaults have been assigned to a specific group, but not the other way around it seems.
In the overview of the vaults, each vault shows the icons of the linked groups, however those icons (usually just the default icon) are a poor group indentifier. Just an "alt" attribute holding the group name would already be a simple improvement.

1Password Version: browser app
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pminne - thanks for the feedback. I'm a little confused, though. You say (correctly) you can see which vaults have been assigned to a specific group, but that's only true if you actually click into the "groups" menu. But in the image above, you can achieve the same thing in the same way -- by clicking the gear icon. That should give you a list of which groups - and which individuals outside of group membership - have rights to the vault. I'll pass along your suggestion of a tooltip/alt attribute, but does what I've just described also solve your issue?

• pminne
    pminne
    Community Member

Hi Lars,
    sorry for the confusion. I took the screenshot as an admin. Group managers however don't see that gear icon.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pminne -- good point, they don't. But if a user is only manager of a specific group and NOT an Admin or Owner, then we'll have to give a little thought to exactly what (s)he should be able to see with regard to other groups that (s)he is not group manager for. However, I like your alt-tag idea. I'll pass that one along to the development team; it's a good idea.

• pminne
    pminne
    Community Member

Initially I'd say as a group manager when looking at a vault, you should only see the assigned groups you manage, not any other groups.

Slightly better could be something like this: "Group A, Group B and 5 other groups" where Group A and Group B are the groups you manage. Then at least you know others may make changes to the vault as well and things haven't mysteriously disappeared.

In the end, if you manage a group that has access to vault, you have some level of responsibility for that vault as well. With that, it may even make sense to see the other groups that also have access, even though you don't manage them.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pminne - you're getting a little peek into the intricacies of what our developers have to consider as they carefully construct layers of permissions and encrypting public keys of one vault or group with the private key of various others. You've raised some good points; we'll definitely think about how we handle group manager permissions (and displays of permissions) in upcoming releases. Thanks so much for stimulating the idea/discussion.

• pminne
    pminne
    Community Member

Thanks for taking it in consideration Lars.
    Final note: this is only about seeing the names of groups that are linked to a vault, relational data which probably doesn't involve any encryption stuff.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

;) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.