1Password for Edge extension can't be activated [Possible issue on RS5 Insider builds only]

Options

Comments

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi folks, let me jump in here as I'm not sure if my issue is related to the issues described here or needs a separate thread:

What I see is that each time I start Edge I get a message that an extension (1pw) had to be reinstalled due to "a problem" and would be needed to be activated again. No matter if I activate it, activate it for inprivate browsing, too or do not active it, the same issue happens launch after launch, after reboot of Windows, too.

As I do not use Edge very often, I'm not sure if this had already been introduced with Win 10 Pro 1803 x64 German (I did a clean install from USB) or after updating to Insider build 171661 (first RS5 build I upgraded to). Currently I'm at 17672 and the issue still appears.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @sniem,

Thanks for reporting this. I've split your post into its own thread as it isn't related to the original thread.

Can you ask Edge to uninstall the 1Password extension, reboot, and then install 1Password extension again from Microsoft Store, does it help at all?

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for your help. I'll do so right now, first I've submitted a problem report to Microsoft via Feedback hub. This is the link: https://aka.ms/AA1e5o0

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I've uninstalled the extension, rebooted, went to MS Store, searched for 1Password, installed from https://microsoft.com/store/productId/9WZDNCRDR64J, started Edge, was asked to activate the extension (as expected as this was the first launch after uninstall), activated it (the symbol appeared beside the address bar as expected), closed Edge, opened Edge, the icon was beside the address bar again, disappeared after four or five seconds, and then the error message was back again as shown in the screenshot in my first post.

Always repro. Do you need any additional log files?

I forgot to mention that I have 1Password 7.0.543 installed.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @sniem,

Thanks for reporting it to Microsoft as well.

Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member
    Options

Done :)

• MikeT
    Options

Thanks, we got your email and will reply to it when we finished analyzing the report.

ref: CIJ-64514-325

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member
    Options

Windows has updated the extension to 7.0.545.0 and the issue still repros.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sniem,

Thank you for keeping us posted! I will make sure to pass it along to Mike. We are investigating this issue and will get back to you via email as soon as possible.

Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member
    Options

Repro with latest Insider build 17677 (Win 10 Pro x64 German)

• MikeT
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi @sniem,

I think is an issue with Insider builds. I can reproduce this problem with standard account on the latest RS5 insider builds but I cannot reproduce it on the stable Windows 10 nor the default admin account on the Insider builds.

We'll investigate and report it with Microsoft.

• mrks
    mrks
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. 17677 (180520-0940).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know. We'll continue tracking this as things progress.

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for your confirmation of the issue. I'm trying to avoid Acrobat Reader atm so it's a bit annoying now to see the error message after each Edge launch now.

The issue still repros with the latest Insiders builds, currently 17682. I'll come back here again when it will appear fixed and update the feedback report mentioned earlier (https://aka.ms/AA1e5o0) for each coming build.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sniem,

Thank you for participating! :+1: We will also post updates here, once we have any news from Microsoft. Thanks again!

Cheers,
    Greg

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

FYI, still repro with the new Windows builds and new 1pw versions: app 7.1.566 Beta and updated 1pw EDGE extension (7.1.565.0) on Insider build 17686

• MikeT
    edited June 2018
    Options

Yep, we're looking into it. It's not clear why it is happening on Windows Insider builds only.

It is possible any fix for this issue won't come for a few months until Insider builds are closer to the stabilization stage of development and more documentations is uploaded to explain any potential changes to how extension are working in RS5 builds.

• edspar
    edspar
    Community Member
    Options

Hi 1Password Team

I know you were looking into it before, but we're moving close to an RS5 release now, and 1Password Edge Extension still appears to be broken.

Any updates on an updated release that will solve this?

Would be great to have it functioning again in Insider builds, and ready for Rs5

The rest of the extensions I was having issues with seem to have stabilized in recent builds.

Keep up the great work!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @edspar,

Until Microsoft clarifies what they've changed for RS5, there's not much we can do. Are the rest of the extensions you're using being updated to fix it or did they change nothing and just being improved by whatever Microsoft changing for Edge in each Insider updates?

The same 1Password extension works fine on stable versions of Windows 10, so we cannot risk that stability until we're closer to the final RS5 release or we get more information from Microsoft. We were supposed to get more information about clipboard history too since we need to find a way to exclude 1Password data from it but so far, nothing yet.

It's too early to confirm anything, we are planning to do another update for 1Password in the Microsoft Store as we're working on a brand new 1Password Brain that our extensions use as mentioned in 1Password 7.2 Beta 1 release.

• edspar
    edspar
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update Mike

Love how responsive you and the 1Password team is, and the effort you guys are putting into Windows and Edge.

I def know how frustrating it can be with Microsoft's pace of change and lack of release notes 🙄

Hopefully you get the information you need soon. I'm going to ping a few of the Edge Dev team on Twitter again too.

• edspar
    edspar
    Community Member
    Options
  • MikeT
    edited July 2018
    Options

Perfect! Thanks, I think we've contacted him before but that could be a different Kyle. Sent him a DM with our contacts info.

• hwieser
    hwieser
    Community Member
    Options

Same behavior on 19H1 (18204). other extensions load fine (ublock, zoom, printfriendly, office) 1pwd does not load and does not show as linked in the desktop app (7.2.574)

• MikeT
    Options

I suspect most of these extensions are not bridged extensions like 1Password, so they may not have the same issues.

We're investigating this now as RS5 (18H2) is going to be released within a few months, so we are aiming to have an update before that.

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member
    Options

18H2 is scheduled for September launch being probably finalized in August.

• MikeT
    Options

Yep, which is why we're going to go into it now with hopes that they don't change anything before that. I hear it is scheduled for October rather than Sept but it won't matter, we want to get it out much sooner than Sept.

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Boom, bang, boom, NOT REPRO ANYMORE WITH YESTERDAY'S BUILD 17741!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sniem: Thank you for reporting this!

We will check it on our side. Hopefully, it won't be broken again in the next build. :) Thanks again!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Yes, I can confirm the same on my side, it is working better on the 17751 build and the new update is scheduled for October. :)

Thank you Microsoft.

This discussion has been closed.