My daughters vault (I am admin of all vaults) can't be accessed as she can't recall the password.

kccaldwells
kccaldwells
Community Member

I have her secret key and login info - just not the password. Is there a way for me to reset her password from my admin account?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:daughter lost password to her vault- I am admin and can access

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

Hi @kccaldwells

XIII here is correct. As a Family Organizer, you have access to recovery tools that can be used in case a member of your family happens to lose access to their account for whatever reason. Take a look over at https://support.1password.com/recovery/ for information on how to do it.

• saetling
    saetling
    Community Member

I have the same problem. I have reviewed the link above but it pertains to Teams. We have a Family account and as far as I can tell, we only have 1 master key. There are just two of us in the account so far and we both used the same startup kit to get setup. I'd like to reset/recover my family member's account but I don't really want to get a new key. Can you explain the recovery process for a family account please?

• @saetling

The linked article applies to both 1Password Families and 1Password Teams. While it is possible to set 1Password up as you’ve described, where each family member uses the same account, doing so would not allow for recovery. Recovery requires at least two accounts:

• The one for which the account details have been lost
    • A separate Family Organizer, which is able to log in to their account, to begin the recovery process for the person who has forgotten or lost their account details

With only one account in the membership recovery will not be possible. Please reach out to our sales team at sales@1password.com if you’re in this situation and ultimately are unable to find/recall your credentials. They’ll be able to help you start over.

Ben

• saetling
    saetling
    Community Member

It is a family account. I have a login my family member has a login. He just forgot his Master Password. But I don't think he has a different Master Key. I think our family account has a Master Key, not the members of the family. Or at least that is the way I have read everything.

• I’m sorry for any confusion but we don’t have anything called a Master Key. To clarify: each person within a 1Password membership will have credentials consisting of:

• An email address (unique)
    • A sign-in address (not unique to the individual, but unique to the family)
    • A Secret Key (mostly unique — the first section will be the same for all family members but the rest is unique)
    • A Master Password (should be unique, but each individual chooses this for themselves so it is possible for multiple people to choose the same)

Are you able to log in to your account within the 1Password Families membership? If so is that account a Family Organizer? If it is you can assist you family member with recovery using the instructions above. If not, unfortunately you will not be able to do so.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.