Open login in a new tab

Options

good day, can someone give me an estimate when this feature is gonna arrive on the windows version? Is it really hard to implement?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019
    Options

@lingg: No. I can't give you an estimate. I don't think it's "hard" necessarily, but there are a lot more things that are a higher priority. For example, we've added a ton of features this year -- a lot of them rather big ones, like local vaults and Watchtower -- and there's only so much we can do at once. And you're probably aware that all of the cool stuff we've added has come with a cost: 1Password isn't as responsive as we'd like it to be anymore, so right now that's our focus. I'll tell the team that you're anxiously awaiting more options for Open & Fill though. Thanks for letting us know. :)

ref: opw/opw#1985

• lingg
    lingg
    Community Member
    Options

thanks, the problem for me: I'm using both mac and windows 50\50, so it is kind of annoying to get my current tab "overwritten" on windows browser.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lingg: Hey, I'm with you on that. I'd really like this feature too, for just that reason. It's pretty easy to open a new tab, but sometimes I forget and it's a pain. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you right now, but it's definitely on our todo list. I just wish that list were shorter. Thanks for your passion for this feature. :)

• lingg
    lingg
    Community Member
    Options

ok thanks a lot. While we are here, can you guide me with another feature request? do you have any special part of the forum? Cause one thing more I really miss is - "Fill from login", like you are on a different site, but you have same credentials and you would like to fill current site from another Login item. I've been using Roboform before -they got it, it is really handy, at least for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lingg: I'm sort of all over the place, but even if I don't know the answer I'm sure I know someone who does. :)

I think I understand what you're asking here, but let me know if I'm way off. It sounds like you want to fill a login for one website -- say amazon.com -- at another one -- like audible.com. Is that correct? We don't have any plans for that, as 1Password is intentionally designed, to protect against phishing scams, to fill login credentials when the URL saved in the login matches the URL for the site you're visiting. We're very unlikely to change that.

However, there are two things that can help. In my example, there's actually a good reason to fill amazon.com credentials at audible.com: Amazon owns Audible. So in that case, I'd recommend saving both URLs in the login item. That way 1Password will see it as a match for both websites. Alternatively, you can explicitly have 1Password fill a password almost anywhere using the "Type in window" feature: right click the login and select that option in the menu. We don't recommend using that to fill login credentials promiscuously, but it can help you if you need to fill a long password into an app or something.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• lingg
    lingg
    Community Member
    Options

yes you are right, sometimes different subdomains using the same credentials, so I dont want to create new same logins there. I just tried the "Type in window", yes this is what I wanted, except the fact I have to touch mouse and do it twice, for username and passowrd. It would be really great to have same feature but for whole form.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lingg,

If you have the same credentials for several URLs, you can add those URLs to your Login item in 1Password. This way 1Password will show your credentials when you visit those different websites. Have you tried to do that? Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lingg: Greg's suggestion is a good one for cases like the one I've described above, but I do want to be clear that we don't recommend adding URLs for multiple websites to login items without carefully considering it first. But certainly there are cases where it's reasonable to do so. :)

I also wanted to mention that "Type in window" is a very basic feature, and we do want to build on that in the future to make filling into apps more powerful and flexible. Thanks for the feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.