How to go back to Android version 6.8?

krasnik43
krasnik43
Community Member

I use 1Password version 1.0.9 for Windows and another 1Password version for my Android phone. I've made the mistake of upgrading my Android to the last version 7 of 1Password. Now If I keep agilekeychain I can't sinc anymore with dropbox if I upgrade to the new format the Windows version can't read it anymore. How can I go back to Android version 6.8 which was running perfectly?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@krasnik43: I'm sorry for the difficulty. It's not possible to install outdated versions from the Google Play store. We introduced the more secure OPVault format many years ago now, and the AgileKeychain format will not be supported going forward. All recent versions of 1Password support OPVault though, so updating will allow you to use it on other devices. If you need help with that, shoot us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID here. Happy to assist in any way I can.

• krasnik43
    krasnik43
    Community Member

I have a 1Password license 1.0.9 for Windows that I'm happy with, one Android phone version 4.4.2 which has 1Password version 6.8 and can not be upgraded to 7.0, and one Android tablet version 7 which now has 1Password version 7 installed and no way to go back to version 6.8. So, I can not use OPVault. I don't want to buy another Android phone and I don't want to buy another 1Password license for Windows. I just want to be able to synchronize my 3 device as I could do it until you broke the compatibility 2 days ago. Please post 1Password version 6.8 on your site because I'm not willing to use a random site to download it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018

@krasnik43: I'm sorry to hear that. It is a bit tricky. Since you've got the old version on your old phone though, would you be able to copy it from there to the other device? We won't be posting individual downloads of !1Password for Android, as that circumvents the only way Android apps' authenticity can be validated: being signed and distributed by the Google Play store. And we can't really recommend using an outdated OS with known insecurities (that have been patched in later versions), but it does sound like you've painted yourself into a corner there. :(

• krasnik43
    krasnik43
    Community Member

I've managed to extract the apk from my old phone. Thanks.

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

@krasnik43 Also you can always go here: [links to illegitimate 3rd party "mirror" sites removed by 1Password team]

Also @brenty You can always have a server with older versions of at least your desktop OSes and Android apks that are verified by you. Thankfully android doesn't force anyone about where u will download apps from. Even further you could also sell licenses through your site and avoid google play 30% + give the ability to devices without play store (like Kindle Fire etc) to install your product

• Hey @jimger. We only guarantee 1Password when downloaded through the Play Store. While it may be available through 3rd parties, I do not recommend installing from anywhere else, as we can't guarantee the authenticity of that app. We may consider distributing through our own site in the future, but for now the Play Store is the only official source.

@krasnik43 I think it would be much better to get you upgraded to the OPVault format, which you can use with 1Password on Windows. Please email me at support+android@1password.com, and I'll be happy to help get things on track.

• wayneconnor
    wayneconnor
    Community Member

My 1password 6 was automatically updated to 7 on my android Google phone. But on my Mac I am running 1 Password 6 so the syncing stopped. Thankfully I found this thread and I have downloaded the Android 6.7.3 from apkmirror. It says the app is from Agilebits.
    Will my passwords be secure with this version?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

My 1password 6 was automatically updated to 7 on my android Google phone. But on my Mac I am running 1 Password 6 so the syncing stopped. Thankfully I found this thread and I have downloaded the Android 6.7.3 from apkmirror.

@wayneconnor: 1Password for Mac version 6 also supports OPVault. There's no need for you to install an outdate version of 1Password for Android from a questionable source. You simply need to setup all of your devices to use the same vault.

It says the app is from Agilebits. Will my passwords be secure with this version?

If you've gotten it from anywhere but the Google Play store, it's neither from us nor officially supported by anyone. I suggest you get it directly from Google if you're concerned about security and authenticity — and if you're using an app like 1Password you probably are.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018

@jimger: I've removed the links to 3rd parties purporting to offer "1Password" downloads. Please don't post them.

Also @brenty You can always have a server with older versions of at least your desktop OSes and Android apks that are verified by you.

I appreciate that you're just trying to be helpful, but us "verifying" what's on our server doesn't help users since they cannot easily verify the code signature of the Android app (as can be done trivially with the Mac and Windows versions). That's what I'm referring to with regard to the Google Play store. It's not useful to treat Android like a desktop OS when it's very different when it comes to security and usability.

• wayneconnor
    wayneconnor
    Community Member

I didn't realise 1 Password 6 could sync with the 1 Password 7 android version. That's super - thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wayneconnor: Sure thing! Most versions of 1Password we've shipped since 2014 or so support OPVault. We just thought it was (past) time we move everyone to that newer format. If you have any other questions about getting things setup, just let me know. :)

This discussion has been closed.