can't get my chrome extension working, am on 1.10.2

it worked to register for the 1password support forum site but no other sites?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.10.2
OS Version: Windows 10 Home
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:chrome extension not working

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gldunn: Thanks for reaching out. Can you give me the URL where you're having trouble, the OS and browser versions you're using, and also the exact steps you're taking when you encounter the issue? There are many sites we haven't seen, and always room for improving 1Password. I'll be happy to look into it to see if there's something we can do to help. :)

• gldunn
    gldunn
    Community Member

thanks Brenty the Chrome extension isn't working at all - is just greyed out, I'm on Windows 10 and Chrome Version 68.0.3440.106 (Official Build) (64-bit). Have removed and reinstalled multiple times - not working on any site - including the 1password support site. Also can't get things working properly on phone or tablet either with the Android version - what else can I tell you to help diagnose?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gldunn: Do you maybe have two 1Password extensions setup in your browser? I can't think of a scenario in which 1Password X would be "greyed out", but that's the extension whose version you've provided. On the other hand, the 1Password desktop extension, which works with the Windows app, will be greyed out if it cannot connect to your browser -- often due to "security" software. Can you tell me which version of 1Password for Windows you're using, and if you have a 1Password.com membership?

• gldunn
    gldunn
    Community Member

Hi I've got the desktop extension installed (4.7.3.90, I do have a 1password.com membership and the desktop version I'm using is 7.2.576

• gldunn
    gldunn
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

Should I try using the other extension instead? I do also have McAfee® WebAdvisor 6.0.0.13089 running

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gldunn: Thanks for letting me know! Indeed, McAfee is known to cause some issues, so it may be worth a try to disable that.

You've mentioned version 1.10.2, which would be 1Password X, as well as 4.7.3.90, which would be the desktop extension, so it does seem that you're using both. That may cause some confusion, so it might be a good idea to pick one and stick with it. If you prefer to use the main 1Password Windows app, the desktop extension (version 4.7.3.90) works with that. This guide will help you get started with it:

Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

Otherwise 1Password X (version 1.10.2) is an extension that works alone in the browser without the Windows app.

Get to know 1Password X

You can use both, but doing so may be confusing since they're different in many ways. So choose the one that suits you best, and let me know if you have any questions along the way. :)

• gldunn
    gldunn
    Community Member

I am definitely using 4.7.3.90 - I did have 1.10.2 previously but lost it when I did an un-install and re-install. Can you send me something that shows the differences between the 2 so I can work out which will work best for me? Also if using 4.7.3.90 do I have to have the app open at the same time for it to work? The main thing I am looking for is password fields to be detected and to self-populate and it is not doing that at the moment

• gldunn
    gldunn
    Community Member

Also does 1PasswordX functionality work the same on the Android version for my phone and tablet?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Also does 1PasswordX functionality work the same on the Android version for my phone and tablet?

@gldunn: Browser extensions do not work on mobile OSes. You'd need to use the Android app there:

Get to know 1Password for Android

I am definitely using 4.7.3.90 - I did have 1.10.2 previously but lost it when I did an un-install and re-install.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. :)

Can you send me something that shows the differences between the 2 so I can work out which will work best for me?

Check out the guides for each, which I linked above.

Also if using 4.7.3.90 do I have to have the app open at the same time for it to work?

You don't have to have the main 1Password window open, but yes 1Password needs to be running for its extension to work.

The main thing I am looking for is password fields to be detected and to self-populate and it is not doing that at the moment

That's not what 1Password does. It only fills when you tell it to. Otherwise it could be squirting sensitive information into websites when you don't want that happening. With the desktop app and extension you can use the keyboard shortcut — Ctrl \ — to fill a login for the current website though. Give it a try. :)

• gldunn
    gldunn
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty - have gone through both guides but is not immediately obvious the differences - what are the big couple of differences that you would pick out? If I just use 1PasswordX then do I need to worry about installing the main application at all? - are there things I can only do in the main app?

• gldunn
    gldunn
    Community Member

You don't have to have the main 1Password window open, but yes 1Password needs to be running for its extension to work.

I wasn't sure what you meant by this? - do you mean I need to have the 1Password extension running for the extension to work, if the main 1Password window isn't open then surely it isn't running?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks Brenty - have gone through both guides but is not immediately obvious the differences - what are the big couple of differences that you would pick out?

@gldunn: A great question. Just not easy to answer, sort of like when the blind men try to describe the elephant. Or maybe nothing like that. I'll do my best! :lol:

If I just use 1PasswordX then do I need to worry about installing the main application at all?

That's a really good one. Indeed, to use 1Password X, you only need two things: the Firefox or Chrome (desktop) web browser, and the 1Password X extension installed in it. Because if that, it will work in a situations where you can't install a Windows/Mac app: Linux, Chrome OS, or just a company computer that's locked down so that you can't install software. Even if you're not in one of those situations, 1Password X is simpler in a lot of ways. Probably not a bad place to start for a lot of people. :)

• are there things I can only do in the main app?

Yes. Some more advanced features like biometrics (Touch ID, Windows Hello), and also being able to use 1Password outside the browser require a native app.

I wasn't sure what you meant by this? - do you mean I need to have the 1Password extension running for the extension to work, if the main 1Password window isn't open then surely it isn't running?

Almost. The main 1Password app, by default, will run in the background even when you close the window (you'll see the 1Password icon in the macOS menu bar or Windows notification area) so that it can still connect to the browser. So long as 1Password is kept running, the desktop extension can be used in the browser.

Getting back to your question at the top, the main difference between 1Password X and the 1Password desktop app/extension combination is that the former is simplified in a lot of ways (click the 1Password icon right on the webpage to save and fill login credentials) and the latter has a greater number of advanced features (more customizable lock settings, accessing 1Password data for use in other apps, etc.) I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• gldunn
    gldunn
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty - that's a big help - I do have 1PX now installed and seems to be working ok

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! Sounds good. And if you have any other questions along the way, just let me know. :chuffed:

• gldunn
    gldunn
    Community Member

Brenty when I try and use the in field password generator I don't seem to have the option to adjust length or composition - so need to manually use the mini-window to regenerate and copy/paste - am I missing something?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gldunn: Correct. The Suggested Password feature uses a set length and composition that's both compatible with most websites and also secure. But indeed, you can use the Password Generator by clicking the 1Password X toolbar button if you need to customize. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.