Yubikey Neo support for 1Password?

2»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty ...well blow me over and call me windswept. When did you sneak that in?

@JamesHenderson: Oh. Hmm... Two or three months ago maybe? It's not been super long, just long enough for me to forget when.

oh hang on; It's only for the first use on a new device though. ...so better than I thought but still not "proper" 2 factor.

How so? Given that there's no authentication involved in using 1Password otherwise (decrypting and accessing data is 100% local), I'm not sure what you mean. A second factor authentication would inherently only be relevant when there is authentication happening, which of course is when you sign into the account.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

by "proper" I mean requiring it every time you access the info in the app itself (PC/Mac or Phone or web account)

• There is a catch 22 with that. You can’t have both that and offline access. Offline access has won the argument, for a lot of good reasons, some of which you can read about here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/445466/#Comment_445466

Ben

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

@Ben that's an interesting read and I appreciate the arguments regarding the local cache - thanks for sharing that link.

J.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

And just to clarify, 1Password's security is based on encryption, not authentication, so it's not as if your data is insecure because you don't have to "phone home" to a server any time you want to access it. Cheers! :)

• ularula
    ularula
    Community Member

Voting for Yubikey NFC support on iPhone + 1Password, like Lastpass!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We don't add features based on "votes", but it is helpful to know that you'd like us to work on that kind of feature. And in case you're not aware, we do already support Yubikey for signing into 1Password.com accounts. Cheers! :)

• bnicholas89
    bnicholas89
    Community Member

Yeah can we get NFC Yubikey support for 1password? That would be nice, I've got no problem entering the password then touching the key to my phone, but having to be at my computer to be able to authenticate the app on my phone???? Silly, would love to utilize one of the selling points of the yubikey.

• Me too. :) Someday perhaps.

Ben

• simonjday
    simonjday
    Community Member

Another vote for Yubikey and NFC support for 1Password IOS.
    I must admit misunderstood the support for Yubikey in the 1Password documentation.
    I access many services via my iOS devices and have been delighted with the keychain replacment functionality.
    1Password iOS app integration with Yubikey via NFC would be the icing on the cake. I really don't want another dongle I will lose!

• @simonjday

I really don't want another dongle I will lose!

I think perhaps you're misunderstanding what is being requested here. I don't believe there is any way 1Password would be able to be a replacement for Yubikey for authenticating via U2F. The whole purpose of U2F is requiring that dongle in order to log in. If you're afraid you'd lose the dongle either don't use U2F or set up a backup dongle. :)

Ben

• simonjday
    simonjday
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

By dongle I meant the USB to Lightning adapter not the Yubikey itself. This is the functionality I'm looking for: https://support.yubico.com/support/solutions/articles/15000006425-using-your-yubikey-with-lastpass

• Gotcha. We are on the same page then. I'm not sure we're convinced at this point that there is a real security benefit to such an arrangement for 1Password (it may make infinite sense for how LastPass's system is designed). That said, it is interesting technology, and we are evaluating if / how it may benefit 1Password customers.

Thanks.

Ben

• simonjday
    simonjday
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

@Ben Thinking about it simplistically. Currently if a user has 2FA set up on a 1Password account the 2nd factor may be an authenticator app on an iOS device. The issue is, that iOS device is also where 1Password client app is installed and where passwords are consumed.
    So being able to present a 2nd factor to that iOS device such as Yubikey using NFC would be useful.

• Thanks for the feedback, @simonjday.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.