invalid master password after android converted vault to opvault format

Options
randaltw
randaltw
Community Member

Hello,

This was also sent to support@1password.com.

I am no longer able open my vault using my master password after android converted from agilekeychain to opvault.

Background: I use 1password on android (newly updated to v7), I use 1password 6 on Mac, and I use 1password 4 on Windows. All were setup to use Dropbox sync. All were working perfectly fine.

This last Sunday (9/2/18), my Android 1password app auto updated to version 7, and I also allowed it to go ahead and convert the vault to opvault format. I will also mention that with the android version, I allow the fingerprint scanner to unlock the vault. Since converting to opvault format, if I enter my master password, it fails to unlock and states invalid password. The only way to unlock the android version is when using the fingerprint scanner. If I go into android 1password preferences and try to change the master password, this also fails saying the previous password is invalid.

Also, if I try to open the opvault format on Mac or Windows, I get the same invalid master password. I had to copy the old agilekeychain out of Dropbox, rename it removing the “legacy” portion of the filename, save a copy of it locally to each Mac and Windows computers, and then I’m able to open them with my master password.

Is there anyway to covert the vault from agilekeychain to opvault manually? I’d like to try to do it again but from either the windows or mac side and see if that has better luck handling my master password.

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stovies
    Stovies
    Community Member
    Options

I also cannot open my 1Password vault after updating the android app on my phone. All advice appreciated. I am completely locked out and the app in Windows 10 and my phone is saying my password is no longer viable.

• Stovies
    Stovies
    Community Member
    Options

I also cannot open my 1Password vault after updating the android app on my phone. All advice appreciated. I am completely locked out and the app in Windows 10 and my phone is saying my password is no longer viable.

• Stovies
    Stovies
    Community Member
    Options

And 1PasswordAnywhere isn't working either. A 'key data file' could not be loaded. What has the android update done to my files?

• Stovies
    Stovies
    Community Member
    Options

I've found a workaround on Windows at least. Duplicate the legacy folder and remove 'legacy' from the title. Then point 1Password4 at that folder. But I still need a fix for android access.

• This discussion was created from comments split from: Can no longer open 1Password client on Windows 10.
  • @Stovies 1Password 7 for Android requires the newer OPVault format instead of the older AgileKeychain format. In order to continue using 1Password on your Android device, you'll need to convert your vault to the newer format. Once you do so, you'll need to update 1Password on your Windows device to sync with the newly created OPVault folder.

There are a number of advantages to switching to the OPVault format. The foremost reason is that it provides enhanced security over that of the AgileKeychain format. Another benefit is that it is a more efficient format when it comes to syncing. If you'd like to read more about the design considerations that went into OPVault, you'll find more detailed information here.

You've correctly noted that OPVault does not include 1PasswordAnywhere. We dropped support for 1PasswordAnywhere back in 2016 and now recommend that people do not use it. Dave and Ben provide excellent explanations of this here and here.

• Stovies
    Stovies
    Community Member
    Options

@mverde Unfortunately, the password for my older (and still working) AgileKeychain doesn't open the newly created OPVault in 1Password 4. Any thoughts on why this is the case would be greatly appreciated.

• Hi @randaltw. That’s very strange your Master Password is not accepted after converting to the OPVault format. I would be happy to take a look at what's going on. Have you already sent us a diagnostic report by email?

You should have received an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down your email and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

• Hi @Stovies. Does your Master Password contain any special characters? Does the Master Password work in 1Password on Android?

• Stovies
    Stovies
    Community Member
    Options

@peri My password only contains ASCII characters. The master password does work on Android now, but it didn't happen in the way I expected. Please let me explain:

1. I use a paid version of 1Password 4 on Windows 10 and the Android app for accessing passwords on the go.
    2. The Android app updated to version 7.0.3 and created a new OPVault in Dropbox and renamed my existing vault to 1Password.legacyagilekeychain. At that moment, neither 1Password 4 or the Android app would open the new OPVault with my existing password. I was therefore locked out of all my passwords!
    3. I discovered that if I renamed my older vault back to 1Password.agilekeychain and pointed 1Password 4 at that folder, I was back in on Windows. Interestingly, the moment I did this, the Android app decided that it could also accept the password and open up my vault on the phone. I have no idea if the Android app is linked at this point to the new or old vault.
    4. What I can confirm is that if I point 1Password 4 at the new OPVault, I can no longer sign in on either Windows or Android. It only works if I'm pointing 1Password 4 at my old vault. Additionally, any changes I make to passwords stored in the old vault from Windows are not reflected in the Android app.
    5. So it appears to me that signing into 1Password 4 on Windows and using my old vault allows the Android app to open the new vault, but obviously there is no syncing taking place between the two vaults.

All advice appreciated. Clearly, I'd simply like to sync the new vault across both platforms.

• randaltw
    randaltw
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks saad,

VBN-56895-839. Michael replied to me last night and I'm in the process of writing back to him right now.

Thanks again.

• osarias7
    osarias7
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

I will second that. I have a galaxy s9 and on my way to a trip over the weekend it asked me to convert the vault. once i did it asked for my password as it reset the fingerprint access. My master password was not accepted and has not been since. I tried to uninstall the app and reinstall, thinking maybe that would help. I have my vault stored in dropbox. I was hoping i was not the only one with the issue and my master password doesn't have terribly complex characters in it. any help? obviously and thankfully, I am not the only one that had an issue.

• randaltw
    randaltw
    Community Member
    Options

Mine is on a galaxy s6, using Dropbox as well. Luckily, my fingerprint access was not reset, and I had previously reconfigured the app so it never self locked, so I am able to use 1password still on my phone. But none of my other installs (some windows10, some Mac, some Ubuntu Linux using Wine) - none can open the opvault format.

It took 2 days before I received a reply from 1password support and we have not gotten far yet with troubleshooting but if/when I get more info I'll post it back here.

The conversion did rename the agilekeychain vault and if you rename it back, you should be able to open that one with your master password as a workaround (for computers). On the phone though you probably can't unless you can downgrade 1password to a version prior to 7.

• osarias7
    osarias7
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

ah, ok. thank you for the reply and new info. It's a shame that it takes the users to help each other out and they do a better job than the reps sometimes. This is not the kind of product that you want to be having these issues with. And i think its funny that they say on their site that if all fails one option is to start all over.... do you know how many passwords i have on your app???? it would take me a long time to just "start all over" smh

• osarias7
    osarias7
    Community Member
    Options

thank god im not the only one. I thought I had lost my mind! hopefully they can help out. I posted on another thread but i just want to add my name to this issue. happened over the weekend when my galaxy s9 asked to convert the vault. once it did the fingerprint option was reset and it asked for my master password which is not longer accepted as correct.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Mine is on a galaxy s6, using Dropbox as well. Luckily, my fingerprint access was not reset, and I had previously reconfigured the app so it never self locked, so I am able to use 1password still on my phone. But none of my other installs (some windows10, some Mac, some Ubuntu Linux using Wine) - none can open the opvault format.

@randaltw: The only version of 1Password for Windows that runs under Wine definitely supports OPVault. Maybe you still have it setup with the old vault and not the new one. Give it a look.

It took 2 days before I received a reply from 1password support and we have not gotten far yet with troubleshooting but if/when I get more info I'll post it back here.

I think the following will do the trick for you, but I will also get back to you via email in case we need more diagnostic information.

The conversion did rename the agilekeychain vault and if you rename it back, you should be able to open that one with your master password as a workaround (for computers). On the phone though you probably can't unless you can downgrade 1password to a version prior to 7.

I'm not sure that's going to be a way forward. The best thing to do would be to change the Master Password for the vault on a device where you have all your data so it is using standard ASCII characters:

Should I use special characters in my Master Password?

Spoiler: the answer is no. These aren't always treated the same across platforms and even using different frameworks on them, so issues like this can arise. But after that you can setup all your other devices with the vault and you should be all set. Either way, we'll get you sorted. :)

ref: VBN-56895-839

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@osarias7: Unfortunately when people forget their Master Passwords, starting over is the only option. I'm not sure what else you'd have us recommend, but we're open to suggestions. :(

I'm sorry that you're having this issue though. If you do know your Master Password, you'll at least be able to access your data on the OS where you created the vault. Please change the Master Password for the vault there so it is using only standard ASCII characters. Other symbols aren't always treated devices and frameworks. But if you setup all your other devices with the vault after that you should be all set. Let me know how it goes.

• osarias7
    osarias7
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty this is not an issue of me not knowing my password. I have an android phone and an iPhone and i have my password on my iOS vault, i was also able to access the vault before saturday when 1password asked me to convert the vault.

I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN MY PASSWORD, I KNOW what my password is. no if's buts or anything else. this is an issue of the app not taking it once the vault was CONVERTED. I am not some idiot how just forgot or mistyped it.

the password was working before saturday, i access both vaults multiple times a day. It asked me to CONVERT the vault and AFTER the conversion, the SAME master password was no longer working.

Im not sure how much more clear I can be about this. You're either not reading that correctly or just dont believe me. either way, its not a great way to be treated. Assume for a second that im not just trying to mess with you and try to help us who are having a problem instead of coming down and making it seem like this is my doing.

what else would i recommend? how about not pushing a crappy update that converted something and now it does not work like it should? how about you try to help resolved the situation without being a jerk to those who are trying to explain what the problem is.

that's what i recommend. but i guess it really doesnt matter to you or you dont believe that what happened is possible.

• osarias7
    osarias7
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty also, just to be clear. I have to vaults, one that I use as primary on my iOS devices and macs.

i have an android phone that is a back up phone for me when i go on trips where i dont want to take my iPhone. that's the galaxy s9 and its a separate small vault that i use for just a few passwords.

these two are completely different. the only issue im having is on the Android phone and that vault. it is only accessed by the android phone and the vault is stored with dropbox.

this vault has nothing to do with my iOS devices. my problem is isolated to one small android vault that is only accessed by that one android phone.

• randaltw
    randaltw
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, @osarias7 is correct. We know our passwords. The android version 7 conversion from agilekeychain to opvault is the trigger that no longer allows us to login to the opvault version.

I've read somewhere that the conversion does not change the master passwords in anyway, doesn't know them, etc. And maybe it is a special character that was previously accepted in the unlocking of agilekeychain vs. opvault. They are all ascii characters in mine I can confirm that, besides the fact that I've been using this product for over a year on multiple platforms and never had an issue with a master password.

The bottom line is this:

1. Saturday - android using Dropbox and agilekeychain works perfectly fine.
    2. Sunday - allowed android to convert Dropbox agilekeychain to Dropbox opvault. That process coded by agile developers thankfully backed up the agilekeychain (by renaming it agilelegacykeychain). So Dropbox contains 2 vaults (agilelegacykeychain and opvault).
    3. The master password correctly opens the backed up agilelegacykeychain. It does not open the opvault.

I don't think I can explain that any clearer?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@randaltw, @osarias7: You both missed what I actually said:

Unfortunately when people forget their Master Passwords, starting over is the only option. I'm not sure what else you'd have us recommend, but we're open to suggestions. :(

Which was in response to osarias7 complaining that we have instructions to start over.

Did either of you try what I suggested? That is, change the Master Password on a device where you can access your data, taking care not to use non-ASCII characters.

I'd also be interested to know, once you've changed it, what special character(s) you'd been using so we can try to narrow down the cause. It's not really possible for me to say much more or look into it without some specifics. :(

• osarias7
    osarias7
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty @randaltw ok, here's an update, i grabbed my old dell and installed 1password 4 on it.

I installed drop box on the dell machine ( i tried to just download copies of the 1password "legacy" folder to my desktop but that did not work)

once i had dropbox installed in windows and it showed as a folder option in my computer i pointed 1password4 to the folder on dropbox

this allowed the vault to be opened with MY PASSWORD...that I DID NOT FORGET... LOL

i did have to copy the folder and rename it. so now in my 1password folder in dropbox i have 3 folders

1Password.agilekeychain
    1Password.legacyagilekeychain
    1Passrword.opvault

the first folder is the one that i copied and pasted and renamed.

please know that i have not done anything different than this, i have spent my morning reading and trying to figure this out and thank god this is not my main phone or vault or i would be loosing it!

my password uses an exclamation point... (!)

i am not sure if you still dont believe me that this is possible, but this is what has worked and to be clear, this vault is now linked to two devices. the android phone that its always been on and the Dell laptop that i just used to install 1password4 on. the vault is backed up on a separate dropbox account that does not hold my iOS vault

in other words, this 1password vault is on a separate device and on a separate dropbox account. this is a "throw away" type set up that i use just in case.

does this help or cause you to have any more questions? Im hoping this does not happen to someone with their primary vault.

it is definitely something that happened just like I explained and i know that's hard for you developers to believe. I'd love to do a video chat or something and show you exactly what's going on.

• osarias7
    osarias7
    Community Member
    Options

@Stovies @peri @mverde I followed your advice and found:

i grabbed my old dell and installed 1password 4 on it.

I installed drop box on the dell machine ( i tried to just download copies of the 1password "legacy" folder to my desktop but that did not work)

once i had dropbox installed in windows and it showed as a folder option in my computer i pointed 1password4 to the folder on dropbox

this allowed the vault to be opened with MY PASSWORD...that I DID NOT FORGET... LOL

i did have to copy the folder and rename it. so now in my 1password folder in dropbox i have 3 folders

1Password.agilekeychain
    1Password.legacyagilekeychain
    1Passrword.opvault

the first folder is the one that i copied and pasted and renamed.

please know that i have not done anything different than this, i have spent my morning reading and trying to figure this out and thank god this is not my main phone or vault or i would be loosing it!

my password uses an exclamation point... (!)

i am not sure if you still dont believe me that this is possible, but this is what has worked and to be clear, this vault is now linked to two devices. the android phone that its always been on and the Dell laptop that i just used to install 1password4 on. the vault is backed up on a separate dropbox account that does not hold my iOS vault

in other words, this 1password vault is on a separate device and on a separate dropbox account. this is a "throw away" type set up that i use just in case.

does this help or cause you to have any more questions? Im hoping this does not happen to someone with their primary vault.

it is definitely something that happened just like I explained and i know that's hard for you developers to believe. I'd love to do a video chat or something and show you exactly what's going on.

so @Stovies is correct in that this works, but i still can't access the vault in android.

• Thanks for the info, @Stovies and @osarias7. Have either of you changed your Master Password from 1Password on Android in the past? Maybe over a year ago? Also, if so, and if you can remember the old Master Password, does that work with the new vault?

Also, if you go to your 1Password.agilekeychain folder and, from there, go to /data/default, do you both see an encryptionKeys.js file?

• Hi @osarias7. Please have a look at my reply to you in the other thread. Thanks!

• Stovies
    Stovies
    Community Member
    Options

@peri My master password has been stable across both Windows and Android for well over a year now. I can also confirm that the encryptionKeys.js file exists in the file path you describe.

• osarias7
    osarias7
    Community Member
    Options

@peri hello

so I changed my password about 3 months or so ago.

I also show the encryptionkeys.js file in that folder

this morning there was an update on my android phone for 1password. after i updated it, it came to the initial setup screen and wanted to know where to look for a vault. i can go to drop box and it automatically looks for a vault and comes to 1password.agilekeychain. when i try to open this vault with my masterpassword it says "unable to convert vault, there was an error converting your vault to the OPvault format. please email our customer support team so that we can help you."

if i point it to the 1password.opvault, it does open with my OLD password. now, this is the folder that was created saturday after it asked me to convert my vault and after which my password no longer worked. So, as of this morning, I was able to open my opvault with my old password. but the weird thing is, yesterday on my windows machine, i was able to use my "new" password with 1password4 and the 1password.agilekeychain vault.

and when i say new password, i mean that one that i changed it to about 3 months ago and has been working find until saturday. so something happened with the passwords and the conversion. it seems like after the conversion, it wanted the password before the current one.

hope this helps, please feel free to ask me anything else if it helps you guys

• Thanks @osarias7. Do you happen to recall whether the Master Password was changed from 1Password for Android or from another device? And just to clarify, the new Master Password isn't accepted on any devices when syncing the OPVault?

@Stovies had you changed your Master Password longer than a year ago? If so, do you recall your old one, and can you unlock the vault with it?

• osarias7
    osarias7
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

@peri the master password was changed from the android phone, which at the time was the only device using that vault.

the new password was not tried in any other devices because there were no other devices accessing that vault, that vault existed only on dropbox and accessed by one android phone.

now, yesterday, I downloaded 1password 4 on a windows machine and copied the legacy folder and renamed it, this was in dropbox, then used 1password4 to access the vault and opened it with the NEW password. so the new password worked on the windows machine, but today on android only the OLD password opened the opvault. (when i tried to open the legacy vault today on my android, it gave me an error that it could not convert the vault and would not let me access it)

to me it seems like when the vault was converted, it somehow brought over the old password to the opvault file when accessed via my android phone. but somehow, i was able to access the legacy vault with my new password on the windows machine. so the password change happened and took since the new password opens the vault in windows, but when accessing the converted opvault on my android phone, only the old password works.

• osarias7
    osarias7
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

so, the password was changed from my android phone, which at the time was the only device that accessed that vault. that vault exist only on dropbox and accessed only via one android phone.

i was not able to use new password on any other devices since until yesterday there was only one android phone accessing that vault. yesterday i used a windows machine to download 1password4 and access the legacy folder and vault and it was the NEW password that opened the vault.

so what i think happened is that when the vault was converted to opvault on my android phone, it brought over the old password. but i know the password change happened and took since i have been using the new password for some time and yesterday when accessing the vault from the windows machine, it was the NEW password that opened it. But, when accessing the opvault on my android phone this morning, it was the OLD password that unlocked it.

This discussion has been closed.