Thoughts on Chrome's new Password manager?

aniforprez
aniforprez
Community Member
edited September 2018 in Lounge

What are 1Password contributors' thoughts on the new revamped password in Chrome 69? There is now a password generator in addition to storing passwords and it supports autofilling but no 2FA support yet (which I highly doubt is coming). I've personally never used Chrome's password storage feature because I just never trusted my data with them since I have no idea how secure it is.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aniforprez: I think it's good that Google is making these kinds of improvements. A lot of people use their browser's password management feature, even if they don't know it. So this can help folks.

However, not only can there be security and privacy issues with that, but you're right to point out that a lot of this is opaque, and not really interoperable or controllable by the user. So for folks using 1Password, we always recommend disabling it:

https://support.1password.com/disable-browser-password-manager/

Apart from the security and privacy concerns (having information filled into websites without user action is risky, and that's why it's not something we've ever had 1Password do), but frankly it's not easy to manage that stuff. But the good thing to come out of this may be people using more unique passwords. If they don't know how to get data out of there when they need to, that could hurt them down the road though. So I think education and better usability would do a lot more good long-term.

This discussion has been closed.