Does 1Password X work with multiple accounts

I see I can add multiple accounts to 1Passsword X but does it work? Although I can add the the second account always seems to say locked and searching for items does not seem to be including items in the second account. I could get allot more specific with screen shots if needed.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Does 1Password X work with multiple accounts

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vamp07: It sounds like you've just chosen to use multiple Master Passwords. 1Password X unlocks each account based on the Master Password you enter, so you'd need to enter your second (third, etc.) Master Password to unlock the corresponding account. Does that help? :)

• vamp07
    vamp07
    Community Member

Ok. But what does entering the master password mean? In setting it shows up as locked. I click on the name of the account and log in but 1Passwortd X still shows it as locked even after a am logged into the account.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vamp07: Rather than a meaning, when you enter the Master Password this is used to decrypt your data. But it cannot decrypt data that was encrypted using a different Master Password. So you have two options:

a. Enter your other Master Password when you want to unlock that account.

b. Use the same Master Password for both accounts, so they unlock together.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• vamp07
    vamp07
    Community Member

I need those two accounts to have different passwords. This really need to be addressed at some point for muti-account "1Password X" to be of much use to those of us that manage multiple accounts.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018

It's totally your call if you want to have different Master Passwords. It just means that 1Password X can't decrypt data in both accounts — which I'd imagine is the point of having them be different. A lot of people are using 1Password X expressly because it works this way. I'm not sure it's something we'll change, but we'll take your feedback into account along with everyone else's. Thanks for taking the time to let us know your preference!

• vamp07
    vamp07
    Community Member

Brenty,

Why bother having data in different accounts if the passwords are not going to be different. I understand that the security key enters in this equation but in my case I use 1password with several clients where I help them manage their accounts in their own 1password accounts. I would have to get all these different users wanting to use the same master password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Why bother having data in different accounts if the passwords are not going to be different.

@vamp07: I don't think I can answer that for everyone. But personally, I pay for one and the company pays for another. If I leave the company, I lose that account and the company data associate with it, but I still have my family account and its data. For me, that makes sense, and a lot of other people seem to agree. Your mileage may vary though. :)

I understand that the security key enters in this equation but in my case I use 1password with several clients where I help them manage their accounts in their own 1password accounts. I would have to get all these different users wanting to use the same master password.

If you mean you're sharing accounts and Master Passwords with these people, that's certainly your prerogative but not how 1Password is designed to be used or something we recommend. 1Password Business and Teams make it easy to invite people as guests or full team members so they can still share vaults with you but have their own account so you're not sharing your Master Password.

This discussion has been closed.