To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Upgrading a family account to 1p7 with Dropbox syncing

Options
stinogle
stinogle
Community Member

Hello,

I'm a longtime 1Pass user, who has a family account that my wife and I both sync over our separate Dropbox accounts. I recently upgraded to 1p7 on my Android device, and that went great. When trying to update my mac app to 7, however, I'm prompted for a setup code, or my 1password membership details. Some questions on this:

1. Do I need to change over to a 1password membership, or can I keep syncing over Dropbox with our family license?
  2. If so, how do I do that on the mac app and upgrade to 1p7?
  3. Will Dropbox syncing without the 1Pass membership still work with the Android and iOS apps?
  4. Will support for Dropbox syncing with my family app be continued, or will I eventually be unable to upgrade?
  5. Are there any discounts for longtime 1Pass users with the new membership services?

I'm basically trying to gather what the best next step is for our 1Pass setup, as we use it heavily for everything on Mac, iOS, and Android.

Thanks for the great product!
Rob

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stinogle: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account on the Mac for some reason, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault. That will help, but I'll address your specific questions below as well:

1) Do I need to change over to a 1password membership, or can I keep syncing over Dropbox with our family license?

1Password 7 works with Dropbox, but it's a separate purchase. You can either buy a license for each person you needs to use the new Mac app, or it get for all of them (along with the rest of the apps and a lot more) as part of a 1Password Families membership.

2) If so, how do I do that on the mac app and upgrade to 1p7?

If you just want to purchase each "a la carte", you can do so right within the app after you install it.

3) Will Dropbox syncing without the 1Pass membership still work with the Android and iOS apps?

Dropbox is completely separate from 1Password.com, but either will allow you to keep your data in sync between devices. The latter is just simpler, and more cost-effective, especially with a family.

4) Will support for Dropbox syncing with my family app be continued, or will I eventually be unable to upgrade?

I don't know. All of our new 1Password releases support Dropbox, and frankly we're not even thinking about another major release yet. We just finished shipping all of them and are focused on updates with improvements for each.

5) Are there any discounts for longtime 1Pass users with the new membership services?

We've offered a launch special for version 7. You can find pricing in the announcements detailing what's new:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

Otherwise, if you're thinking about a 1Password Families membership instead, shoot us an email at sales@1password.com and we'll see what we can do to help you — and your loved ones — make the transition. Just post the Support ID you receive here and we can take a look and figure out what will be the best option for you.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.