I can't figure out how to get family members into their own apps on iOS.

Options
allanwhite
allanwhite
Community Member

Very long-time 1P user here, and I can't tell you how frustrating this has been. The multi-user features are very confusing.

1. Set up 1P family account.
  2. Inviting the family.
  3. Invitation goes out via email, they tap, I confirm it on my end.
  4. When I have them open the next email, they log into the WEB client with their email address.
  5. They get in. I see the DESKTOP web view with a "download emergency kit". It's a phone, not a desktop. Are they supposed to scan this code in?
  6. Open their new 1P app on iOS.
  7. Presented with a 1P Family account login or scan. When I scan it, it sets up the master account, not my family members. They see everything, it's clear that it's not the child/spouse, but the main account.
  8. I don't see any options or info that indicates it's a family member account.

What am I missing? The user journey after the email lands in the family member's inbox is simply not clear, at least to this admin. >:(

Thanks for your hard work, appreciate the help.

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: iOS latest
Sync Type: 1P
Referrer: forum-search:inviting 1password family what login

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@allanwhite: First of all, thanks for being a long-time user. I can only imagine that's because you've had mostly good experiences with it over the years, but I'm sorry that you've hit a bit of a rough patch here. Happy to help you sort things out!

5) They get in. I see the DESKTOP web view with a "download emergency kit". It's a phone, not a desktop. Are they supposed to scan this code in?

That's definitely an issue we're aware of, and would like to find a solution to. There just isn't an easy way to save the Emergency Kit on mobile devices. It's best to do that on a computer. However, it's often easier in that case to simply print it from the mobile device, and then store it somewhere secure, like a safe deposit box, for an emergency. BUT if you're the family Organizer, you can also help them recover their account if they get locked out. So while the Emergency Kit is still very good to keep, it isn't the only option.

7) Presented with a 1P Family account login or scan. When I scan it, it sets up the master account, not my family members. They see everything, it's clear that it's not the child/spouse, but the main account.

I'm not sure I understand how you're getting to this point. It sounds like some steps (or details) are missing. The only way they'd end up with your account is if they've scanned your Setup Code or entered your Secret Key, etc. by hand. I think this may be the key:

When I scan it, it sets up the master account

That really sounds like what you're doing is scanning your account's QR code. You didn't mention them going through the account setup process for their own account, in which they'd create their own Master Password, and then get their own unique, randomly-generated Secret Key. They will need to use those to setup their devices with their own account. If they're using your account info, it will result in them being signed into yours.

So, as far as next steps, make sure they've completed the account setup process. If they have, they'll have received an email similar to this:

Welcome to 1Password!
    Take your shoes off and stay a while.
    You’re all signed up! Now’s a great time to get the apps while you wait for your administrator to approve your account.

If you've signed them into your account in the apps, you'll need to sign them out of that account so they can sign into their own instead. That should do the trick, but if you have any questions at all along the way let me know. :)

• allanwhite
    allanwhite
    Community Member
    Options

Ah! I didn't realize the "emergency kit" was unique to each user - I think I assumed there was one [global] one that was the same. I'll give that a try.

If it's not there already (I could have missed it, on a small screen), putting a clear title on the user EK step ("This is the E kit for _____") would be useful.

I would imagine, the dominant paradigm going forward, is that people will not have access to a desktop by default. It's also probably a lot to ask of kids, to figure those steps out.

Thanks for the response, will try again this evening.

• putting a clear title on the user EK step ("This is the E kit for _____") would be useful.

That is an interesting idea. We do have the user’s email address on it, but I could see this possibly clearing up some confusion. I’ll mention it to the team.

It's also probably a lot to ask of kids, to figure those steps out.

My experience has been that anything like this tends to be more intuitive to kids than adults, but that is purely anecdotal.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.