Migrating OSX vault to Private Team vault

Bassman
Bassman
Community Member

I am a newbie to the 'new' 1Password paradigm, so please bear with me....

I have had the standalone app on my Mac for several years (version 6.8.8). The App doesn't require an account - I simply stored my Vault locally.
I recently joined a Team (as secondary Admin). I had to create a 1Password account to do so.
I want to import my Mac Vault into my Team account. 2 Questions:

1. Can I import the local (Mac) vault into the Private Vault within my Team account?
  2. When the Team disbands, what happens to my account and my Private Vault? At this point, the account only exists to enable me to become a Team member. I'm worried that leaving the Team will delete my Private data.
  3. Put another way: is it best to keep my personal Vault in the app and never import it into my Team/Private vault?

thanks in advance!

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.0
OS Version: OSX 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AdamP
    AdamP
    Community Member

Hi @Bassman,

I also use 1Password for Teams and I think I can answer this.

1. Can I import the local (Mac) vault into the Private Vault within my Team account?

Yes. After you sign into the new Teams account, your local data will be listed as a Primary vault. Open that vault to view the items, select one, multiple by ⌘-clicking each, or all items with ⌘-A, then right-click, choose Share, and then the vault you want to move or copy to (it should display both options). There's a support article with details and pictures here.

1. When the Team disbands, what happens to my account and my Private Vault?

My understanding is that if your account is suspended by another administrator, your items would still exist indefinitely, but you wouldn't be able to access them until and unless your account was reactivated. If the account is deleted, they would be gone. If the subscription lapsed, all accounts go into frozen status, meaning you can't add anything new, and you can't use the apps to autofill, but the data remains indefinitely. Finally, if the entire Team account was deleted, everyone would lose everything in all 1Password vaults, without the possibility of recovery. This would not affect any local vaults, unless data was moved out of them.

1. Put another way: is it best to keep my personal Vault in the app and never import it into my Team/Private vault?

This really depends on your specific situation. Your 1Password for Teams Private vault is yours alone and no one else on the team can access those items without your Secret Key and Master Password. But if you are concerned about losing access to items there, you should probably take the appropriate precautions. If it were me, I would probably at the very least be keeping a copy of any items I knew I needed in a local vault.

Hope this helps,

Adam

• Good info, @AdamP. :)

I would not typically recommend storing personal data in an account that is being paid for by a company. If you'd like for folks who are associated with your company to be able to use 1Password for their personal data I'd recommend 1Password Business, which includes a 1Password Families membership for each person on the membership. If you're interested in discussing that further please reach out to our business team at business@1password.com.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• AdamP
    AdamP
    Community Member

As a customer, I am definitely in agreement with @Ben here. I am the administrator for a 1Password Team at work, but I have a 1Password Families account that I use for personal data, and I keep the two very much separate (i.e. none of my personal stuff ever goes into my Teams account, and vice versa). I have no way of knowing how much purchasing power or influence you have, but 1Password Business would tick both those boxes for you at no personal cost for the Families membership.

In this case, from conversations I myself have had with the 1Password support team about upgrading our team to 1Password Business, my understanding is that your Families account, which is completely separate, would remain active but frozen if you left the team (similar to one of the scenarios above, except now for your Families account). You'd then be responsible to pick up the tab if you wanted to keep using the full-featured product for yourself, but your data would remain in frozen status indefinitely until you purchased the membership or deleted the account.

Since you've already have a standalone license for your Mac and use Dropbox, you're covered to continue going the way you are for personal use, in case 1Password Business isn't an option for your team. That said, for me personally, I couldn't live without the membership. I use it on every device I have and I have my entire family on it. If you don't need it for anyone else, there's a personal membership option which is a bit cheaper. Just some food for thought. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AdamP: Keep in mind that as an administrator for 1Password Teams, you can remove others from the team. So we always recommend using the Private vault there for work-related stuff that would no longer be needed if and when the company removes that person. Certainly some companies may be less strict and give a person some leeway so they can get stuff out of their account if needed, much like cleaning out your office; but I'm not sure that's something any of us should count on.

In this case, from conversations I myself have had with the 1Password support team about upgrading our team to 1Password Business, my understanding is that your Families account, which is completely separate, would remain active but frozen if you left the team (similar to one of the scenarios above, except now for your Families account). You'd then be responsible to pick up the tab if you wanted to keep using the full-featured product for yourself, but your data would remain in frozen status indefinitely until you purchased the membership or deleted the account.

@Bassman: AdamP is absolutely right about this: the 1Password Families account would simply have billing canceled by the company, but would remain completely intact so you can setup billing yourself. Cheers! :)

• Bassman
    Bassman
    Community Member

thank you all! this very helpful.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! We're here if you need us. :chuffed:

• Bassman
    Bassman
    Community Member
    edited September 2018