Ability to quickly search and auto-fill password from other websites

Options

Hey 1Password,

So far I'm loving the service and Chrome extension. Thanks for all your hard work.

I was wondering if it's possible when auto-filling a login to search for any password, not only a password set for the current website? This has come up quite a few times for me when filling out my login on a 3rd party site. For example, say I'm adding a new account on mint.com filling out my username/password for my bank account. The chrome pop-up will only allow me to fill my mint.com login, but it would be very helpful to be able to search for my bank info in the pop-up to auto-fill in the current selection, rather than needing to copy/paste my username/password from the chrome dock menu item. An example of this would be a "search other" option when hitting the "..." in the Fill Login dropdown.

I did a search on the forum and wasn't able to find this request, but if this already exists, please point me to that topic.

Thanks for the help!

Jonah

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.10.2
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jro619: Thanks for getting in touch! It's definitely come up before. We don't have any plans to have any version of 1Password offer to fill login credentials from one site into another. 1Password is very intentionally designed to not allow that because that would make it super easy for people to fall prey to phishing scams. Nobody needs 1Password's help being unsafe online. We can all be insecure for free, after all! You can, if you wish, search for logins in the 1Password menu and copy and paste credentials into the wrong website, but that's not something 1Password is going to do for you, probably ever.

Mint is a good example, for two reasons: you only need to sign into an external account once, so it isn't terribly inconvenient to copy and paste if you've decided you want to do that; and it's also atypical in that greater than 90% of the time you absolutely don't want your Chase account's login credentials filled anywhere but chase.com, full stop.

And frankly if 1Password worked the way you're suggesting, and allowed promiscuous filling, even if we still defaulted to matches for the current URL, when someone visited paypa1.com (thats a number one) and, without noticing, expected to fill their paypal.com login credentials there, they'd likely just assume we had a bug, blame 1Password, and then proceed to give their PayPal account credentials away to who-knows-who anyway. Maybe not everyone, but enough people use 1Password that a change like that would have negative consequences for thousands of people at the very least, and that's not something we could live with.

I hope that makes sense, even if you perhaps disagree for your particular use case. But if you have any questions at all let me know. :)

This discussion has been closed.