After logging into 1Password X, browser window opens

Options

This is a newer issue. I'll log into X from the toolbar and after logging in, 1Password X is opening another window to the 1Password Sign In (https://jtbsmb.1password.com/signin). Why is this happening?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.8.2
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Mitch
    Options

Do you have two-factor authentication or Duo enabled on your 1Password account by any chance? You'll be redirected to 1Password.com if you need to re-authenticate after a set period of time (configurable for Duo).

• jefftb
    jefftb
    Community Member
    Options

I do have two-factor (but not in Duo). But, I never actually login when the window pops up and my 2-fact auth (authy) doesn't prompt, yet 1PasswordX works. In short, 1PasswordX is not needing me to 2-factor authentic to work -- even though it is opening the window.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jefftb: Make sure you're updated to 1Password X version 1.9.0, and see if that makes a difference. I suspect not, but better to verify. Can you tell me which browser version you're using, and if you have private browsing, clearing data, or other extensions which might be involved?

• jamtur01
    jamtur01
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue - Google Chrome on Ubuntu 18.04 (Version 68.0.3440.106 (Official Build) (64-bit)) with 1PasswordX version 1.9.0.

• Mitch
    Options

Hi everyone,

Please share any errors in your background console logs from 1Password X:

1. Go to chrome://extensions/
    2. Turn on Developer mode in the top right
    3. In the card for "1Password X - Password Manager" click the "background page" link
    4. Click the Console tab and copy/paste any angry red errors (unless they're about message ports). :)

Thanks!

Mitch

• jamtur01
    jamtur01
    Community Member
    Options
  • Thank you for the logs, @jamtur01! They were very helpful. Here's the most interesting piece of those logs:

Please authenticate with MFA

So Mitch was on the right track with his previous reply. It looks like you have MFA enabled and something happened that caused 1Password X to need to re-authenticate with the server. This could be caused by resetting MFA, changing your Secret Key or email address, or somehow having your MFA token removed from local storage (perhaps resetting your browser cache or something similar).

Simply logging in on 1Password.com should be enough to get things fixed up. Ideally we'd show a nice message there to make it clear that MFA needs to be updated, but for now logging on should be enough to get you rolling.

Please give it a go and let us know how it turns out.

++dave;

• tqu
    tqu
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same Problem with 1PX 1.13.2 on Chrome 72.0.3626.77 on Mac.
    Except that this new tab opens every time I unlock 1PX, even if I signed in to the Web Version a minute ago.
    How can I fix this, because it's annoying – other than turning off 2FA (I'm using the Authenticator App as second factor).

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi @tqu, does the issue persist if you remove and then re-add the extension? I'm wondering if it got stuck in a loop for some reason. If it's still an issue, I'd like to ask you for background logs, as Mitch previously requested:

Please share any errors in your background console logs from 1Password X:

1. Go to chrome://extensions/
    2. Turn on Developer mode in the top right
    3. In the card for "1Password X - Password Manager" click the "background page" link
    4. Click the Console tab and copy/paste any angry red errors (unless they're about message ports). :)

• tqu
    tqu
    Community Member
    Options

Ha, thanks @ag_sebastian reinstalling the extension solved the problem. And it also solved the problem that on each unlock it requested me to go to the website and re-do my 2FA.

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news, @tqu! :)

And it also solved the problem that on each unlock it requested me to go to the website and re-do my 2FA.

Yikes, that doesn't sound like a great experience. >_< Let us know if you stumble upon any further issues.

This discussion has been closed.