To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Do not remember Secret Key

ubi
ubi
Community Member

I tried to create a new account and the email was taken so I guess I did this long time ago and I didn't remember.

I do not know my secret key (if I have any)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ubi
    ubi
    Community Member

I found some key under Accounts tab on the Settings but I can't copy paste it.

Also, I am guessing that if I lose this I lost access to my the cloud then?!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ubi: Thanks for reaching out. Did you maybe purchase a license, and not have an account at all? It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault.

However, if you do have a 1Password.com account, there are a number of places you can get your Secret Key:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

Either way, if you'll let me know where you've been using 1Password, I'll do my best to point you in the right direction. :)

• ubi
    ubi
    Community Member

I found that I can actually hover over and copy the Secret Key.

Should I save this key?

I want to use the cloud but I am scared that if I lose any of these things will no way to recover my passwords.

Also, how do I move my passwords over to 1Password Cloud Storage instead of Dropbox for example.

• @ubi

Should I save this key?

Yes, absolutely. I'd recommend saving it in the form of printing your Emergency Kit and storing it in a safe spot (such as a fire safe or bank safe deposit box).

Get to know your Emergency Kit | 1Password

Also, how do I move my passwords over to 1Password Cloud Storage instead of Dropbox for example.

Instructions on that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Ben

• ubi
    ubi
    Community Member

What would be the consequences of me losing that key? Do I lose my data without any way to get it back?

• Yes.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The only exception being that if you are part of a family or team account, another admin there could help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

If that doesn't help though, you will need to start over.

• ubi
    ubi
    Community Member

Well folks, I just moved all my password to the Cloud. The scariest thing is that if I lose my credentials for whatever reason I will freak out. Hopefully I dont lose my paper either.

• You can print multiple copies. :) Plus each device you sign into your membership on will maintain a copy of your Secret Key.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.