Reinstall browser; 1PW is asking for my password. My *masterpassword*??

It's been a long time since I had to do this. I got trapped into having to install Firefox again and my extensions got messed up so I had to start over. When I use my desktop preferences to ask to install the extension, 1PW is asking me for my password. Surely it cannot mean I should enter my master password over the Internet. But I chose not to set up a vault and I don't think I have an online account. Meanwhile, apparently a new Windows version has sneaked in behind my back and I'm not sure what I should be doing about that!

Also meanwhile, I've installed Opera as a stopgap and it's not letting me install the extension at all.

Oh help and bother! I hate technology!!

-G.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: none at the moment
OS Version: Windows 7 64-bit
Sync Type: none
Referrer: forum-search:Enter my master password online?

Comments

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

I resolved this with some chicanery. First I knuckled under and did enter my master pw (reluctantly) to enable the extension. Which wouldn't install of course. The extension was already installed in IE so I installed Opera specifically to install the 1PW extension. Then moved the XPI to a safe place, copied it to the FF window and promptly uninstalled Opera again. That may be browser abuse! Anyway, it worked and, after a reboot, the extension is working fine and this thread would be marked CLOSED if you did that sort of thing. Anyway, it's solved!!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gorham,

I moved your thread to 1Password 4 for Windows topic, I hope you don't mind. :)

First of all, I am glad to hear you are all set now. Secondly, I would recommend you to check if you have a second version of 1Password 7 installed. If you do, please uninstall it to avoid any further confusion.

Additionally, there is a known issue with 1Password extension download in Firefox. Do you happen to have any type of AV/anti-malware software on your PC? Please confirm.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

I do have ESET NOD32 AV - have done for years! Also Malwarebytes. Again, for a long time. I didn't do anything to them as I "tricked" 1PW by using the Opera XPI. Does this help the cause?

-G.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gorham: I wonder if we're not on the same page. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Also, what are the exact steps you're taking that get you into that state? Thanks in advance!

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

Hi. Sorry; I probably muddied the waters quite a lot. My original issue was that I apparently needed to enter my precious master password to log in as a "singleton". I finally decided that must have been what I did before and so I trusted the encryption and entered it and I successfully logged in. Then when I tried to enable the 1PW extension in Firefox Quantum (damn its hide!), I got the connection failure message and followed your instructions on copy/paste of the XPI file to Firefox and it worked fine - and still does. The bit about trickery was because I couldn't seem to uninstall reinstall on Internet Explorer so I installed Opera specifically so I could install 1PW and grab the XPI file. Then I uninstalled Opera because I prefer not to use it. I guess I was thinking it might have helped if there was a direct download of the XPI but I'm sure you've already thought of that and I probably should just have let you know I no longer had a problem without complicating it with the steps I too. My bad. :|

I'd be happy to take a screenshot but I'm not at all sure what you want me to snag.

Bottom line is all is well at this end.

-G.

• Ah, thanks for writing that up. I'm glad everything is working well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

And in case it helps anyone else in the future, our desktop extensions are available in the following places:

https://1password.com/browsers/

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPX4

Cheers! :)

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

Super! Now if I can only remember where I bookmarked that. 8-)

• :smile: Almost always never where you wanted them to be.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

Hi Mike. Nice to see your smiling face after too long. Well not too long support wise but .... You know!

And, yup, you look absolutely everywhere - but where the bookmarks actually are. Glad I'm not the only one.

-G.

• MikeT
    edited September 2018

Hi @gorham, nice to see you too.

The funny thing is, I use Pinboard to collect my bookmarks but I also use the built-in reading list/bookmark for Safari, Firefox (Pocket), and other services like Feedly (RSS).

If only there was one app that could've help me. In case anyone reading this and not realize it, we used to offer this product (AllBookmarks) so many years ago that hooks up several browsers' bookmarks into one list.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

Hmmm. Hadn't heard of Pinboard but I'll check it out. The slogan "Social Bookmarking for Introverts" appeals. Meanwhile, you use pocket in FF Quantum? I hadn't thought of that either. I will try. There are several very annoying (to me) things about this new and "improved" Firefox. Bookmarks and tabs are major among them. The deal breaker for me, until I accidentally did upgrade, was the gmailthis extension. Ah well. We adapt. I'll check out your methods. Thanks much for them.

I'll try to stay on topic. Sometime.

-G.

• Yea, I like Pinboard because it also keeps an archival copy of my bookmarks as they sometime get deleted on the website.

This discussion has been closed.