iOS 12 AutoFill stops working after every use, requires re-launching 1Password app

michaelyork
michaelyork
Community Member

Hi folks – surprised this hasn't been reported yet as it seems like a showstopper bug for iOS 12 AutoFill integration. Must be an issue somehow specific to my device / account. Happening on the latest iOS beta builds (including the one released just this morning).

A quick summary of the bug:
iOS 12 AutoFill integration stops working after almost every use/fill, until 1Password app is manually launched again and it re-syncs the credential list with the iOS 12 AutoFill API. "Stops working" meaning iOS stops suggesting specific credentials to fill in (just shows generic "Passwords" shortcut on keyboard) until 1Password is re-launched.

Is this bug reproducible?
Yes.

Which devices did this bug appear on and is it reproducible on any devices and/or computers?
iPhone X running latest iOS 12 build (16A5366a). Have not attempted other devices.

Detailed, step-by-step list on how to reproduce it:

• Launch Safari webpage with login form.
  • Tap suggested credential on iOS keyboard.
  • Note that nothing happens and suggested credentials disappear. No Face ID scan, nothing.
  • Tap around form fields, notice suggested credentials do not return.
  • Launch 1Password app manually, let it re-sync the credential list with iOS.
  • Return to Safari form, suggested credential is present again.
  • Tap suggested credential, Face ID scan occurs, form is filled in correctly.

Versions of 1Password you're using on the devices and computers involved:
1Password iOS 7.2 beta (70200006)

Happy to provide a screen recording of the bug if it's helpful, but would prefer to send direct to 1Password staff given the sensitive content. Hope this is helpful, thanks!

1Password Version: 7.2 (70200006)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12 (16A5366a)
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• Hi @michaelyork,

Thanks for reporting this. We're having trouble reproducing the issue you're seeing.

When you reach the point in your steps where the system doesn't present anything in the QuickType bar, can you still access your AutoFill items by tapping Passwords > 1Password... ? You should be presented with your matching items after unlocking the app. Is that still working properly?

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member

Yep, that part still works fine. But from that point on, the keyboard will never directly suggest credentials again until 1Password is re-launched and syncs with iOS.

• @michaelyork

Interesting. It sounds like iOS might be dropping the list of credentials we send to them. We re-populate the list on app-launch which is why you see them come back.

As we aren't able to reproduce this, I wonder if you wouldn't mind restarting your phone, just to see if that knocks something back into place?

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member

Have done so to no avail. Have also completely uninstalled and reinstalled the app from TestFlight. Issue still occurs.

And yes, you’re absolutely right. When I hit the suggested credential and nothing happens, it’s pretty clear that credential list gets nuked.

Would a screen recording be helpful? iOS console logs?

• @michaelyork,

Did you try turning AutoFill off and on again in the Settings.app ?

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member

@rudy – yep, I have done that as well a few times.

I submitted a post here with Console logs that show the error (iOS being unable to access a SQLite db that seems to hold the identity list). Looks like it's awaiting moderation, but might give you a hint as to what's wrong. Also filed Radar with Apple a few min ago as it seems it might be an issue with the API.

• rudy
    edited September 2018

@michaelyork,

It looks like its trying to open an Identities database, possibly inside the 1Password sandbox and failing because the file isn't there. That's certainly weird, as we're kicking off our populating of the identities credential store as soon as you unlock the main application.

are you currently in the non-functional state? can you get yourself back into that state and then generate a diagnostics report in 1Password (settings -> advanced -> diagnostics -> send diagnostics) and send it to support+roo@1password.com?

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member

@rudy Just sent.

Also – I completely erased the iPhone, restored it from iCloud backup, reinstalled 7.2 beta, and the same thing started happening immediately. Unless there's something problematic persisting in the iCloud backup, this might actually be a 1Password issue.

• Tetryl91
    Tetryl91
    Community Member

Having the same issue, on both iPhone 6S and iPad 6th gen. Latest iOS 12 public beta, 1PW 7.2 (70200006). Restarted device, uninstalled 1PW and reinstalled from TestFlight, set up autofill again, and didn’t fix it.

I’m not 100% sure (sorry), but I think this started happening around the release of 70200005. Can send a diagnostic report if you need another one.

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member

I'm seeing the relevant errors in Console as well. That database file seems to disappear after each suggested AutoFill use.

error   07:37:07.667423 -0700   CredentialProviderExtensionHelper   errors encountered while discovering extensions: Error Domain=PlugInKit Code=13 "query cancelled" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=query cancelled}
    error   07:37:07.683980 -0700   CredentialProviderExtensionHelper   errors encountered while discovering extensions: Error Domain=PlugInKit Code=13 "query cancelled" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=query cancelled}
    error   07:37:07.684658 -0700   CredentialProviderExtensionHelper   cannot open file at line 42249 of [95fbac39ba]
    error   07:37:07.684723 -0700   CredentialProviderExtensionHelper   os_unix.c:42249: (2) open(/private/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/31FF668D-3F34-4D42-B5A7-16B0808C71BA/SystemData/com.apple.AuthenticationServices/Identities/Identities.db) - No such file or directory
    error   07:37:07.685735 -0700   CredentialProviderExtensionHelper   Failed to open database at <private>. Error: Error Domain=com.apple.Safari.SQLite Code=14 "unable to open database file"
    error   07:37:07.685786 -0700   CredentialProviderExtensionHelper   Failed to open credential identities database with error 1
    default 07:37:07.685839 -0700   CredentialProviderExtensionHelper   The identity store database could not be opened

• @michaelyork,

Looks like the moderator approved the post.

I do have some ideas here, but I'm not sure they'll make the cut for the 7.2 release.

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member

@rudy Awesome. I'm happy to test any special builds independently if it's of use to you. That said, I'd hate to see the current build hit the App Store with a bug like this. :(

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member

@rudy Have spent a couple hours on a downgraded build via TestFlight (70200002) and haven’t had any issues. Perhaps something broke between that build and the latest ones.

• Tetryl91
    Tetryl91
    Community Member

Reinstalled some older builds and can confirm that I only run into this issue on 70200005 and newer. Currently using 70200003 on my phone and tablet and autofilling works as expected.

• Hi all. Thanks for the reports here. We were able to track this one down and fix it. Expect a new build today you can use to verify this. Cheers!

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member

Amazing! Just installed 70200010 and so far so good. Will post here if I run into issues again.

• mujtaba_mir
    mujtaba_mir
    Community Member

So far so good on the RC. Working as expected. Nice to see the auto fill settings as separate option in the menu.

• Tetryl91
    Tetryl91
    Community Member

All’s good on the latest build.

• 🎉 Thanks everyone!

This discussion has been closed.