Moving from 1Password6 to 7: UI issues

timdiggins
timdiggins
Community Member

Hi there

have been a 1password user/fan for many versions. 1Password 7 looks snazzy and has some nice features, but I can't seem to do something usual with it.

I have some servers/domains for which I have a lot of matches (e.g. localhost). typically in iPassword 6 and before I just typed to search and got a list of server/domain-matching ("Fill") and non-matching ("Open and fill") entries. However when I try to do this in 1Password7 I just get a search results, with no match. to break it down more thoroughly:

step 1: When I go to a (e.g.) localhost server login and press 1Password -- then I see a long list of "Localhost passwords" under "Suggested items".

step2: I start typing (.e.g test) to match the name of a known user for this particular server and I expect to see the list of Localhost passwords reduce to just those that match both the server (localhost) and the typed item (test). However instead I see a list of all logins matching just the typed item (test) and ignoring the server.

Is there a way to get this in 1Password7 or am I missing something ?

many thanks

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.3.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• timdiggins
    timdiggins
    Community Member

Also, when filling in items, it no longer seems to auto-submit. Perhaps there was a "read me first for updaters" that I didn't spot?

• timdiggins
    timdiggins
    Community Member

Hmm, also when filling in two-part (username on one view, password on next) login forms, it doesn't seem to autofill there either. Hmmm. Less joy at this upgrade than most.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@timdiggins: Thanks for getting in touch! I'm sorry for the delay getting back to you, but I'll be happy to help.

step 1: When I go to a (e.g.) localhost server login and press 1Password -- then I see a long list of "Localhost passwords" under "Suggested items".

Yep! That's expected: Suggested Items is shown by default to give you a quick list of usable items for the current webpage when you open 1Password mini in your browser.

step2: I start typing (.e.g test) to match the name of a known user for this particular server and I expect to see the list of Localhost passwords reduce to just those that match both the server (localhost) and the typed item (test). However instead I see a list of all logins matching just the typed item (test) and ignoring the server.

Also expected, but I get where you're coming from. When you type in the "Search 1Password" box, that's meant to search everything there (or you can switch to an individual vault), not narrow down Suggested Items. I can see how what you're trying to do would be useful to some people, but it doesn't really come up. Something we can consider for future versions though.

Also, when filling in items, it no longer seems to auto-submit. Perhaps there was a "read me first for updaters" that I didn't spot?

You'll need to enable it in Preferences > Browsers to install the autosubmit script...but this will be going away in the near future as it will no longer be permitted for apps to use scripts to send keystrokes like this. It's all well and good for 1Password, but malware can do that do now so I appreciate why it has to end. 1Password, however, makes an effort to place focus on the password field after filling, so in most cases you can simply press Return to submit the form.

Hmm, also when filling in two-part (username on one view, password on next) login forms, it doesn't seem to autofill there either. Hmmm. Less joy at this upgrade than most.

To be clear, 1Password does not "autofill"; it only takes action when you tell it to. So if you want it to fill on two pages, you will need to use the mouse our keyboard shortcut — ⌘ \ — to have it do so.

I hope this helps. But please be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• timdiggins
    timdiggins
    Community Member

hi @brenty

sorry for long delay -- I just don't have much time to respond.

In your response I'm not sure if you picked up on the fact that my concern is as an upgrader.

I've been using 1password since 1.3 (2008) and I've generally been delighted with upgrades -- I recommend it to all my friends. I decided to make the jump to 1password 7 and thought I'd look into the Teams edition for my company. The reality is that 1password 7 despite the beautify new graphcis and underlying tech really broke my workflow and made the process of using it undelightful. I'm hesitating on upgrading/subscribing because of that. I've let me teams demo expire and I'm feeling a bit sad and grumpy.

I can understand that some of the changes are coming from browser based changes (not allowing certain keystrokes from extensions) but I'm really surprised that https://support.1password.com/explore/whats-new-mac/ doesn't make any mention of this.

I wrote:

And you replied:

Also expected, but I get where you're coming from. When you type in the "Search 1Password" box, that's meant to search everything there (or you can switch to an individual vault), not narrow down Suggested Items. I can see how what you're trying to do would be useful to some people, but it doesn't really come up. Something we can consider for future versions though.

But what I wrote (and what i expected) is my experience of 1password 6 (and several previous versions). I'd like to understand what I'm getting for losing that functionality and how I can deal with this for my workflow -- my 1password database is filled with many sites and mnay of these sites having many logins. So I want to e.g. narrowing down many sites x many login email addresses to a single entry with search. This was trivial and immediate in 1Password 6. Seems impossible in 1password 7.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@timdiggins: No worries. Thanks for getting back to me. Indeed, and I'm sorry that you haven't been delighted with everything about 1Password 7. But I think maybe we're not talking about the same thing. While you can always type into the search box to find what you want, that applies to everything in the selected vault view ("Search 1Password"). No version of 1Password has had a contextual-search-narrowing feature like (I think) you're describing. We haven't changed the way that search or login matching work in version 7. So I suspect that there's some misunderstanding here. Can you clarify?

• timdiggins
    timdiggins
    Community Member

Yes will do -- If I uninstall 1Password7 and reinstall 1Password6 will the browser extension work with 1password6 (mini) again? or do I need to do any extra actions (uninstall / reinstall browser extensions)? (I need to refresh my memory how exactly it worked -- plus would be great to have a working 1password again)

• timdiggins
    timdiggins
    Community Member

BTW I think that the difference between 1Password 6 and 7 is that in 6(mini) the passwords/logins that matched the current URL were at the top in a separate list and would fill the form. The other ones would open (and fill) in a new tab.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@timdiggins -

...would be great to have a working 1password again.

If 1Password 7 isn't working, it should be, and we're happy to work with you until it is. But if that's just a different way of saying "working exactly as I want it to, like it did in a previous version," then we can't in good conscience recommend you revert to a legacy version of 1Password. Version 6 is still recent enough that there aren't a great deal of changes/inconsistencies...yet...and macOS is still on the same major version it was when 1Password 6 for Mac was the current version. Very soon that will no longer be the case, however, and as time passes the likelihood of inconsistencies with older versions of 1Password and newer versions of macOS and related software will increase.

That said, we can't actually stop anyone from using older versions, only warn them that it's not recommended. And yes, the current version of the 1Password extension for Safari will work with 1Password 6 for Mac. You will want to make sure you've uninstalled 1Password 7 for Mac before attempting to run 1Password 6 for Mac, or there will likely be issues there or at least the possibility for confusion.

• timdiggins
    timdiggins
    Community Member

@brenty - no I agree I can't stay on 1password6 for ever... but if i can work out what I was doing in it then we should be able to work out how to do that in 1password7. (just I haven't got a working 1password 7 cause I haven't purchase my upgrade yet...)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@timdiggins - ah, OK: understood. :) :+1:

• timdiggins
    timdiggins
    Community Member

@brenty @Lars Here's me logging in to twitter -- for which I have lots of (mostly out of date!) logins stored. I type in "team" and in 1password6 mini I can clearly see which one is the only one to go match both twitter.com and "team". How can I achieve the same effect (keyboard navigation of current site passwords) in 1password 7? (Maybe it's the loss of "mini" which is the problem here).
    I can provide more details and screen recording if you want

1password 6

step 1

1password6 step1

step 2

1password6 step2

1password 7

step 1

1password7 step1

step 2

1password7 step2

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@timdiggins - one of the issues here is that we switched to a completely new "brain" for filling logic with 1Password 7 for Mac, and so it doesn't always work identically to the previous version. For this particular issue you're seeing, a fix has been deployed in beta already. If you're willing to give that a go, you can check the "include beta builds" box in Preferences > Updates and see whether that addresses the issue for you. If you'd prefer not to live out on the bleeding edge, wait until the next stable channel update. :)

• timdiggins
    timdiggins
    Community Member

@Lars I'm pretty happy if you think this needs a fix (I can wait for a fix!) but will try out the bleeding edge temporarily to see what it's like. (I was most disturbed by the idea that this wasn't a problem).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@timdiggins -- If I were you, I'd actually wait. 7.2 includes a schema change, which will make it difficult to switch back and forth between beta and stable. If you're planning to switch back, I'd skip the beta build and wait for the fix to come out in stable.

This discussion has been closed.