1password won't open after new install

Options

Hi, I had to upgrade my computer and re-download 1password6. It kept asking me for an account, which I don't have. I have a license for 6 and I was having issues finding a place to enter it so I used the web address to enter the license. It did not appear to accept the license at that time. After a restart it showed my vault was available but both the app and the firefox extension stopped opening. I uninstalled 1password and it continues asking me for an account with no option to add a license and 1password will now only work for a few minutes and then won't open at all. How do I get the license entered without an account and why won't the app work continuously?

1Password Version: 6.8.534
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi @Anrebel1,

Thanks for writing in.

It sounds like you were using 1Password 4, not 1Password 6. 1Password 6 did not support licenses, it was only available for 1Password.com accounts, that's why you only see it when installing 1Password 6.

1Password 7 support standalone vaults and licenses but if you didn't recalling buying a new license in the last few months, it is likely you have a license for 1Password 4.

You can find 1Password 4 on the bottom right here: https://1Password.com/downloads/ or click here to download it. You'll have to uninstall 1Password 6/7 before you install 1Password 4.

After installing 1Password 4, be sure to reboot and then see if 1Password 4 works properly now for you. If you'll like to upgrade to 1Password 4, this article will help.

• anrebel1
    anrebel1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. When I had downloaded 1password4 originally I couldn't get the firefox extension to work. The 1password 4 license was a mac + family bundle for mac & windows that was later upgraded for 6 with free updated under that purchase. Is there not a way to get 6 back with the free update I had previously? Secondly, I have now re-downloaded 1password 4 and have the extension for firefox but the icon is greyed out and won't let me use it, even after a restart. I have tried removing the extension and adding it again but it still is not working.

• Hi @anrebel1,

That's due to Native Messaging not being the default protocol in the older 1Password 4 version, 1Password extension for Firefox requires it.

Open 1Password 4, go to the Help Menu > Advanced and select Use Native Messaging protocol. Then go to the Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper and then restart Firefox, see if 1Password works.

• anrebel1
    anrebel1
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, that worked. Regarding the upgrade to 6 via the license that was upgraded previously, is there not a way to utilize that?

• Hi @anrebel1,

No. In the first few versions of 1Password 6.x, we added a basic read-only support for standalone vaults to help with migrating the data to the 1Password memberships, it was not designed to be used full time because it can't update it (no write support) and didn't support attachments/custom icons.

When we later added the ability to import the vaults with attachments into 1Password accounts, we removed the option to open the standalone vaults until we could implement the full support for it in the 1Password 7.0 update.

You can open your standalone vaults in 1Password 7 as read-only but you need a new license to update your data.

• anrebel1
    anrebel1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for all of your help!

• You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.