passwords don't fill on android

2»

Comments

• slantyyz
    slantyyz
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

I've been having similar issues to the other posters here. I have a Samsung Galaxy A5. When I first got the phone last year, 1PW for Android worked perfectly with the 1PW keyboard and fingerprint reader. Some time later, everything stopped working. The keyboard wouldn't populate password fields after authenticating, and the Autofill popover is pretty much useless. I was able to temporarily get it to work after I found that one of Samsung's apps took over one of the accessibility settings from 1PW (without my permission no less).

I don't know whether it's because of Samsung's mods to Android (would not be surprised, I have all sorts of problems since going with Samsung after using Motorola for several years), Android itself or 1PW. FWIW, with respect to the saving on Mac comments above, I use 1PW on Windows only. Having to constantly open 1PW, authenticate, search for a PW, switch apps and paste is an exercise in patience, let me tell you.

-- update, my support id is: #SCH-98851-711

• peri
    edited May 2019

@slantyyz Thanks for reaching out! We'll take a look at your support ticket and get back to you soon!

ref: SCH-98851-711

• slantyyz
    slantyyz
    Community Member

I found the root cause for the problem I've been experiencing, and here's a summary in case it might help others.

If you're having problems under this specific scenario:

1. Your phone has a home button fingerprint reader just below the touch screen
    2. When you tap autofill, you are are prompted to authenticate your fingerprint
    3. The authentication screen disappears when you put your finger on the reader and you are then back to square one

My fingerprint reader is quite close to the screen and I registered my print at the center of my thumb, which usually results in the tip of my thumb touching the screen when it is on the fingerprint reader, causing the entire operation to cancel.

Make sure no part of your finger is touching the screen while reading your fingerprint. Touching any part of the background on that screen "cancels" the fingerprint reading, preventing 1 Password from getting to the next step of authenticating your fingerprint.

If I'm not mistaken, this is a standard behaviour with Android itself, and not necessarily the fault of 1Password. I'm not an Android developer, so I don't know if there's an easy fix to this available to 1PW's developers (i.e., overriding Android's default user interface behaviour).

In a nutshell, your easiest workarounds are:

• Be more careful with your finger placement when authenticating
    • Switch to a different authentication method like using the PIN code
    • Re-register your fingerprint to the tip of your finger in your Android security settings so that it doesn't touch the screen when authenticating (this may mean having to re-register your new fingerprint in other fingerprint-ready apps like your banking apps)
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

My fingerprint reader is quite close to the screen and I registered my print at the center of my thumb, which usually results in the tip of my thumb touching the screen when it is on the fingerprint reader

@slantyyz: Ohhh

Yknow what, not that you mention it, that's happened to me too occasionally, and I never made that connection.

Indeed, while it's really cool to have so much variety in Android hardware, one drawback is that there's no good way for the OS to account for these differences in hardware to avoid weird edge cases like this.

Anyway, thank you so much for the detailed followup. I'm sure those tips can help others too!

• slantyyz
    slantyyz
    Community Member

Indeed, while it's really cool to have so much variety in Android hardware, one drawback is that there's no good way for the OS to account for these differences in hardware to avoid weird edge cases like this.

Do you know if you can force that "Unlock 1Password" screen to be modal? That would definitely fix the problem for me.

For example, if you're using an Android PopupWindow class, setting the option setOutsideTouchable = false could fix it. (I'm not an Android developer, I just googled to see if there was anything that could be done). https://developer.android.com/reference/android/widget/PopupWindow

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member

Sadly, that's not the issue for me. My fingerprint scanner is on the rear of my Pixel 2. I've sent @mverde two log-ins and he's indicated he can see what's going on but needs to try and figure it out.

• Yes, I can confirm that the issue experienced by @Asyd Rayn is unrelated to screen touches canceling the Autofill session.

@slantyyz thanks for the follow-up in explaining why you were encountering this issue. Although we're not using PopupWindow in this case, we may be able to make some changes to improve usability here.

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member

On a related topic, now that it works, I have an issue with it. Posted to a new thread.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• TechAddict
    TechAddict
    Community Member

I've noticed this numerous times, had always put it down to sites somehow preventing autofill. I'm using an S7 Edge with Android 8 and 1PW 7.

• I've replied to your comment in the other thread you posted it in. Let's keep the conversation going there.

This discussion has been closed.