iOS 12 Required for Final Release?

BrokenHope
BrokenHope
Community Member

I noticed that 1Password 7.2 requires iOS 12 on TestFlight, is that going to be the case when released to the public?

I can imagine you're going to have a lot of complaints about you forcing people to upgrade to iOS 12.

I won't be one of those people though as I intend to upgrade to the GM release when it drops tomorrow :p

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @BrokenHope,

Yes, 7.2 and going forward will require iOS 12.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BrokenHope: Apple's iOS Autofill feature (at least the one that's available to 3rd party apps — iOS 11 has Autofill for iCloud Keychain) is only in iOS 12 and therefore requires that to work. These APIs do not exist in older versions of iOS. Additionally, all devices running iOS 11 can upgrade to iOS 12. No one is "forced" to upgrade, but not doing so means you give up a lot more than the latest version of 1Password with new features; security fixes only happen in the latest OS. So for us, makers of an app that people use to be more secure, and whose most popular functionality is tied to new iOS APIs, it's a no brainer for us to follow Apple's lead here with regard to compatibility. Those who choose to run older versions of iOS can still use the last supported version of 1Password there, but it's not something we have or will ever recommend.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BrokenHope: I don't know why you're saying "no" to this, but I'll try to offer some additional clarity: iOS 12 autofill requires iOS 12. I did not say that all apps that support autofill must require iOS 12, but in order for that feature to work iOS 12 is required.

It seems simplest if all users who can run 1Password for iOS 7.2 can also use autofill. And it's certainly best — according to us and the platform owner, Apple — if everyone is on the latest OS. It's not a situation where you can't upgrade to 1Password 7.2 because your device can't run it; if you can run 1Password 7 at all and therefore iOS 11, iOS 12 is a free and recommended update. Again, "forced" is pretty absurd. But as with everything, if you don't update, you don't get the new stuff, in 1Password, iOS, or otherwise.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yes but 1Password 7.2 has other fixes included in addition to iOS 12 Autofill support, my question is simply why have you increased the minimum required version of iOS required if you can still support iOS 12 Autofill and still have the rest of your app work on iOS 11?

@BrokenHope: That's not what you asked, but I'm happy to answer the question! :lol: Setting a minimum required version, period, allows us to target specific APIs, devices, and OS release, which simplifies development, testing, and support. In this case in particular, it means we can use all of Apple's latest stuff without having to hedge our bets and have a bunch of checks and fallbacks to bail out of calls that would be unsupported on older device/OS versions and cause crashes that we'd have to deal with, and account for all of these in order to present users with alternatives, or, at the very least, useful error messages. It means fewer incompatibilities, edge cases, and bugs that need to be weeded out. And it means less confusion from users who read what's new, update, and then can't find and use those features — and of course fewer frustrated support queries. 1Password for iOS version 7.2 will require iOS 12 because that's going to give the best experience no matter what, and frankly we'd much rather spend our time and energy making 1Password better and helping folks who need our assistance than explaining over and over again why some features work but others don't. This way, everyone who can install it can use it to its fullest, not end up disappointed.

There are plenty of users that like to wait a week or so before updating to a major OS update, maybe they have a banking app that isn’t working properly on iOS 12, my Barclaycard app crashes fairly regularly on iOS 12 for example.

Totally! And if and when you're ready to update, you can also update 1Password and other apps that require iOS 12.

Apple isn’t going to stop signing iOS 11 on Monday so to say that Apple aren’t supporting it and are requiring everyone to update to iOS 12 is simply untrue.

Jeez. That's why I didn't say that. Please read what I wrote. Come on now! ;)

This discussion has been closed.