Able to login with no internet connection!!

Options

Hi,
From my Chrome web browser extension, I am able to login into my 1Password account and see all saved usernames and passwords, when I have no internet connection! How that could be possible to login if the internet is not available? 1Password is supposed to never save decrypted data to disk, right? Then how come I am able to access all my data after entering my master code in an offline machine? Am I missing something?

1Password Version: 7.2.576
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @hd_ali,

Thanks for writing in.

First, your 1Password data is always encrypted at rest, which means no decrypted data is written to disk but an encrypted version of that data is stored on disk. What 1Password doesn't do is decrypt your data outside of your local device, meaning it cannot be decrypted in the cloud and it does not "stream" decrypted data.

Your 1Password data must always be downloaded first in encrypted form and then when it ask for your master password, it'll temproraily decrypt it in the device's memory. Once 1Password locks, that data is reset. In other words, your 1Password data is supposed to be accessible without Internet connection, it does not require internet until it is time to sync.

If you're using 1Password X extension, the encrypted data is stored in the extension's local database stored on disk.

• hd_ali
    hd_ali
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT
    Thanks for your reply and explanation.

• You're welcome and if you have any more questions, we'd be happy to answer them.

• geopick
    geopick
    Community Member
    Options

Suppose I lose internet connectivity for a week. I realize that this proposal means I could not use 1Password to login to web accounts since I would not be on the Web, but I want to understand how this works. Will 1Password continue to work properly if I need to access info in my vaults during the outage?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @geopick,

When you use the 1Password apps, your data will always be cached locally on your devices, so you can view and edit it without an Internet connection. Any changes you make will become available on your other devices when you next go online.

Let me know if it answers your question. Thanks!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.