MetaMask autofill is not working

MetaMask is a browser addon that allows interaction with the Ethereum network without a full node running. The login page in question appears either in a box when the MetaMask addon icon is clicked, or on a new tab as a moz-extension:// page, which is opened by clicking a button on the top right (which is not there when not logged in for some reason). I tried to add the extension page as a login with the extension link and a password to 1Password. When on the login page, the 1Password browser addon does recognize a match, however, clicking it does nothing and closes the menu. If the login is clicked on the 1Password addon when on another page, nothing happens and the menu is closed. If the moz-extension:// link is clicked on the desktop application, a Windows prompt for an unknown extension ("You'll need a new app to open this moz-extension") appears and the only option is "Look for an app in the Store" which yields no results. The only way to fill the page with 1Password is going to the moz-extension:// page, clicking the password input, right clicking the login in the 1Password addon and choosing the page under the password dropdown menu.

I understand this might be an issue with Windows file association but I would appreciate any help nonetheless.

1Password Version: 7.2.576
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10, Firefox 62.0
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@doguozkan: Sorry for the confusion. Firefox doesn't extensions to interact with its settings, including for other extensions. So the only way to fill there is using the 1Password for Windows "Type in window" feature, as you described.

• doguozkan
    doguozkan
    Community Member

I see, I didn't realize "Type in window" was a feature of the Windows application and not the extension. Thanks for clarifying.

• Hello @doguozkan,

The companion extension doesn't actually have any UI (User Interface) at all beyond the button in the browser toolbar and the entry in the contextual menu. Everything is instead provided by the native 1Password application which is why the menu can look different depending on the version of 1Password and operating system. The normal filling mechanisms rely on part of the extension being injected into the web page to allow both page analysis and to action the commands sent from 1Password so if for any reason the page doesn't allow it the extension is effectively neutralised. In Windows we have auto-type and on Mac we have the ability to drag and drop fields. In both cases it's the native 1Password application making use of certain features specific to that operating system. The primary motivation is filling in non-browser applications but as you've found there can sometimes be occasions where it's useful in a browser as well.

This discussion has been closed.