Master password not working after iOS 12 upgrade

waynerobinson
waynerobinson
Community Member

Since updating to iOS 12 on both my iPhone X and iPad Pro 10.5" my master password no longer works.

It just keeps saying "Please try again"

I have no problem using that same password on my Mac.

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2018

Hi @waynerobinson

Do you have a Primary vault on the Mac? Do you recall there being one on the iOS devices? Are you able to log in at https://my.1password.com/ ?

Ben

• waynerobinson
    waynerobinson
    Community Member

I can login fine on the Mac.

My primary vault is my 1Password.com account.

I just deleted the app off my iPad and when I reinstalled (which now has v 7.2 listed), it detected my existing account and that one worked fine.

Since that worked, I'm also going to do the same on my iPhone, but as a heads-up, there might be an upgrade issue for users using 7.1.1 when they move to iOS 12.

• waynerobinson
    waynerobinson
    Community Member

I can also confirm that just updating to 7.2 (on my iPhone X) ends up with the same issue with the master password.

But again, on this other device, deleting and reinstalling (and connecting to the existing 1Password.com account) worked.

• ChristopherKiehl
    ChristopherKiehl
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

I am having the same issue on both iOS and Mac, running newest versions. Except that neither the Mac nor the iPhoneX will accept my master password. I am also being told at my my.1password site that my master password, which I have not changed and which was working for me until today, is incorrect.

• If you have a vault called “Primary” that is a standalone vault and the Master Password of that vault will be required to unlock 1Password (but that is not necessarily the Master Password for your 1Password account which you’d use at https://my.1password.com ).

Ben

• ChristopherKiehl
    ChristopherKiehl
    Community Member

My only vault is my family 1password.com account. I do not have a standalone vault. The master password, which I have used since creating the account, worked yesterday, and have never changed, is no longer recognized on any of my apps or at my.1password.com.

• @ChristopherKiehl

I’m sorry for the trouble but I don’t see how updating to iOS 12 could have anything at all to do with that. Please write in to us at support+forum@1password.com from the email address associated with your account and we’ll investigate further. When you email in you’ll get a support ID. Please post that ID here so we can follow up. Thanks!

Ben

• ChristopherKiehl
    ChristopherKiehl
    Community Member

Already done. Support id is [#KNF-31256-554]

• Thanks.

Ben

ref: KNF-31256-554

• waynerobinson
    waynerobinson
    Community Member

I can confirm, literally the only cause of this was updating to iOS 12. It was working fine just before updating and then not after the update.

• @waynerobinson

Thanks for the report. For anyone else experiencing this (where the only change has been updating to iOS 12 and iOS is the only affected platform): please try restarting your device.

Ben

• waynerobinson
    waynerobinson
    Community Member

Restarting was the first thing I tried before resorting to more extreme measures.

• dtarr
    dtarr
    Community Member

Ben,
    I updated to iOS12 and my Master Password no longer works on my mac or online. i have restarted my iOS device and that made no difference. I have copied and pasted the correct Master Password onto my Mac. That did not work as well. Yes, this does not make any sense but 1Pass has not worked since my update to iOS. Very weird.

• dtarr
    dtarr
    Community Member

Ben- go it sorted out...Not an iOS issue after all...just tired.

• Thanks for the update @dtarr. Glad to hear that is all it was. :)

Ben

• nsinger
    nsinger
    Community Member

I have a similar problem. Everything works perfectly on my Mac. After the upgrade to ios12 my master password no longer works on my phone. If I type the main password for my account (as opposed to the master password). 1Password opens on the phone. I deleted the app and reinstalled,It worked once or twice with the master password and then reverted back to the main account password. I notice that after typing the account password the app first opens as empty and then immediately loads all of my passwords. (within 2 seconds). How can I fix this. The main password is too difficult for a phone.

• Hi @nsinger

The way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    3. If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• nsinger
    nsinger
    Community Member

Ben,

Thank you. I have a family account but I assumed that the primary vault on my phone would just need the vault password and not the account password. I don’t understand from your description why I am suddenly triggering the need for the account password unless the vault is not staying on my phone. (If this is the issue, how would I fix it so my vault stays on the phone?). Regards

• @nsinger

We don't typically recommend using a Primary vault in combination with 1Password membership (for exactly this reason). What is the purpose of the Primary vault for you at this point? Is there a reason the contents of the Primary vault could not be moved to the Personal vault in 1Password Families, and then delete the Primary vault? That would normally be the recommended course of action:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.