To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can't add license from 6 to 7 upgrade?

Options
mwsbeach
mwsbeach
Community Member

Hi - I just rebuilt my windows 10 machine and had to reinstall my 1password. Had been using 6 (originally bought 4) under a family license and only saw 7 to download. Data converted to new system on sync with dropbox, but i can't get my license to take even when i point the read only process to the file for the license? Please help.....Stuck with converted data and a read only file and multiple machines hing up as a result....

1Password Version: 7 from 6
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90 in chrome
OS Version: windows 10 home
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:I just rebuilt my windows computer and had to reinstall 1password

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mwsbeach! 1Password 7 for Windows is a paid upgrade from previous versions of our Windows app, so your 1Password 4 license will not work with 1Password 7. To upgrade, you'll either need to switch to a 1Password account (the way I'd recommend you do it, since it's easier to use and sync, includes some wonderful new features, and gives you all our apps at one price!) or purchase a license for 1Password 7 for Windows.

Let me know if I can help you upgrade, and you can find more info on the upgrade to 1Password 7 for Windows just here on our support site: https://support.1password.com/upgrade-windows/

• mwsbeach
    mwsbeach
    Community Member
    Options

Can I downgrade back to 6 in the meantime?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mwsbeach - version 6 of 1Password for Windows only worked if you had a 1password.com membership, there was no standalone (local) vault access, meaning that if you were syncing via Dropbox, you weren't using version 6. All of our updates/versions are available at our updates server, but we can't recommend people continue to use retired, legacy versions of 1Password, for security reasons. If you need a version that won't incur an additional charge and will work with standalone data, you'll need to download 1Password 4 for Windows.

• mwsbeach
    mwsbeach
    Community Member
    Options

So I upgraded my lifetime membership to a monthly.....how does the sync work? Was previously doing it over dropbox, does the data now reside on 1password servers and sync that way? Can't see where I ask it to sync in setup, and I have two vaults now, just uncheck the original vault and use membership logged in vault? I miss the days and getting someone on the phone......

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mwsbeach - yep! In a 1password.com membership/account, sync is handled by the 1password.com servers. We (still) have mad love for both Dropbox and iCloud -- they were our first 3rd party services that allowed us to give users the ability to sync their data via "the cloud" without having to be in the same room at the same time on the same network. But we always knew we could provide a much more robust and stable service by creating our own sync service that was purpose-built for your 1Password data. iCloud and Dropbox are great at what they do, but by definition, they have to try syncing everything you throw in them, from snapshots of last weekend's barbecue to your Excel spreadsheets to snippets of code to random recipes in text files. And we only get the API calls they allow us to have. 1password.com doesn't have that limitation, and neither we nor you need to worry about the reliability or up-time of a third-party service we can't control.

With 1password.com, you sign into your account in each app on each device you want to use, and that's it. Sync happens automatically in the background, without you having to set it up or fuss with it. If you have two vaults, and one of them is Primary and the other is Personal, then if you're sure all your data transferred into your 1password.com account/vault, you can visit Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the vault marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." This will remove your previous standalone Primary vault, leaving you running just your 1password.com vault.

Let us know if you have any further questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.