Extension not Taking Focus in Chrome

Options
SpidersFromMars
SpidersFromMars
Community Member
edited September 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi! I recently installed 1Password 7 after having used 1Password 4 for several years, and I've noticed a bunch of feature/UI regression (I'll try to keep them to separate posts). The first one is an issue with the browser extension for Chrome.

With 1Password 7, the Chrome extension rarely takes focus when the icon is clicked, leading to entering the master password or login searches into the address/search bar, as well as the escape key not closing the extension popup. It never had this problem when 1Password 4 was being used. Usually after a browser restart, it will take focus for the first few times the extension icon is clicked, but after a while, it no longer does. There have been other posts about this, but all the ones that I found were marked as closed even though there was no resolution.

Edit: One way that I can get this to happen semi-consistently is to click on the new tab button, click on the 1Password extension button, then click in the address bar while the 1Password extension window is still up, and close the new tab. Usually, upon opening a new tab after that, 1Password no longer consistently takes focus when the extension icon is clicked. This isn't usually something that I do, so I'm not sure if it's the only way that this happens, but it might be a way for you to be able to reproduce the problem.

1Password Version: 7.2.576
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 (1803)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi @SpidersFromMars,

Thanks for reporting this.

We cannot reproduce this. Did you uninstall 1Password 4 completely before installing 1Password 7? If not, you have to uninstall 1Password 4, reboot, and then open 1Password 7 before your browser and see if it works better.

• SpidersFromMars
    SpidersFromMars
    Community Member
    Options

When I installed 1Password 7, I left 1Password 4 installed, imported the vault into 1Password 7, then uninstalled 1Password 4 and rebooted. I also reinstalled the browser extension after that, as it was having problems connecting to the application at first, but I can't be sure I had restarted since then.

After a quick reboot just now, I haven't been able to get this to happen again. The window for the browser extension is also acting differently, and is now closing when I click away from it, and the Chrome window title bar is now graying when the extension window has focus, which it wasn't doing before.

I feel silly for posting something that fixed itself with a restart!

• @SpidersFromMars: Don't feel silly! Upgrades are more complicated that the typical stuff. Plus, Mike could probably tell you some stories about stuff I've come crying to him with too. Usually these issues turn out to be something silly I forgot I did. It happens to us all. :wink:

I'm glad things are now working well for you, but if you run into any other trouble (silly or no), you know where to find us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.